“Mothers day”

Ranked #24 of 121 Restaurants in Oswestry
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Took Mum and family here for lunch today. Excellent pub. I had chicken liver pate to start, roast beef to follow and finished with sticky toffee pudding. Couldn't go wrong really. Reasonable value too, at £16ph. Recommended, and I would return, given a chance.

1  Thank Julian R

Reviewed March 8, 2014

11 customers enjoyed a variety of meals and no complaints from any of us,including 3 children. the service was prompt and friendly ,food was excellent and the night was a complete success.What more could anybody want.I certainly don,t agree with the previous review . We will be back for certain!!!!!. JE

2  Thank jae628
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Having visited the White Lion on numerous occasions over the last 12 months, we felt the standard had gone down. We went for my son's birthday who is a 20 year old, 6 foot plus lad and straight away he was asked for ID even though he looked far older than the barmaid herself - not a good start. The meal itself was just an average bar meal, nothing special. The last time we went to the White Lion was for Sunday lunch, again not good staff, I was waiting to pay by the bar, and the lad who served us rushed in and said in a loud voice behind the bar the people on table 7 have left without paying - how embarrassing this was. I don't think we will return or staff need lessons on been polite.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We went at lunchtime - varied Light Bite menu with different sandwiches, salads, etc., I had a Goat's Cheese and Cherry Tomato Omelette with salad and chunky chips which was very tasty and only £6.95. My husband had Braised Steak, mash and vegetables for £9.95 which was also lovely. The evening menu was more expensive but looked good. Only criticism is that the staff weren't too friendly. Lovely restaurant though.

1  Thank JME138
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We visited The White Lion for a romantic meal. I'd read the reviews so thought we'd give it a try. As we were visiting on a Friday evening, I booked a table after reading previous reviews about how busy it got. On the phone, the lady was pleasant & helpful. Upon arrival, it was quiet with around 4 other couples dining in the conservatory area & it didn't get any busier for the duration of our visit. You pick up a menu at the bar & are given directions to the table.

The menu is varied & there is also a specials board. Orders were taken quite quickly and we had starters of garlic mushrooms (delicious & very garlicky) and garlic, cheese & bacon ciabatta (large but needs more garlic & maybe a more flavourful cheese). My partner made a comment about his starter (the bread) being too big but upon arrival of his main, was glad the starter portion was large as the main was small! He ordered the Greek lamb shoulder from the specials board. I do think the lamb must have been a micro-lamb as the portion was tiny! It came with a lovely creamy mash & a gravy sauce which was tasty. I ordered the pan fried steak strips with in a mushroom, cream, wholegrain mustard & brandy sauce. It was delicious & I was pleased with the dish. The menu stated it came with chips but I changed this to rice. The rice was spiced with coconut & I imagine it will go beautifully with the curry option. We were far too full for puddings but there was a good choice & other peoples' puddings looked very tasty.

Staff were very friendly & helpful. Toilets were clean but uncomfortably warm as the heating was on.

The price was around £40 for 2 starters, 2 mains & 2 soft drinks each so not a bad price. I have certainly paid more for worse quality meals than this.

All in all, a lovely meal in pleasant surroundings. I'm sure we'll be back for another visit.

1  Thank kaytla