“Cater well for families”
Review of Oswald's Cross

Oswald's Cross
Ranked #39 of 120 Restaurants in Oswestry
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A Restaurant that provides food and drink for all occasions,We also cater for Buffets for Birthdays,Christenings Weddings and Funerals. we are also open for breakfast from 6.30am-10.30am Monday to Friday and 7am-11am on Saturday and Sunday. 2 Kids under 15 eat free at Breakfast with every full paying adult.
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
“Cater well for families”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I've been to Oswalds Cross on many occasions when visiting relatives in Oswestry. The meals have always been good, and there is a varied children's menu. We have often ate at a time when a child eats free for each paying adult, so it doesn't cost the earth. I like the layout and decor; you don't feel you're on top of anyone else. If you wanted fabulous food or a romantic meal for two, then this probably wouldn't fit the bill, but for a decent meal out with family this is a good choice.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Debbiedoodle1

• Polish first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“9 of us had Awful breakfast!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This Restaurant provides the Premier inn breakfast which is next door. 9 of us went to breakfast New Years Day after staying at the premier Inn. We ordered our breakfast which took approx 40 mins to arrive.We had to ask if the coffee flasks could be refilled because they were all empty !This is not the usual premier inn costas coffee but flasks! This took forever .My sister asked for veggie sausage but on her plate came a pork sausage beside the veggie one! My nephew only wanted beans on toast -the toast was cremated and a spoonful of beans.We sent it back and in return he got cold beans!He was charged £8.50 for this! Our poached eggs were more like hard bolied,fatty bacon and some of the sausage not cooked. To top it all the cleaner started hoovering by us! I always look foreward to my premier inn breakfast and frequently stay with them in Birmingham but this was dreadful.However the premier Inn next door is great.

• Visited January 2013
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“give it a miss for breakfast”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

service, time to get served, the food, the way they got things wrong, complete rubbish. burnt food, over cooked food, putting meat on the veggie plate, a useless toaster, running out of coffee and not value for money. Will not go there again

Visited January 2013
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Avoid this place for breakfast”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We attended a wedding in Oswestry on New Years eve and stayed at the new Premier Inn. The hotel was excellent I have to say and the receptionist was really nice, however, on New Years day we decided to go next door to the Oswalds Cross pub (attached to the PI) for breakfast. The first thing we noticed was the acrid smell of burnt toast whilst we stood for ages waiting for a member of staff to seat the 9 of us.We arrived at around 10:05. Eventually we were shown a table where the sunshine (i'm not complaining about the sun after all the rain) was that intense we couldnt actually look at each other as it was blinding. In the end after mentioning it to staff I had to stand on a chair to untie the blind. We requested 8 full breakfast (@ £8.25 each!!) and one beans on toast (still @£8.25!!!) were shown the buffet area where the coffee, juice etc. was located. I attempted to make some toast but having put the bread in for its first pass it was still completely untouched, putting it through a second time was not a good idea as it came out black and inedible. I therefore had to get my hand inside the rather hot toaster to try and push it half way to get something similar to toast. That done I went to get coffee which was stored in thermos flasks, or should have been as they were all empty. Eventually the coffee was restocked (it advertises is as Costa coffee (no way)).
We then waited for over 45 minutes for the breakfasts to arrive. When they did it was a complete shambles. The toast for the one beans on toast was burnt to a frazzle so it went back. When it came back it was obvious that theyd redone the toast but had simply tipped the previous beans on top as they were stone cold. They had run out of hash browns so it turned out there was only 2 available between the 9 of us. My breakfast was ordered with tomatoes, they forgot and when I asked I was brought some in a coffee cup!!. My sister in law had ordered a vegetarian breakfast, unfortunately they also put a pork sausage on the plate amongst the two "veggie sausages"...It went back. Several ordered poached egg, they were like bullets and awful. The bacon was under cooked and most of the food was cold. To cap it off whilst we were eating our food the cleaner arrived and started hoovering right next to us so it was impossible to talk until we made a point of it. I dont think the cleaning lady was very happy. My recommendation is that if you stay at the Oswestry Premier Inn then go into town and for £2.95 you can get a Wetherspoons breakfast, they may not be fantastic but for that price you dont feel as if you've been "mugged". It was a shame for us all as we'd had a great stay for the wedding and we feel that Whitbread should do much much better, okay we only spent £74.25 (for breakfast) but it was possibly the worst one I personally have ever had. Very disappointed.

• Visited January 2013
“Terrible”
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

I try not to write negative reviews to often. However I feel it only right to pre worn on this occasion. Food was not up to the usual
table table standard but was edible. The biggest let down was the service. Trying to get the attention of a waitress was almost impossible (even though you could clearly hear them gossiping in the hall between the restaurant and kitchen) when i evently did it took me back to my transport cafe day's. I respectfully asked the waitress not to call me "love" she looked at me with disgust. I asked for some ketchup a couple of sachets
were slide across the table, fine for breakfast but never had this at table table before. After again waiting to get someones attention I was informed I would have to que at the bar to pay as the hand held terminals are not working. I have 6 staff staying in the hotel on a 2 month contract, they've told me that the terminals have never worked. And the service had become a standing joke. I've now taken my staff off the meal deal so thay can go and eat up the road. very very disappointed.