“Enormous portions of quality food”
Review of The Queens Head

The Queens Head
Ranked #2 of 119 Restaurants in Oswestry
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We ate here on a Saturday evening at very short notice having been unable to get another table at the nearest restaurant to where we were staying before 9.30pm. A quick conversation with the receptionist and she had not only recommended the Queens Head but had booked us a table for half an hour's time at 8.15pm. As we had a five year old with us we were very pleasantly surprised to get a booking at such a time and we were a large party of 10.
The staff were very friendly and brought pencils and a children's menu which doubled as an activity sheet for my son and quickly fetched drinks while we browsed the offerings. Our order was also quickly taken and starters came out vey fast, within probably 10 minutes.
The main meals followed around 15 minutes later and the food was amazing, I've never seen such big portions. I had chosen the authentic Spanish Paella, which was freshly made to order, and it was an amazing meal. Served in a proper paella dish it was cooked to perfection.
Everyone else in the party also pronounced themselves happy with their meals and the prices were reasonable, my paella coming in at £13.95.

There are newer reviews for The Queens Head

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We went to the Queen's Head for a family meal this week, and found it busy but welcoming. I can't remember a single time before where I've been out for a meal as a foursome and every member of the group has been 100% delighted with their food... This deserves great credit! I had poached salmon in prawn sauce (from the specials board) while my girlfriend had enchiladas... Our plates were all spotless by the end. And the chocolate muffin sundae for dessert was to die for.
Nothing to add really - took a while for the food to come, but when it did it hit all the marks. :)

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We have been here a few times and always found the food to be pretty good, but last night it was quite different. We had the 'famous brisket of beef' (famous for what I don't know) and a duck dish. They were both as tasteless as each and the side dish of veggies served - very disappointing! It was all so bland. We complained and the owner was apologetic, but that was the last we saw or heard of her. No one ever approached our table again therefore we had to assume a dessert wasn't on offer, and that actually looked pretty good. We decided to cut our losses and call it a day. To be fair the owner had knocked the price if one if the main courses if the bill, which was good, however it might have been nice if she had returned to our table and told us. Still put it down to experience and try somewhere else next time!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stopped off here, as I do every trip to North Wales. They are always open, and I have always found somewhere to sit usually near the bar; so timing is not critical and serving good food and nice real ales. Pretty quick service for home-cooked food. The salad is imaginative and not standard British limp. Friendly regular staff.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Its a busy place being adjacent to A5 . Large menu but only popped in for a quick bite had a club sandwich, all bread and not a great filling , would look elsewhere in future