“relaxing break”

and 1 more site!
Pen-y-Dyffryn Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Oswestry
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My partner and i stayed in the champagne room for our anniversary.The hotel is in a beautiful area with wonderful views and a peaceful relaxing atmosphere .The champagne room has a double spa bath that we spent a lot of time unwinding in after exploreing the countryside.The view of the gardens from our room was lovely and the room itself is tastefully decorated and comfortable.The food was brilliant with a nice varied menu and they have a good selection of wines available.All the staff were friendly and helpful and helped make the weekend relaxing and memorable and there are maps and suggestions of places to visit in reception (we borrowed the hotels instructions and visited the nearby pistyll rhaeadr waterfall) i will definitly be going back again !

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed for three nights to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary and were very impressed with everything about the hotel and it's staff - nothing was too much trouble.
I am unable to eat garlic which usually means a severely restricted choice of dishes on the menu - not here - there was only one minor thing I couldn't eat (and the chef would have made me an alternative)
We will definitely be going back - thank you so much

Room Tip: We stayed in the Champagne room which had a lovely view over the garden an a jacuzzi bath
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was our second visit to Pen-y Dyffryn and just as before we had a wonderful time. The setting is fantastic, remote, but not too remote, Shrewsbury and Chester are both within easy reach. Superb food, fabulous room, friendly and highly efficient service. We can't wait to return.

1  Thank PaulCSalisbury
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel has everything for a peaceful and relaxing break.Friendly owners,excellent staff,
superb food and a great location.Our recent stay with friends was most enjoyable and we
will have no hesitation in returning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We booked this hotel at the last minute after reading the reviews here. My husband booked on Thursday evening for the Friday night, but forgot to ask if they were able to cater for my vegan diet. I emailed on the Friday morning and got a prompt reply to say that the chef would be in at 12:30 and they would check with him. By 1:30pm I had a response to say that they could cater for me but due to the short notice it would not be possible to offer much choice. I was thrilled that they were able to accommodate my dietary requirements, especially at such short notice. On arrival we had a lovely welcome and were shown to our comfortable room. On going down to dinner, not only did I have specially prepared vegan canapes while having a pre-dinner drink, I was served a delicious watermelon soup as an appetiser, an excellent walnut and mushroom warm sald as a starter and a very tasty roast stuffed peppers for my main course. The food was all delicious and my husbands choice from the main dinner menu was excellent too. After a very good nights sleep we went down for breakfast where I was able to choose fresh fruit, porridge, toast with home made jam and marmalade and I even managed some cooked breakfast. Vegetarian bacon and sausages were on the menu, but after such a big breakfast I could only manage the mushrooms, tomatoes and potatoes, all well cooked. The standard of service was excellent throughout our stay and my many - I am sure they would be considered odd - requests were all met with a helpful and usually successful outcome. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for the standard of service, comfort and of course the excellent food and wine. Our room was one of the smaller ones in the hotel but had everything we could need for our one night and the ensuite bathroom was beautifully appointed with an excellent shower. Despite the fact there was a large party staying, our room was very quiet and we were not disturbed at all. My praise and recommendations to the staff and the chef, I cannot praise them highly enough.

Room Tip: We were in the "Cottage" room which is one of the smaller rooms. Very comfortable but may...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Could not fault the staff or the welcome. Food was excellent. I notice that other reviewers have complained that the rooms were perhaps too small or claustrophobic but, whilst that may be the case, one must not forget that it was not built as a hotel in the 1860s' and a quirkyness in design adds to the ambience. Spending 4 months a year living in hotels overseas in uniformly boring chain hotels as I do makes one appreciate the differences of staying in a family run hotel. Although our rooms were spotless I do have an objection to dogs being allowed into bedrooms (as they are). It is not hygienic. Dogs should be in outdoor kennels or kept in the car. Would we go back? Yes, in a blink.

Room Tip: Rose room is very pleasant. TV reception and choice of channels poor but we were not there to watch...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed here a while ago and was so impressed with the hotel, staff and general ambiance have recommended to numerous people since. If eating in the restaurant and the venison is in season then I would definitely recommend as is the best I have had.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oswestry
4 mi away
#1 of 1 in Halfway House
Travelodge Oswestry
Travelodge Oswestry
#6 of 6 in Oswestry

Been to Pen-y-Dyffryn Country Hotel? Share your experiences!