“Sweeney Hall.Brilliant Place AAA*”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sweeney Hall Hotel

Sweeney Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Oswestry
North Wales
“Sweeney Hall.Brilliant Place AAA*”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Firstly I have nothing at all bad to say about Sweeney Hall everything was first class. Stayed the night at Sweeney Hall in the Luxury King Ensuite (Room 5), the room was Lovely spacious spotlessly clean. The bed was so comfortable I would describe it as luxury so the description easily lived up to itself. Upon arrival we were greeted by staff who were smiling, helpful and pleasant. After check in and depositing our bags in the room we went to the bar area again very nice, comfortable, we were hungry and although it was past serving time for food the young man behind the bar went away and returned with 2 of the best sandwiches we have had, we had a walk around the grounds and then we spent the afternoon sat on the patio area in the sunshine sipping on our drinks more relaxing it couldn't have been. We booked in to the restaurant for our evening meal, the food was top notch and I cant see any way of improving what we had it was first class, the staff were lovely and unlike some places there was no rush to finish, the atmosphere was so relaxing which was the whole idea of our stay.Slept well, I defy anyone not to in the bed we had, up for breakfast again staff smiling and chatty, full English, proper coffee, no instant here, fruit juice, fruit if you wanted it and cereals, again all spot on. Sweeney Hall was clearly once a grand country house, well I can tell you it is now a splendid highly recommended country hotel. Would I stay there again I would say so most definitely. If you want a relaxing night away then this without doubt is the place to go. To the staff and owners of Sweeney Hall well done and thank you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Scara100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed a few months back and couldnt have been more delighted. Food was excellent and superb value, the hotel, rooms and gardens are beautiful and the staff make your staff so much more pleasant and rememberable. Nothing was too much trouble for the young egyptian man, who greeted us with a warm welcome and honestly couldn't have done more for us. Have highly recommended my stay to friends and family, and will undoubtedly return. Excellent hotel and staff!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Clare J
Amersham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We booked this in the morning of our stay as the place we were staying was not up to scratch.
I was a little nervous as I normally do some research but due to time couldn't. I needn't of worried it was lovely, good sized clean room and bathroom.
The staff were all lovely.
We had a drink on the patio and then had a very good Beef Wellington that was cooked to perfection. Breakfast was also very good.
I would definately recommend for an overnight stay. The only down side is that it is on quite a busy road but up a drive, however, I had my window open and it wasn't too bad.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank P H
Weymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I'll be honest, I don't actually know how it feels to be a Princess. I was recently best man for my friend who had his reception at Sweeney Hall. The bride's parents live close by and have eaten there several times. I appreciate that weddings bring in a decent profit, so the service was always going to be good, but the staff were friendly, and very attentive throughout the whole day and didn't hesitate to assist with any requests. The food was very good and there was plenty of it, The bar wasn't as expensive as expected, so that was a bonus as well. A very nice, subtle building in a picturesque setting. The real highlight however was the room. A very generous gift for doing my duty of best man! We were lucky to have the luxury King en suite which was just fantastic. The room and adjoining bathroom were spotless. The huge windows allowed for a superb view across the lush greenery, and the bed was probably the most comfortable I have ever slept in. We missed breakfast in the morning because we didn't want to leave. All in all, a very enjoyable stay. Incidentally, we spent time in the cottage in the morning whilst getting ready- that looked pretty nice as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank hawaiinomad
Montgomery, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We went to the restaurant at the Sweeney Hall 16th July 2012 as family party of 6.
The reception from the staff and service all round was excellent.
The establishment is close to Oswestry and set in lovely country grounds.
I chose from the early evening special menu at £12.25p for 2 courses.
I have a lovely bowl of Potato leek and Stilton soup for starters, followed by a Lamb Shank with all the trimmings, nice little side dish of veg, all nice & hot and in good time.The lamb fell off the bone and overall the meal was just right, bang tidy.
The waiters were very polite and provide an excellent and friendly service.
The other 5 members of my party were similarly pleased.
So go here for a great meal at a fair price with great service. Recommended, you will enjoy!

Room Tip: Would be happy to stay here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Andy M
Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

I booked Sweeney Hall as a one night get away for me and my husband, When we arrived it was a very busy afternoon as it was Fathers Day, but immediatly someone came to the reception desk greeted us and helped us sign in, When we got to our room I thought we had been given the wrong room, it was out of this world, stunning room with views over the surrounding countryside. In the end we checked with reception just in case we had indeed been given the wrong room, but were informed because it was a quiet time, they had upgraded us at no extra cost . We decided to dine from the hotels set Sunday menu as it was a bargain at £12:50 for 2 courses, we had our drinks in the bar, our order was taken and then we were shown through to the restaurant. We ended up having 3 courses each, the food was beautiful and the staff were extremely attentive, after feeling quite full from dinner we slept extremely well, it was so peaceful and the bed was comfy. When we come down for breakfast it looked like we were the only guests staying that night, we were shown through to the conservatory were the continental breakfast had been set out for 2 .The table had been laid with jams and marmalades we had coffee and toast brought out for us, also we were asked if we wanted anything cooked fresh so we both had a full english breakfast it was a lovely personal service. Upon checkout we thanked the staff for everything, nothing was to much trouble they were so friendly and helpful, it was one of the best hotel stays and would recommened Sweeney Hall as it is a perfect place to stay and dine with lot's of attractions on your doorstep.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WelshMoomin
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

We stayed at Sweeney Hall as wedding guests, at first I thought we'd been given the bridal suite by mistake, but no - our room was just gorgeous!!

The staff couldnt have been more attentive, and the whole experience was just perfect. Great atmosphere and so welcoming. The wedding food was beautiful too.

Havent got a bad word to say about Sweeney Hall. We hope we come back again one day!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Swaley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oswestry
Pen-y-Dyffryn Country Hotel
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
The Castle Hotel
The Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bishops Castle

Been to Sweeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!