Stayed at Haughton hall in October with my wife and 13month old child. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised by the building on the on site swimming pool, sauna, steam room... We arrived at about 4pm and saw a banner advertising "special food menu" from 4:30pm - 6:30pm so thought great, settle in the room and get some food sorted for our child.
We went to check in and there was one lady checking people in, there was only myself and one other person checking in. Once the other guest had checked in the receptionist turned to me and huffed in a not happy manner and said "I dont know why everyone checks in at the same time?" I looked around puzzled as there was now only me? Nevermind.... Anyway, checked in and then asked where our room was, now before arriving we did say we had a baby and pram etc, our room was up the stairs, along the corridor, down some more stairs and then all the way at the end!!! When my wife asked if there was any help around, she was met with a short sharp "NO!" of which the lady then sat back down and carried on reading her book! We got to the room of which seemed quite nice, big bathroom, quite a big bedroom, coffee tea facilities, flat screen TV with not a very good quality picture or system. I then thought I could hear music playing so thought, we must be above the bar area? Nope they had put us right above the kitchen and they were playing their radio quite loud and heard banging of pots and pans etc, and even had the extract vent going past outside our room so just heard a constant whirring noise - NOT GOOD when you trying to get your baby to sleep!!!
Anyway went downstairs at around 5pm to get ourselves and baby some food only to be told "sorry the kitchen has said they are closed as they are cleaning the oven!" I explained they were advertising food between 4:30 -6:30pm outside and also on their menu in the bar, again, we got a very uncaring response of... "well the kitchen has said they're closed" . I didnt quite understand why they chose to clean the oven during their advertised serving times? Nonetheless we weren't happy with this at all so ended up heading into Shifnal to get some food....with a baby that was quite hungry by this time.
When we returned later on we went into the bar and had some food (at least the oven would have been clean), sandwiches which were actually quite good, I had the soup and bread roll, of which was nice but the soup was cold and I never got my breadroll..... try and find a member of staff to ask is an effort in itself !!
That evening we had some friends arrive as we had a wedding the next day at Rowton Castle in Shrewsbury (which was FANTASTIC by the way - stay there!) and we were all in the bar waiting to get served for ages - we literally had to hunt for staff to serve us, eventually getting the aforementioned moody receptionist to serve us of which she wasnt happy about at all, after all - she was busy...... reading her novel!
As the night went on and a lot of money was spent by our group in the bar, it became harder and harder to find staff to serve us at the bar, by about 10pm it was like a ghost hotel, and seemed like we were the only ones there and were left to our own devices....
Anyway – to cut a very long story short... Nice location and hotel, let down by their lack of staff & lack of care, the only nice person we met was a Scottish lady with short grey hair. Pool is quite nice but a little on the cool side, the baby pool has the same water as the main pool so too cold for babies really. Breakfast was nice in the morning, - all in all, wouldn’t stay here again.. which is a shame as they could do really well if they had to care more and update the corridors, carpets upstairs.. sorry this review is so long!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the quiet beauty of rural Shropshire, dating from 1718, Haughton Hall has been decorated with timeless style and situated in 35 acres of gardens, woodlands and boasts a lake. An ideal wedding venue location, our relaxing accommodation, spacious public rooms, intimate bar and elegant restaurant create an atmosphere of refined comfort second to none. Haughton Hall enjoys a well stocked coarse fishing pool, and an outdoor tennis court. These are just a few more of the facilities available to you. A weekend break at Haughton Hall offers you the perfect retreat break and the ideal location to immerse yourself in the tranquil and peaceful surroundings of beautiful Shropshire. When staying as our guest at Haughton Hall, you can also enjoy full use of our Leisure Facilities free of charge. Our leisure club has a delightful Swimming Pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna, Steam Room and Multi Gym. Open first thing in the morning it is perfect for a refreshing swim before you start your day or a great stress buster after a busy day. We look forward to welcoming you Nicola Mason - Hotel Manager ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and Cancelon so you can book your Haughton Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Haughton Hall Shifnal, Shropshire
- Haughton Hall Hotel Shifnal