“disappointing food and poor service”
Review of The Dining Rooms - CLOSED

The Dining Rooms
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have been here before but standards have slipped badly. The carvery was disappointing but the service was terrible. We waited ages for our puddings and had to ask more than once for basic things. The bread arrived well after the starters were finished. The meal took over three hours! Although it was busy at the start by the end it was half empty and we felt completely forgotten. We were a large party and deserved better. Drinks were very expensive and the room was cold.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have been to the Walls many times, normally when we cannot get a reservation elsewhere, such was the case this time. It is a wonderful building and they do a very good job of creating a nice atmosphere, this makes the overall experience acceptable. The menu seems tired,I find it difficult to choose, not because there is too much choice but because there too few things that appeal. On this visit the food for our party of four was OK with the exception of a pork terrine that was very poor containing some ragged scraps of pork, crude chunks of celery and carrot all held together by a rubbery jelly, in contrast the duck, which has been on the menu for a very long time, was excellent. The Walls will remain my last resort for European food in Oswestry behind Sebastian's and Brooks.

gohughes, Owner at The Dining Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thank you for your constructive comments and overall fair mark. If anybody is looking for an out and out foodie experience we are not the first choice.
Our philosophy has always been more about good food cooked properly rather than cutting edge combinations or presentation. A proportion of our menus change at least once, often twice a day, our fixed price menu changes every 6 weeks and the a'la carte menu around 4 times a year and we still retain our most popular dishes, maybe changing the sauce- as with the duck.
May I also agree with your review of Checkers in Montgomery, it is excellent.
We feed more than a thousand people a week and even if we wanted to be MIchelin star standard we would not be able to afford or initially find, the cooking and waiting staff to operate at that standard. Wishing you luck in getting tables at your preffered establishments- we are still happy to be your third choice.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Its just over 12 months since I last reviewed The Walls, but I have in fact been there many times since. On this occassion, I had been out for the day with friends we didn't get back to Oswestry until just after 9pm. We had no booking, but we called at The Walls just on the offchance. The place was packed, but yes, they would be happy to accommodate us. The service was quick and efficient, even though it was really busy and there was also a private function in the adjoining room. This made for a lively atmosphere, which was great. There's nothing worse that silent restaurants. The food was excellent, as always. I would happily recommend The Walls to anyone.

Thank you very much. Your review demonstrates more eloquently than I have managed thus far that you understand and appreciate what we are and what we do.
Thank you and would you like to write my next brochure.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Popped in for lunch on Saturday with some family and as always was not disappointed. Great cosy atmosphere, friendly down to earth service and great food. Also the Sunday carvery here cannot be beaten!! Its simply fantastic. I can only think the negative reviews are from people who are expecting to be treated like royalty when i think the team here are going for a more friendly down to earth style of service which personally I love. Don't go changing.

Thank you and my apologies for taking so long to respond. It's usually the bad reviews that get dealt with fastest. Your support is much appreciated.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

A wonderful building with great ambience, but I feel the menu is a bit tired, dated and unimaginative. For the prices they charge I would expect a better choice for vegetarians and for them to ring the changes more often. Over the last few years I think every time I have been, I have been offered the same choices over and over,and none of them are much better than I could rustle up at home for less than a a tenth of the price. Come on The Walls, you can do better!!

This review is a little harsh and seems to be part of a vegetarian campaign- several other local establishments suffering a similar fate on the same day! We are not a vegetarian restaurant but do take the provision of vegetarian and vegan options seriously. We have one or two perrenial favourites that have been on our menu for a long time because people like them but otherwise our menus including the vegetarian dishes change frequently and in any case we often are asked to vary and adapt the content of these dishes.