“Fabulous food once again”
Review of The Royal Oak Inn - CLOSED

The Royal Oak Inn
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Traditional Pub on the outskirts of Oswestry serving traditional home cooked meals with a warm cosy dining room and a warm freindly bar area wth log burner. Bar area also consists of a pool table and darts board with live sport.
Reviewed June 7, 2014

My husband and myself are regulars at this lovely little pub, we usually go on a Friday night and we are never disapointed. The choice of food on the menu is quite extensive and always very fresh. My husband had the Guinness and Steak pie with vegetables, chips and extra gravy - I had the Lemon chicken which is delicious with fresh vegetables and a lovely sauce. This is just the sort of place on the outskirts of Oswestry that we need, there is no where in town to beat it on good home cooked food at a reasonable price

Every one needs to visit to taste the delicious food

1  Thank JWhitt2014

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We visited for Sunday lunch but hadn't booked a table. They were expecting a large party in but the barmaid found us a table. The lunch menu was limited but we only wanted the roast dinner which was fine. We chose beef and it was lovely, which came with enough veg for me as I have a smaller appetite. Someone with a bigger appetite might like more veg, as no boiled potatoes were provided. The pub had a nice, cosy atmosphere with open fire. A large party of dog walkers arrived as we were leaving, some had big dogs with them, and mayhem erupted! I would not like to be sat eating my dinner with dogs walking or running around my table - a bit unhygienic. Also at £9 I thought for just a main course it was a bit overpriced. Maybe £7 or £8 would be OK. Don't know if we'd go back.

3  Thank Smurfy1971
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Staying at my sister's place in nearby Nantmawr, we visited the Royal Oak for a Sunday dinner on 12th January 2014. I'm not a big fan of 'traditional' meat and two veg, much preferring continental or exotic cuisine. I also don't like massive portions. There was a limited Sunday dinner menu but this sufficed for our party of 4. I had the beef dinner and it was an absolute delight. The beef was both tasty and tender, the mixed veg was perfectly al dente, the accompanying cauliflower cheese was great. The portion sizes were perfect for me, I ate the lot without feeling too stuffed afterwards. The service was excellent. The inn is tastefully decorated and is welcoming and cosy. There was enough choice at the bar to satisfy the wine drinkers and the real ale drinkers. All in all a very enjoyable Sunday dinner and I would not hesitate to recommend the Royal Oak Inn should you be in the Oswestry area.

1  Thank KylieMinge
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Having been to the royal oak only last week,we have found the found the specials board very special.Me and my wife entered the place to a very warm welcome from someone we know know as maureen the landlady and we were made to feel very relaxed and comfortable.After choosing our drinks we looked at the menu and specials board and the sea bass caught my attention as did the viking gammon my wifes attention.After talking to the landlady ie her explaning the details of the specials she went to the kitchen and reappeared with the chef.What a nice guy he was explaning the ingriedients to me and my wife of the meals we were about to order.When our meals came to the table in double quick time the presentation and the heat were apparent.I really cant say enough about the sea bass and 5 bean ragu which accompanied my meal I was completley blown away excellent 5 star.We have eaten around oswestry for years and I proud to say this was my best meal to date.We will be back with friends.Thank you landlady and chef.

1  Thank anon1826
Reviewed September 15, 2013

firstly the picture of the pub is wrong
We are locals and eat here once or sometimes twice a week, Very friendly hosts, great setting and fabulous meals. The pub has recent;y been redecorated and upgraded and the quailty of the food is fabulous Highly recommended