All reviews taster menu amuse bouche scallops parfait main restaurant good size bar area an overnight stay special occasion large party course meal took advantage staff were attentive fine dining excellent food our room was spacious cooked to perfection
Selected filters
Reviewed May 23, 2016

From reception to the dining room the service was excellent. We had a light lunch on day one and dinner on two nights. The food is 5 star, very well presented and excellent to the taste.The wine is reasonably priced and varied. The room (number 4 ) was very large and well presented, the only fault was the bed was far too soft for my liking. If in the area we will definitely stay again.

Room tip: Rooms in the hotel you need to use the stairs. Rooms in the Forge ,a walk about 50 yards across the carpark.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank goodfoodcriticbarnon
Reviewed May 17, 2016 via mobile

Stayed at The Raven for one night, the room was lovely, spotless and the bed was so comfortable! We had an excellent 3 course dinner and the homemade bread was delicious. The staff were attentive and gave great recommendations about the menu. Finished off our stay with a great breakfast The deli shop next door is excellent too. All in all a very enjoyable visit to Much Wenloch I will certainly re-visit!!

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2016 via mobile

Had a truly wonderful lunch here with my friend. We have eaten here several times now and it really gets better each time we visit. The food is always perfectly cooked and artistically presented. It is a pleasure visiting here and I'd visit more often if I lived nearer. Keep on performing such fabulous gastronomic miracles!

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2016

I found myself staying here on a group hill-walking trip to the area. My room was a good size with a very comfortable bed and a perfectly-located power point next to the bed for charging my phone. The bathroom was a bit spartan, and there seemed to be a limited amount of hot water as I had to suffer at least one tepid shower. Everything very clean, but a bit tired and dated - the in-room phone was a classic museum-piece and totally not needed.

The breakfast was OK if a bit limited in scope - no buffet, individually ordered cooked breakfast options. Maybe the eggs were cooked to order, but everything else looked and tasted like it had been plucked from large trays of stuff cooked hours before-hand. We had the 'tasting menu' one evening which was pretty good for the price, a couple of the courses and wines were misses but mainly hits, all efficiently served.

The whole place feels rather old-fashioned, from the decor to the formal style of service, but then it doesn't advertise itself as anything else. There seemed to be plenty of repeat visitors there, it was pretty full for the weekend, and overall quite good value for money. Not somewhere for a romantic weekend away, but a decent, solid place to stay.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 8, 2016

We booked this hotel as it had a wealth of good reviews even though the rooms looked a little dated, from the images they appeared clean and well kept.

Arriving we were shown across the courtyard to The Forge, the owner quipped this was the newest part of the hotel, then added 'well...fifteen years ago'.

The room was a decent size and so was the bathroom, but that was about all it had going for it.
The view overlooked a car park and the room needed a ton of TLC. Paint was flaking off below the window, the edges of walls were chipped and marked, cobwebs in the corner of the room made it look like Miss Havishams - along with the dust on the bedside lamps, their bulbs and the very fluffy bathroom fan. Tiles around the toilet were loose and coming away, the flooring edges were grubby and rust had started to run down from the wall mounted bath aid handle.
The bedding was soft but looked as though it was about 3 years past its best, ripped, caught and even torn in places. (Attached pictures of all of the above).

We purchased through a deal website which included a bottle of Prosecco, on the second night we had to request this as it hadn't turned up, or been offered.

Being thoroughly disappointed with the room we hoped the breakfast would be decent. Alas it was not.
The full english breakfast comes without hash browns and baked beans, luckily i asked for those as 'extras' as when it arrived you get one hash brown, one sausage, and tiny helpings of everything else. The scrambled egg was really watery and the toast was more like a large crouton.
One of the pots of jam on the table was empty with the lid put back on and my partners poached egg on toast was more like a boiled egg on bread.
The next morning we opted for the freshly baked croissants which were a far better option.

Location is one of the only good things The Raven has going for it, it's right in the heart of Much Wenlock and a walkable distance to the abbey.

I cannot for the life of me work out how this place has such good reviews. The breakfast was terrible, the rooms dated, dirty and unkept yet it receives 4.5 stars on here?!

Luckily we didn't pay full price as it was part of a third party offer which softened the blow, but it put a dampener on a nice weekend away in the country.

If it wasn't for the convoluted complaints procedure on the third party site I would have asked for a refund.

Room tip: Go elsewhere
Date of stay: April 2016