“Mediocre food...”

Ranked #24 of 32 Restaurants in Shifnal
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located inside the elegant Park House Hotel – a 17th century country house on the outskirts of the market town of Shifnal in Shropshire - Butler's Bar and Restaurant is a tranquil and stylish restaurant serving contemporary bistro-style fare. The traditional dining room – with wood-panelled walls, views of the surrounding countryside and contemporary tables and chairs – creates a quiet yet opulent atmosphere for romantic escapes and special celebrations. Butler's Bar is perfect for relaxing pre/post dinner drinks, and boasts high-backed leather chairs, solid wooden tables, cosy sofas, a selection of real ales and a list of new and old world wines. Butler's is popular with both locals and hotel guests, and is a unique spot for memorable meals.
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for the week whilst working in the area. I picked this hotel because if the convenient food facilities, and on my first night I headed to the bar for my tea.

I ordered the Pea and Mint Soup for my starter which came in the biggest bowl you could imagine, yet consisted of the smallest 'puddle' of fairly tasteless soup nestled in the middle, it was actually quite amusing (I took a picture and will try and upload it!)

For main I had the Piri Piri Chicken with Potato Wedges. The chicken was ok, not Piri Piri by any stretch but it was averagely flavoured chicken, and the wedges were very nice.

Here lies the problem, and my reason for 2 stars. This food was a fine dining attempt served in a traditional bar. I wanted bar style food, and so I ordered from the bar menu. However what I received was an effort at 'fine dining' that failed to live up to that either.

Placing a chicken breast sliced at 45 degrees in both directions placed onto a bed of mixed twigs is neither, it's just confused...

What is wrong with good home style cooking with a bistro menu, it's simple and would fit the bill. Interestingly I heard 3 separate groups of other people with similar conversations amongst them that evening... Odd that...

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Service is 5 start in this restaurant, and the food was excellent, over our stay we eat twice hear and both times really enjoyed it

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I always look forward to staying a the Park House Hotel but the bar Butlers Bar menu is not particularly inspiring when you consider the competition in Shifnall. The food is always well cooked and of good quality, just a little boring and quite small portions. On the plus side the beer and wine are good, there is a nice atmosphere in the bar and FREE WIFI !!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had a few meals in the Butlers Bar. The service and the food was excellent. If you are in the area. I would recommend the food there.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just had a Sunday lunch with friends here and can only say, fantastic. Great welcome from a great team of waiting staff. Very professional, friendly and attentive but not in your face at all. Perfect balance for service. The selection of beers is good, the Doombar was especially well kept and would indicate to me that the cellar is well maintained. Like the bar stock the food menu is more than adequate and should provide something for most palates. These ice was prompt once we had ordered, the food was well presented, well cooked and was excellent value. If you are looking for a lunch or dinner venue in this area I would highly recommend a visit here. We have not stayed at the hotel personally but our friends who we met for lunch have stayed here and this is why we went here for lunch. According to them the standard and service as a hotel guest is equally high.