“Nice atmosphere. Comfy seats”
Review of Tontine inn - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tontine inn
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Local country pub for walkers and visitors
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We had an evening meal here whilst meeting a friend who was kayaking round Wales. (Yes you can do it via canals, the Vyrnwy, down the Severn etc)

Like one of the other reviews, when you enter the car park it does not look very impressive. We entered the pub via the bar entrance and it was immediately obvious this was a nice place. Well decorated.

We walked through to the lounge and what a surprise. Comfy sofas and a dining room in the conservatory. We ate of the main menu and the Welsh Black Rib Eye was superb. Good chips, veg and friendly service.

Unfortunately I was driving so can't comment on the beer :( but I would recommend the Tontine. An easy walk down to the river past a very delightful church.

There are newer reviews for Tontine inn

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Been popping in for a meal now and again. But last time WOW...
I had black pudding starter and meat fa*gots main course plus a drink all for about 14 quid. My southerner friends entered the car park a bit sketchey because they felt it didn't look amazing BUT they were really impressed from the comfy chairs to play "connect 4" or chess on to the hearty food. Well worth a regular visit.

1  Thank Stuart E
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Called into The Tontine this evening as we just fancied some Pub Grub. I often ride past on my bike and I never realised the place has been completely refurbished from top to bottom. Well what a lovely welcome we received from both the landlady & landlord and the regulars in the lounge. We stopped for a meal and whilst we only had basket meal we couldn't have enjoyed it more and i am sure the restaurant is just as high a standard.
Forget your pub chains and support your local. It's beautiful & clean and service was excellent & prompt. Felt well looked after and my kids cleared their plates. Meal for four & drinks for under £40, we will be back......

2  Thank Winckers
Reviewed May 17, 2012

we really like this pub, we live locally and it is our favourite pub for by a long chalk. comfy leather sofas, friendly staff and lovely, lovely German beer on tap (can't remember the name). excellent ambience and a bit more up market than the other pubs in the area. I'm told the food is good but we haven't gotten around to eating there yet.

Reviewed August 31, 2011

We have just returned from a 4 day camping trip at Church House site at Melverley, Shropshire. The site was excellent but an added bonus was that 100 yards away was the Tontine Inn. We went there every evening and found very friendly service, excellent food at very good prices. Wonderful - we will return!

2  Thank AnnekaVirginiaWater