“Well Deserving of 4 Stars”
Review of Park House Hotel

Park House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Shifnal
Pontyclun, United Kingdom
“Well Deserving of 4 Stars”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed here for one night while visiting the area. We were warmly welcomed at check in and shown to our room in the adjoining garden cottage annex. We were given a room there because, it was explained, that there was a wedding party that day and we would not be disturbed. This, it turned out was a very thoughtful touch, as we had a very peaceful night with the added bonus that I could park directly in front of the cottage door.
The hotel is a big place and quite spread out but it has a comfortable bar area and the staff were more than accommodating in tuning the TV in to the rugby match that we requested on Saturday night.
The room was quite clean although it did appear slightly worn. I also felt that our bathroom could have done with a little work. The ceiling needed a coat of paint and the hot tap spigot was missing a couple of lugs. A word of warning here. The cold tap opened clockwise i.e. backwards.. I almost ripped it off the sink trying to open it the normal way!
We didn't take our evening meal at the hotel but decided to see Shifnal, as we were only there for a few hours, but the breakfast the following morning was very good and substantial.
The best feature of this hotel, however, was the staff. Helpful, considerate and friendly. A real asset to their employers.
Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
heritageproperties, General Manager at Park House Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review further to your recent visit to the Park House.

Please be assured your kind comments relating to the staff will be passed on to my team and your observations regarding the decor will be discussed with my MD.

Comments such as your only enhances the staff's performance.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Regards

Richard Jones _ General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
England
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed here two nights for work and the company had also booked the hotel for a work event so my comments are about staying as a guest and also as a conference/training venue.

My overall impression is how fantastic the staff are. I arrived late due to car problems and missed my eve meal - the receptionist Niki S went out of her way to organise some food for me. My car problems continued through my stay and Nicki, Lee M and Katie B organised the resolution, calling a local company to tell them what was needed, getting a quote, arranging for the company to come to the hotel to fix the car, forwarding my car keys etc. Because I couldn't actually be there to do this myself as I was working, this was incredible service. I hadn't assumed they would offer any of this, but Niki suggested it, Lee organised it and together with Katie managed it - all of them doing cheerfully taking on board this responsibility and communicating effectively between themselves and with me. For this alone, the hotel deserves a 5 star and I hope the hotel management recognise and reward the quality of the staff who would make any stay comfortable for guests.

While I have mentioned three staff, everyone at the hotel is welcoming and friendly. During the training event, the staff were all very friendly and responsive to our needs and nothing was too much trouble. Vicky in reception looked after us really well as did the person (who I understand has worked at the hotel all his life) who organised the room and refreshments for us.

I was very impressed with my bedroom, large and elegant. The training facilities were great. Aside from breakfast, we had lunch for the group provided - both hot buffet meals. The organisers had forgotten to order vegetarian meals and when I mentioned this, the hotel quickly and without fuss arranged this. My evening meal was lovely.

I have read some of the reviews and would disagree with many of the points:
- Wi-fi worked in my room perfectly (and was free, unlike many hotels in the UK).
- Breakfast was perfectly cooked, nicely presented, quick and catered to my needs as a vegetarian.
- the room was a good temperature, TV worked fine, room was quiet, clean and rather lovely. It was a shame I had to leave it to go to work because I'd have enjoyed luxuriating in it for longer!
- I didn't use the pool/sauna but my colleague did and had no complaints.

If I had any issues, I would agree with other reviewers that some areas of the hotel need updating and while the price of drinks is steep - it is reflective of other similar establishements. A sugestion to the hotel to offer a bit more advice about using the freeview - there are additonal buttons you need to press to access a clear picture. None of these things would put me off from returning - just to experience excellent staff service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
heritageproperties, General Manager at Park House Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review and for all your kind comments. Thank you for singling out key members of staff, your comments will be relayed to all my team.

Comments such as yours only enhances morale and performance and enhable the hotel to improve it's standards.

Once again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Park House in the not too distant future.

Shifnal, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Because we live in Shifnal we wanted to get married in the town. The Park House Hotel didn't let us down. Hayley looked after us with the planning and answered all our questions and made it a lot easier than it might have been. Apart from a couple of glitches the day before everything went well and Nick made sure that everything ran realy smoothly. We hired two rooms and they were perfect for both the day and night part of the wedding. All aspects of the wedding fitted together well. Both the wedding breakfast and the food for the evening were very good and everbody said that they enjoyed what they ate. I stayed the nighr before in one of the cottage rooms which was very comfortable and peaceful. We had Suite 2 for the wedding night which was spacious and well equipped. The bottle of bubbly was welcome. We also had to have the windows open as it was very hot! We had a shared breakfast with those guests who stayed the night. All in all a great place to stay and have a wedding. Everyone enjoyed themselves.

