Park House Hotel
Haughton Hall(Shifnal)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
All reviewsbutlers restaurantthe cottageswedding partywedding receptionbridal suitewedding breakfastmain buildingduty managerlovely hotelraf cosfordhuge bedlots of characterfollowing morningvery pleasant staycourse mealafternoon teafull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I arrived at the hotel to a warm greeting and festive snow flakes,which was nice. The room was a little difficult to unlock, but once in was comfortable and nice. The staff were all very pleasant and soon got a party atmosphere going. Starters were nice and plentiful, I had pate. It was the main course that let it down to me the turkey was a little bland, but my colleagues who had beef were even more disappointed the beef was so tough you could had re-sold your shoes. One poor sole even had to get a male colleague to cut it for her. Never less the sweets were good, I enjoyed the eaton mess. The DJ was good and we were able to dance passed the witching hour a wind down in the cosy bar with a few pints send me off to sleep in a comfortable bed. A quick shower in which the shower tap came off in my hand. Breakfast was good fruit juice and full English and a pleasant good bye from the staff. I would stop again, just need some repairs, and an improvement with their meat provider.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
heritageproperties, General Manager at Park House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and thanks for all your kind comments relating to the ChristmasParty you attended, delighted to see you had a good night.

Be assured your comments relating to the meat and to the defect in your room will be discussed with my team.

Kind Regards

Reviewed December 11, 2013

we stayed at park house hotel as part of a short romantic break offer
on arrival we were informed that there were functions on each night and we asked to be put into a room that would not be subject to noise from the functions
unfortunatly even though we were on the second floor the noise was very loud mainly with the base sounds
we could not get to sleep until the functions finished at 1.00 in the morning on both nights
on the plus side the staff were very good and the meals were of a very good standard
shame about the loss of sleep quality
may be they need to look at this when advertising short romantic breaks that could conflict with functions and may be check their rooms when a function is on to see the impact on them

Room Tip: we stayed in room 39 and it was very noisy with the function on the ground floor may be worth speaking to staff about the cottages
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
heritageproperties, General Manager at Park House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review further to your recent stay at the hotel. Thank you for your kind comments relating to the staff and food, I will be sure to pass on your remarks to my team.

Please be assured your comments relating to the noise issue will be looked into and the allocation of your room will be discussed with my Front Office Manager.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

i and a friend spent one night here as we were on our xmas do.The check in was alittle slow but no problem our room was on the top floor and very spacious although you do need a degree to work the telly a nice touch were the homemade biscuits in a jar these are lovely.when we went for breakfast next morning we were told to sit anywhere which we did and we waited and we waited in the end we went to find breakfast and when we did it was not great we had eaten half before we were asked if we would like tea and some toast almost finished before it came not very good

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
heritageproperties, General Manager at Park House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review further to your recent visit to the Park House.

Please be assured I will personally investigate the issues you encountered at breakfast.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We first visited the Park House Hotel 3 years ago as a mini honeymoon break. For our 3 year anniversary we decided to go back as we had such a great stay the first time.

The welcome at reception was fantastic, very happy smiling staff members which is what you want. The decoration hasn't changed. The carpets are in desperate need of changing, they must be 20 years old if not more. There's originality but they look tired and don't do the hotel any favours.

The room (number 3) was lovely. Very spacious and clean. My only real gripe with it was that there are no plug sockets next to the bed, I use my phone as an alarm and had to plug it in across the room so come wake up time I had to jump out of bed to turn it off. I know it's not a major issue but a personal bug bear of mine.

The food at the restaurant is excellent as it was on our first stay. The restaurant and bar are lovely and most of the staff were very happy and polite, a couple were a bit glum but not rude. We only had two issues with the restaurant, the staff kept on trying to seat us next to other diners even though the restaurant was virtually empty. We had to ask for another table on several occasions which was annoying as we just wanted our privacy. Breakfast on the last morning we were sat at a table and 2 minutes later another couple were sat next to us and we were the only 2 couples in the whole place. The second issue was Sunday evening. We can only assume that the main chef was not working as the standard of the food was no way near our other meals. I had the roast beef and it was clear that as we were the last people to eat of the day the food had been under heat lamps for ages. I was told that the veg was cauliflower cheese, carrot, courgette & green beans with roast potatoes. When it came out we were told there was no cauliflower left and we had extra potatoes to compensate. We had what looked like a whole courgette, half a carrot, 2 green beans (I'm not joking, we had literally two!) and 5 extra potatoes. The extra potatoes were black and soggy, clearly had been cooked at lunch and re-heated in the evening. I did complain and the bar manager gave us a free drink as an apology which was good but he should not have been put in that position by his staff who should really look at the food before bringing it out, if they wouldn't eat it themselves don't serve it to others.

The leisure facilities are good, could do with some modernisation but still nice to use. The most annoying thing is the button to activate the Jacuzzi is on a wall 5 feet from it so you have to get out to turn it on and you have to be Hercules to push it in. The other thing is the windows face the car park in the pool and sauna so at night you feel very exposed. This could be easily solved by tinting or mirroring the bottom few windows. There is also a large window which we thought was mirrored on one side as from the pool you could see into a main room which was set up for a wedding, we were quite surprised when we found out you could see into the pool from the room, if I were getting married I wouldn't want to look up from cutting my cake to see some random people in swimwear walking around!

Don't let these things put you off from staying here. They are really only minor things (you will see from my other reviews that I have very high standards and expectations having been in and around the bar/restaurant business all my life) I would happily return here, by comparison the staff are many times better than any other venue I have visited in the last few years. They are attentive and helpful, a credit to their training. A few (inexpensive) tweaks could really make this hotel close to perfect. The only thing they can't do is move it's location, this hotel in its own landscaped gardens would be fantastic!

Overall a good 8.5 out of ten.

Room Tip: We have stayed in room 2 & 3. Both are lovely but they do over look the road into Shifnal so expect some road noise. Don't expect great views but everything else is great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your recent review further to your recent stay with us.

Thank you for a detailed account of your stay and for your observations and kind comments about the team. Please be assured the adverse comments you encountered will be discussed with my team and your remarks regarding the decor in some areas are always passed on to the owner.

I hope we see you soon and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed here for one night while visiting the area. We were warmly welcomed at check in and shown to our room in the adjoining garden cottage annex. We were given a room there because, it was explained, that there was a wedding party that day and we would not be disturbed. This, it turned out was a very thoughtful touch, as we had a very peaceful night with the added bonus that I could park directly in front of the cottage door.
The hotel is a big place and quite spread out but it has a comfortable bar area and the staff were more than accommodating in tuning the TV in to the rugby match that we requested on Saturday night.
The room was quite clean although it did appear slightly worn. I also felt that our bathroom could have done with a little work. The ceiling needed a coat of paint and the hot tap spigot was missing a couple of lugs. A word of warning here. The cold tap opened clockwise i.e. backwards.. I almost ripped it off the sink trying to open it the normal way!
We didn't take our evening meal at the hotel but decided to see Shifnal, as we were only there for a few hours, but the breakfast the following morning was very good and substantial.
The best feature of this hotel, however, was the staff. Helpful, considerate and friendly. A real asset to their employers.
Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Please be assured your kind comments relating to the staff will be passed on to my team and your observations regarding the decor will be discussed with my MD.

Comments such as your only enhances the staff's performance.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Richard Jones _ General Manager