“Enjoyable return@”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Shifnal
Welshpool, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable return@”
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We returned for a second Valentine stay. Very often a second visit can be disappointing but we enjoyed our stay as much as the first time. From our arrival, to afternoon tea, evening meal, strawberries by candlelight and a hearty breakfast, everything was excellent. The food was superb and all the staff are very polite, efficient and helpful, nothing is too much trouble. Highly recommended. Thank you.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Shrewsbury
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed for a Valentines treat in a superior double,overall we had a lovely time. The little touches like rose petals and candles around the room and champagne on arrival were lovely. Facilities in the room were good and the mattress was super comfy. Afternoon tea and evening meal were of a high standard, but I think what made our stay was the staff; obviously dedicated to providing a high quality professional service.
The only points that's would make are:
- Noise. I understand it being part a key hotel business to do weddings, BUT we were not informed when booking that our romantic valentines room would be directly above the room where a wedding disco was. Until about 1 in the morning we could name every song being played. Bit of a mood killer.
- Neither the sauna or steam room were on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning, despite asking twice on Sunday.
- There appears to be a couple of caps missing on jacuzzi jets, I hit my foot on these a couple of times.

Overall though we had a lovely time and thought it was good value for money, will probably return next year.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a wedding evening do on and how far away your room is from the noise. Superior doubl...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Levens,
Reviewed February 16, 2013

If you want to explore Shropshire towns and/or countryside, you'll find Shifnal is a good base. Our visit was in early February 2013, so it was off-season. but the Park House Hotel was all geared up to look after its guests. Ours was a family visit also, and the hotel made an excellent centre, with all the town facilities within walking distance. It's quite a big hotel and has the facilities to match. Breakfast was prompt and freshly cooked, as was our Bar Snack in the evening, with generous quantities, and good, pleasant service. From reception to Maid service this was an enjoyable two-night stay, offering, at winter price, good value for money. We'll certainly visit again, but probably in off-peak time.

Room Tip: Some of the "cottage" rooms are in a more-recent two-storey block with no lift, so should...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Holywell, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Just returned from a weekend break at Park House Hotel and felt the need to write a review, something I've never bothered with before albeit have read many of them. I booked this as a surprise for my boyfriends birthday, and from the minute I booked direct (asking the lady on reception every question you could think to ask) to the minute we left, I can only say how pleasurable it was.

Every member of staff we came into contact with, reception, cleaners, bar staff, waiters & waitresses, were all lovely, helpful and friendly. The bar area was comfortable, cosy and very relaxing, the pool was a nice temperature, the jacuzzi very relaxing and the food, breakfast, afternoon tea and three course evening meal were all excellent.

Best of all though was the room....room 2, the bed was huge, the bath was gorgeous and the attention to detail placed on making our stay was the best ever. I did treat us to a special package weekend which included champers, but didn't expect the rosé petals and candles....just lovely. A break we'll never forget, and positive we'll return soon. Thankyou to all of the lovely team at Park House Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights whilst working in the area. I am often amused by the likes of the AA who award average hotels 4 stars, I can only imagine the criteria is 'does the bedroom have a door...'

Anyway, the good bits. Great location, close to M54 lovely grounds and a nice building. Communal areas well kept and maintained and clean throughout and the breakfast was good.

Now, the not so good. Some would say I am being picky but at £85 a night I think attention to detail is little to ask, and if they spent £385 I paid this week on the room they could fix all of the problems:

1. Shower Curtain must have been the cheapest money could buy, so it represented a sheet of this plastic which clinged to me every time I had a shower, it drove me mad. Spend a little more and get one with some weight to it.

2. No curtains, only roman blinds. Which if fitted 'in' the window would be fine, but they stand of the walls by 3 inches so add no light restriction whatsoever. In addition, because its an old building with sash windows which I like, they are full of drafts, so no protection. Whats wrong with curtains?

3. Tiny TV, the other end of a large room and the back was missing from the remote. annoying because the batteries fall out.

4. Radiators luke warm, 3 times I had a visit from the manager etc to fix but it was clearly a lack of pressure in the system as the bleeding produced no air or water. They did provide an electric heater so I was grateful for that.

5. Old cushions on the bed. Why do hotels do this, I am never over pleased with heavy, dark coloured cushions on hotel beds, I can only imagine how long it was since they were washed!

6. Lack of power sockets near the bed. In this day and age most people I would imagine need to charge there phone over night and also use if for an alarm clock. Its frustrating and unnecessary not having a power socket anywhere near the bed.

There is lots of other bits and bobs, cheap low energy bulbs that take an eternity to charge up, crooked lampshades, head board that does not reach the bed, worn decoration the list goes on.

So, Park House Management, why not invest in room 29 the £385 I gave you and bring the room closer to the 4 star you claim to be.

I am a disappointed customer.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We want to say a very big thank you to all the staff at the Park House Hotel before and on the day of our wedding.
No one could have done more for us. Hayley the wedding planner was always very helpful no matter of how many times i phoned and asked questions

Before the wedding they explained how thing would work and I felt very relaxed, changed just a few days before was no problem for them.

On the day when I was getting ready there nothing was to much trouble for them. The day went with out a single problem.

Food was excellent and lots of our guest have said how they enjoyed it.

The whole day was managed very well with a very big thank you to Nick for looking after us.

We had the honey money suit which was delightful and both of us have said for a special treat we would really like anther night.

Breakfast the next day for us and our guest that stayed for again excellent with staff serving us very helpful.

If you are thinking for your wedding or just a night away this is the perfect place and we do hope to visit many more time.

Again a very big thank you to every one for all your hard work on our very special day

John and Zoe Hamer

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zoe H
heritageproperties, General Manager at Park House Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Firstly, Congratulations Mr & Mrs Hamer!!! We are so glad that you enjoyed your special day with us! The planning and the preparations have been a pleasure and we are happy to have shared it with you.

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review, and we look forward to seeing you back soon.
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed for 1 night as a surprise treat for my partner..Check in was smooth and with help from staff member Richard I managed to get to our luggage to the Bridal Suite without my partner knowing...

Room 2 is a stunning suite of rooms with a very large 4 poster bed and fantastic Jacuzzi in the thoroughly modern bathroom. We made full use of the the Pool,Sauna and Steam room made even more special as we were the only ones to be using them on both occasions.

Breakfast in bed was delivered on time and cooked to perfection..The staff were helpful and I cannot fault the service we were given..I just wish we could have stayed longer.

Many Thanks to You All for a perfect stay

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shifnal
Haughton Hall
Haughton Hall
#1 of 4 in Shifnal
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel
Ramada Hotel Telford Ironbridge
Telford Hotel & Golf Resort
The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel

Been to Park House Hotel? Share your experiences!