Arranged a quick romantic get away on the morning of the 12th Sept, found this hotel on a late bookings website at a discount rate - despite the discount the reviews on the hotel website were portraying the hotel to be a fantastic retreat and the pictures looked amazing.
On arrival we were immediately disappointed as the front of the hotel looked like something out of a college campus and the actual entrance was certainly nothing to write home about, very bland and looked very unwelcoming. The entrance door was actually closed and was a struggle to open it. On entering the hotel it got a little bit better, it was clear hat this was a building with history and had a old feel to it. It was difficult to find the reception room but got there after 5 minutes looking.
The staff did not really seem that interested and not evening a "welcome", just a "yes". The checkin was rushed, despite nobody else waiting to be checked in with very little information given about the hotel of facilities on offer at the hotel. Not only did we feel unwelcomed but felt that we had 'disturbed' the reception staff.
The two females certainly did not give the right impression and were not, in my opinion, suitably dressed. I have seen better uniforms and presentation in some lost cost budget hotels.
After been given extremely quick instructions on where the room was located we managed to find it after a little looking. The room was standard and nothing spectacular as promised or pictured on the website. I actually felt that we had been missold the room by the website.
The room was dated and in desperate need for a refresh - there are actual cracks in the wall and poly-filler where walls have been damaged, wouldn't be so bad but it needs to be finished off. The bed appeared to be nice but when sat on it with my partner it creaked badly which disturbed us both throughout the night.
The bathroom was a nice surprise considering but I expected a lot more for the money we paid. All in all I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless you want to be ripped off.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the quiet beauty of rural Shropshire, dating from 1718, Haughton Hall has been decorated with timeless style and situated in 35 acres of gardens, woodlands and boasts a lake. An ideal wedding venue location, our relaxing accommodation, spacious public rooms, intimate bar and elegant restaurant create an atmosphere of refined comfort second to none. Haughton Hall enjoys a well stocked coarse fishing pool, and an outdoor tennis court. These are just a few more of the facilities available to you. A weekend break at Haughton Hall offers you the perfect retreat break and the ideal location to immerse yourself in the tranquil and peaceful surroundings of beautiful Shropshire. When staying as our guest at Haughton Hall, you can also enjoy full use of our Leisure Facilities free of charge. Our leisure club has a delightful Swimming Pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna, Steam Room and Multi Gym. Open first thing in the morning it is perfect for a refreshing swim before you start your day or a great stress buster after a busy day. We look forward to welcoming you Nicola Mason - Hotel Manager ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Haughton Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Haughton Hall Shifnal, Shropshire
- Haughton Hall Hotel Shifnal