Room Tip: The cottage rooms at the back of the hotel are good and are quieter, especially if there is a weddin...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
heritageproperties, Manager at Park House Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and many thanks for all your kind comments. Please be assured your kind comments will be passed on to my team.

I am delighted you had a special day to remember and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This was my third visit to this hotel and I will be coming back despite some of the hotels short comings.Many of the areas are past there sell by dates and in need of refurbishment. The bar area is downright scruffy in parts and a lot of the paintwork is chipped and scuffed. The bar and restaurant lacks atmosphere and the drinks are definitely "Hotel" priced. However the staff are excellent. They are polite.cheerful and helpful and a credit to the management. The breakfast was hearty English style and to my personal taste. Could do with a better choice of eggs. My latest stay was in one of the "cottage" rooms which was clean cosy and well appointed. Loads of hot water and firm but comfortable bed .... works for me.

Room Tip: I prefer the cottage rooms. Tend to be more updated and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for talking the time to writea review further to your recent visit.

Please be assured your comments regarding the decor and appearance of Butlers Bar is being taken seriously. I have regular meetings with the owner and a project to refurbish Butlers is in place for the end of this month,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and breakfast, I will ensure this is passed on to my team.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 1 night on Saturday 9 November 2013 - £95 per room B&B. Room great, leisure facilities enjoyable, breakfast awful possibly the worst hotel breakfast I have eaten and definitely not what you would expect from a four star hotel! The hotel web site heavily promotes Sunday lunch which sounds delicious but unfortunately we couldn't reserve a table before 5pm as they were fully booked. At first we were disappointed by this but after tasting breakfast this morning we were relieved to have the opportunity to have our Sunday lunch else where.

Room Tip: Check if the room is smoking or non smoking at the time of booking.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mandy m
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review further to your recent visit to the hotel.

Please be assured I will look into the points you raise about breakfast personaly.

Our Sunday Lunch offer this year has proved extremelly popular and we manage bookings in line with the capacity of the Restaurant and practicalities with regards to service, this weekend was extremelly busy between 12.30pm - 5.00pm and the earliest available time to book on booking enquiry was 5.00pm.

Regards

Halesowen, west midlands
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I planned my wedding with the Park House for the 4th October 2013. I stayed in suite 2 the night before and the night of my wedding. From check in the afternoon before to check out the day after, my experience is one of complete professionalism from all staff concerned. The hotel is a lovely place to hold a wedding. The food for the wedding breakfast was perfect, and I did not hear of one complaint from any of my guests. Nick the manager was great on the day. He lead us through the whole process and made sure that we were kept informed all day through. The room was set up perfect, and any worries or concerns were dealt with straight away. Suite 2 is a three room suite. It has a lovely living room area with tea and coffee facilities and a flat screen tv by the fire place. The bedroom had a four poster bed, which was a lovely comfortable bed, and which had rose petals laid out on it when I got back to the room on the evening. The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath and there was a bottle of champers left for myself and my new husband to share. The little touches were much appreciated. The breakfast the following day was in a room specifically for myself, my husband and our guests that had stopped over. The food was replenished regularly and there was nothing more I could have asked for. Everyone commented how nice the hotel and the staff were. The only complaint I would have was that my suite was extremely warm, and we had to wedge the windows open. Other than that I could not have asked for anything more from the park house and it's professional team of staff.

Room Tip: Suite 2 is great for longer stays as it feels like a mini flat to live in for a couple of days.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
heritageproperties, Manager at Park House Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review further to your recent wedding at the hotel.

Thank you for all your kind comments relating to the food, staff and service I will pass all your comments onto the team.

A day to remember at the Park House hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Arrived mid afternoon Sat. October12th 2013 and was checked in by a very pleasant and helpfull receptionist. My husband and I were in room 69 in the cottages, the room was spotlessly clean, beautifully furnished and well equipped. A wedding party was taking place as well as our party and other guests.The meal was good as was the breakfast next morning and the service was first class. Unfortunately I was taken ill that evening, (nothing to do with my meal) resulting with me having to go to hospital. The manager Nick and the rest of the staff could not have been more helpful, nothing was too much trouble for which we will be eternaly gratefull.would certainly stay there again but without my little drama

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
heritageproperties, Manager at Park House Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Mrs Stainton

Many thanks for your kind comments and for taking the time to write a review.I do hope you are feeling better and will pass on your kind comments to Nikk and the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Park house in the not too distant future.

Kind Regads

Richard Jones - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shifnal
Haughton Hall
Haughton Hall
#1 of 4 in Shifnal
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel
Ramada Hotel Telford Ironbridge
Telford Hotel & Golf Resort
Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge

Been to Park House Hotel? Share your experiences!