“Luxury accommodation in beautiful surroundings...”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Average
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Marianne...
Perth, Australia
“What you see is NOT what you get.”
Reviewed April 1, 2018 for a stay in February 2018
people found this review helpful

I recently visited the UK Oswestry Trefonen countryside and stayed once again at Greystones Cottage Trefonen.
I Love the location firstly as I was born in this village, and I Love the views. Its convenient.
However since our first visit 2 years ago - a few things have changed.
Firstly please Note: - the pictures up on the website is not what is actually there,
i.e. NO kitchen as the picture show, this is false advertising...both on Sykes Cottage website and Greystones website and others - this part of the house has now been removed. There is now a small area with a hotplate microwave, sink.
I arrived from Australia after travelling 24 hours and the cottage was not ready for guests 3pm. In fact Mrs Liston [ the owner who lives next door adjoining] was doing her washing in the cottage, wet sheets and underwear on the radiators. She advised her mother was incontinent and that her washing machine had broken down next door. The cottage was not clean, the small fridge still had food in it so I had to ask for the food to be removed the next day still not cleaned once she removed the food.
The pictures on the web also reflect light, bright, and open, Fact - it was cluttered with stored extra-large furniture from her home next door due to renovating the floor.. Depressing and dark old furniture, tall and wide sat in the middle on the conservatory.
On arrival Mrs Liston asked "if I minded" ??? what could I say, offering to make a meal to compensate for the inconvenience. I am a paying guess and pay the full amount.
Mrs Liston complained that I was using too much wood?? as there was no coal only one bucket on arrival, it was winter and very cold in Feb. I was advised that they could not afford the amount of wood I was using nor the heating as thing are tight financially for them. My second day I was in bed with Novovirus and unwell for 4 days hence trying to keep warm. Heating also went off early evening, I requested could it please be put on..
Next - the internet was off every night after 5pm which was a problem for me as I work for myself and needed international connection. I repeatedly had to request could they please turn on the Wi-Fi..???.so I could work.
ALL in All - I did not arrive to home baked cakes, nor a nice tea setting as someone had described last year on trip advisor!. The first time we visited that did happen over 2 years ago, but the standard have dropped.
Pictures on the web reflect a very different view of the cottage, on the side of the holiday cottage is not glass but a wood stack! and closed in. Open glass at the front and people continually walk past so note: - No privacy.
My visit this time was really disappointing considering what I have paid, and what I had to put up with. The morning I was leaving not even a good bye nor thank you - very rude once again considering I had stayed 21 nights.

Mrs Liston the owner has gone through a difficult time of late I understand this, it is very evident with the holiday cottage and standards. I have put a formal complaint into Sykes Holiday Cottages as my agreement and payment is with them. They have yet to view the cottage and compare my factual pictures and the false advertising to draw people in.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Rebecca S
“Luxury accommodation in beautiful surroundings - perfect holiday break”
Reviewed August 9, 2017 for a stay in August 2016
people found this review helpful

I cannot fault this cottage. We have stayed here two summers in a row for a week at a time for our family summer holiday.

From the moment you are greeted by a table laden with Izy's home baked goods and beautiful tea service, to the little touches that surprise you as you settle in - fresh cut flowers beautifully arranged from the garden, sweet little tea sets in the bedrooms - this really does feel like a week away from it all in the lap of luxury.

The place is spotlessly clean. I once ran my finger along a cupboard in a corner and there wasn't a speck of dust.

Izy has many talents as florist, interior designer and chef and she's put them all to good use here. The cottage has been decorated and styled perfectly that every room is a pleasure to look at and comfortable to be in.

The sun room is lovely with plenty of space for kids to play in or adults to laze in the sunshine with the beautiful view and read books.

We have made good use of the BBQ each time, having been blessed with brilliant weather!

The beds are very comfy, the shower is great, everything works apart from the Wifi was a bit dodgy when we were there!

We've done a couple of days out to Barmouth from here which is a lengthy but beautiful drive and really enjoyed the beach - if you go, get fish and chips from the amazing Mermaid - best we've ever had!

Highly recommend this cottage, and can't wait to come back, hopefully soon!

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing