“Great place,Great food,Great staff.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sweeney Hall Hotel

Sweeney Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Oswestry
Chester, United Kingdom
“Great place,Great food,Great staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We were in a party of seventeen dining at the restaurant at sweeney hall,from the time we arrived untill the time we left the staff were friendly,warm and very proffessional,everyone got their meals(which were mainly 3 course) in a very quick time and all together, but i must add that the staff did NOT hover around waiting to snatch your empty plates in between courses so you did not feel rushed,the restaurant was very busy but it has a lovely atmosphere,its very tastefully decorated & spotlessly clean.The menu has a good selection of starters,mains,lightbites & desserts,everyone in our party thoroughly enjoyed their meals they were good quality fresh food cooked extremely well and presented beautifully and tasted wonderfull,the puddings OMG were amazing.We were all really impressed with sweeney hall and that takes some doing.I have no worries in recomending this restaurant to anyone at all.

• Stayed May 2013
seprawn, Owner at Sweeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the trouble to leave this review.Your comments are greatly appreciated and I agree Olwen's pudds are amazing.Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We spent a long weekend at this family run hotel and really liked it. The setting is lovely, the reception rooms pleasant and our bedroom was fashionably decorated, but what we enjoyed was the personal touch of a hotel run by a family. Some hotels are bland, but not this one. OK it was not perfect but whenever we asked for something which was missing ... like extra shampoo ... it was immediately delivered with a smile which in my book goes a long way to make an enjoyable stay. The food was good and deserves a special mention.
The one suggestion that I want to make (and this is directed to the manager who I hope reads these reviews!) is that as the wardrobe is half height you should provide some way to hang up a dress ... a loose hanger would be fine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
seprawn, Manager at Sweeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for the feed back and we hope to see you back with us again very soon.
keighley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I have driven past this hotel several times over the years and always thought that it looked like a great place to stay. It is set back from the main road and access is via a long driveway. I stayed in the self contained cottage at the rear of the premises. Very quiet and peaceful. Well furnished and decorated. Went into the hotel for our evening meal. Excellent value and the meal was delicious. The service was first class with warm friendly staff. All in all a visit well worth waiting for. I hope to stay again soon. I got the feeling that the hotel was under new management.

Room Tip: Would highly recommend the cottage
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
seprawn, Manager at Sweeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for the great feed back.We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay in the cottage.We have been here for 20 years though so not what you would call new management but I am pleased if we gave the impression of being fresh and new.
shrewsbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

The Annual shoot dinner was held here, and often when the are large groups the food can be bland or over cooked.
This was not the case with Sweeney Hall.
The meal was very fresh and was superbly cooked. We all had pre booked our choices, mine was the Duck. Crispy and a large portion. My husband had steak, this was tender and tasty
The vegetables were all piping hot and plenty some
There were plenty of staff, and the main guy called to make sure we all had everything we wanted. The staff then disappeared to leave is to our speeches before having the dessert.

The main restaurant seemed very busy, I hope our large group did not over shower their enjoyment. Our paths only crossed in the lounge bar. But as this is small and cosy a large group can over power it.

I would recommend Sweeney Hall and look forward to our group meal there again next year.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
seprawn, Owner at Sweeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for your very kind words.I am delighted everyone enjoyed themselves.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful but unfortunately the service in the restaurant is shoddy. I ordered a sandwich which wasn't as described so I politely returned it asking for it to be corrected - the response wasn't particularly pleasant and I felt uncomfortable. There was no sign of any waiting staff for long periods and when I wanted to order a drink with my meal I resorted to going to the bar.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
seprawn, Owner at Sweeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
I am very sorry we messed up with your sandwich. We hope to see you again soon and we will get it right this time.
Oswestry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I used to eat at Sweeney Hall quite regularly. I have absolutely no problem recommending the food here as it is always excellent with a wide range of options. The Hotel is very stylish and in a fantastic setting. So, why the 'Average' rating. Well, I'm afraid to say that the service here lets this restaurant down big style. Everything is superb when the owner is front of house, but in his absence, its a very different story. I cannot say that the service is terrible. It is, however indifferent. Its very difficult to actually say what's wrong. They are not rude or unhelpful, just, well, lacking any sense of how to treat customers, how to behave in front of the general public, any sense of urgency. I know that in this sort of business, a lot of what you see is 'showmanship' and the charm is a very thin veneer, but its what's important to make the customer feel as though they are the most important person in the restaurant at that very moment. The owner of The Sweeney is absolutely brilliant at it. The rest of his staff are not and this is a great shame, as this establishment could easily rank as one of very best in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
seprawn, Owner at Sweeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for the great feed back.It is always good to hear the positive and also what we let ourselves down with.I am very passionate about service and will endeavour to pass more of this on to my team.
Tenterden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Just used The Sweeney House Hotel for our wedding venue. Perfect. Good accommodation, excellent food, very helpful staff all provided by the attentive and efficient Sean.
We cannot speak too highly of the hotel and restaurant.

Room Tip: Room 1 is excellent. Cottage ideal for families.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fussy215
seprawn, Owner at Sweeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
I am delighted you enjoyed your wedding with us.Even after 20 years of hosting wedding receptions it still gives me a great buzz to be a part of someone's very special day.We hope to see you both soon. Ps the photos look great
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oswestry
Pen-y-Dyffryn Country Hotel
Lion Quays
Lion Quays
#1 of 1 in Weston Rhyn
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,184 reviews

Been to Sweeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!