“Clean modern and friendly”
Review of Anvil Lodge

Anvil Lodge
Ranked #2 of 5 Shifnal B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Spotless large room and good breakfast. Next door to a quiet pub with real ale.

• Stayed: June 2011

Reviewed May 31, 2011

Needed a reasonable B&B for a wedding we were attending at Weston Park. The Anvil Lodge was a great find and just a short taxi ride from Weston Park. The room was brilliant with bath and shower! Breakfasts were huge with a wide choice. Would certainly recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2011

On 9 May 11 my wife and I arrived at Anvil Lodge to a relaxed and warm greeting from Michael and Judy. Anvil lodge is located on Aston Road that runs out of Shifnal to the East. No problem finding the address with or without Satnav (TF11 8DU). The site is in an urban area and within easy walking distance to shops and restaurants in the town. My business was at RAF Cosford and the airfield was an easy 5 to 10 minutes drive from Anvil Lodge. Judy placed us in a room to the rear of the property, away from the road. The room is spacious and spotlessly clean. My wife always 'checks out' the bathroom first, and she was completely happy with the layout and glistening white-ware. I enjoyed the shower unit that provided masses of HOT water.

The large bed (Super King I guess) is very comfortable and made up with good quality bedding. We enjoyed a good nights sleep, but were aware of traffic from around 7am. Not a major problem but relevant on a humid and clammy night which led us to open windows for air circulation (a fan is provided).

The breakfast, cooked by Michael was outstanding. I choose the SMALL Full English, thank heavens as I doubt that I could have done justice to The LARGE Full English. The selection of cereals, juices, and fruit is better than in most 5 star country house hotels we have stayed at! My wife was suffering from a bad headache and passed on the breakfast but Judy was very helpful and offered her a paracetamol, and suggested that we delay our departure to give my wife a chance to sleep and overcome the headache. At no time did we feel pressured to leave the room, on the contrary.

I had an opportunity to chat to Michael, who is a no nonsense and practical host. Judy and Michael make a good team and know how to look after their guests. Their project to add a dedicated Guest house on land next to their Pub is inspired and has been planned and managed with foresight and attention to detail. I guess this project is one of their better decisions and they are rightly proud of their achievement. We will definitely return when next we visit RAF Cosford.

Our thanks to our Hosts

Room Tip: The room at the rear suited us.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank HRH84
Reviewed April 19, 2011

The warm welcome we received from Mike & Judy was just the start of a great overnight stay at the Anvil Lodge.

Our spacious room was spotlessly clean, and tidy. The bed itself (we booked a double) was the biggest we've ever seen in a hotel/B&B. Along with the usual facilities of TV and welcome tray there thoughtful touches such as a hair dryer in the drawers (and a mirror close enough so you could use it!), high quality shower/bath gels and the fluffiest towels ever.

Breakfast is excellent with a range of fruit, cerals, yoghurts, toast, high quality preserves, juices etc, and of course the famous full english all served with tea, coffee and the sort of attention to detail you don't see very often any more. One thing is for sure you won't go hungry here.

We can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank curioustraveller28
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Mike and Judy run this great b&b close to all amenities yet at the edge of the village of Shifnal. Well planned and comfortable rooms and a great breakfast served in the morning. Complementary Wifi is great.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed March 6, 2011

From the minute we arrived it just got better and better!! The most friendliest welcome you could want - greeted by Mike met Judy later in the pub (2 minutes away -log fire - locals, great beer what more could you wish for! Our room was in the recently built lodge next door. Pure Luxury! Enormous bed,fresh clean soft sheets the best pillows/mattress.The bathroom - well where to begin! Beautiful bath, sperate shower,complimentary toiletries - proper soft bath SHEETS (no pretend bath towel's that don't meet - here) just wonderful. Judy's design/colour choice's are a credit to her, just as the photo's show,what you see is what you get (unlike some other places we have stayed) Everything in the room/dining room /Pub was spotlessly clean. Now -Mike's Breakfast!! Be prepared not to want anymore food for at least a day! All freshly cooked - the dining room is beautifully set out,nothing is to much trouble for Judy and Mike- we were spoilt! It is the BEST B/B we have ever stayed in - and we have stayed in a few!! So, needless to say we will be returning - very soon. Thank you, Judy and Mike you are the nicest - friendliest hosts we have met in a long time.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2011

I stayed at the Anvil lodge while away on businesss. Mick and his partner are wonderful hosts. They asked my name and remembered it throughout my stay. I was shown to my room and even given a recommendation of a good running route (I wanted to run that evening)!

The room was of a good size; clean and tidy with fresh bedding, a modern bathroom with separate shower and bath. Nice selection of toileteries and two big towels.

I popped into the pub later in the evening and was amazed how friendly the locals were. I had a good chat with Mick over a pint of very good bitter.

I was asked what I wanted for breakfast and this was made fresh at the time I specified. They could not do enough.

Not too far from a series of restaurants, which is very handy for the evening.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business