“Perfect location for a relaxing weekend!”

The Gaskell Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Much Wenlock
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I went to Much Wenlock to enjoy Festval at the Edge, a brilliant storytelling festival which takes place in July every year. The Gaskell Arms is perfectly placed if you're going, and you don't want to camp - it's at the bottom of the road which leads up to the festival site. I had the Rindleford Suite, a self-contained en-suite room with its own front door and a little hall (useful for muddy boots!). The room was clean and tidy, with plentiful tea and coffee, and a fantastic shower (welcome after a hard day!). Although the hotel is on one of Much Wenlocks plentiful very busy roads (this is a pretty little town with a LOT of traffic!), once the door was closed, there was no traffic noise at all. One slight downside was that the main hotel has free wireless internet, but my room didn't seem to - not that that was a problem for me!

Breakfast was excellent - choice of juices ,cereals, unlimited coffee, and a quality full English breakfast, with very friendly staff - It set me up for the day.

All the staff I met were very pleasant, and friendly, and I left with a determination to come back!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed April 1, 2010

We booked the hotel as a last minute deal on the internet. We were very happy with the price but when we arrived we were told that the price was incorrect and that the internet booking company had got it wrong. Eventually the lady on the front of desk agreed to accept our booking.

The location is ideal and their is a bonus of parking. The room including the bathroom was a good size. The tea and coffee facilities in the room were excellent. We had a meal at the hotel in evening which was also good and served by a friendly young man. My partner said that the hotel keeps a good pint! The breakfast was probably one of the best we have had in this type of accomadation for a long while (bar the sausages, which seem to be the norm in B&Bs and hotels).

After the poor start to weekend break, we were feeling better about the hotel, but unfortunately when my partner went to settle the bill the price had been altered to £40 more. We paid the price that we had booked at. I would like to stay again and be able to recommend to friend but have been off by our initial welcome.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We recently based our annual family get-together at the Gaskell Arms. Despite several amendments on our part to room allocations (some at the very last minute!), Maxine dealt with the changes and did as much as she could to make sure everyone was satisfied. Our party took over most of the hotel and from the feedback I received, the overall opinion of the rooms was that they were spacious and comfortable - 'lovely' was the wordused most often to describe them. The food on both the Friday and Saturday nights was excellent - and plentiful! Many thanks to the kitchen, restaurant and bar staff who provided such excellent service. These annual gatherings bring together family from the UK, USA and, this year we had family from Canada attending. Each year we have a wonderful time together and this event was no different, thanks to Maxine's hospitality. Thank you Gaskell Arms.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Ronnie027
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Family visit to the area for a a trip down "memory lane". Age range from 27 to 87. Everyone enjoyed the stay here. Warm welcome, clean crisp white linen and pretty bright rooms. Food very good and service excellent. Would all stay again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Tattiehead
Reviewed August 18, 2009

I am disgusted with the service ... or should I say, lack of service from the Gaskell Arms (GA). My husband and I were attending a wedding in Much Wenlock in June and, when driving past in January, we decided to book a room. We popped into the GA and happily booked a room for the night in June. I stated that we were attending a wedding and as we knew there would be a lot of people there too, we wanted to make sure that we secured a room. The booking was entered into the diary and I asked whether they would take a deposit to ensure the room was booked. I paid £20 cash.

One week before the wedding, my husband received a phone call from the GA to inform us that there had been a double booking and we could no longer have our room. He was told that it was necessary to move us out as they now had a block booking. He was informed that they had booked a room for us at another hotel.

I was not happy, particularly as a) I had booked so far in advance and b) given a deposit, to ensure that we secured the room. On phoning the GA, I was told that there was nothing they could do about it due to having the double booking. I stated how unhappy I was and that it wasn't a case of not being able to do anything ... it was that they didn't want to. I asked why they couldn't contact the people who had obviously booked later than me (seeing as I'd booked 6 months in advance) and tell them they would need to go to the other hotel for one night, but I kept being told that they couldn't. They had obviously had a better offer due to it being a block booking and, therefore, decided to turf us out.

I, therefore, can't rate this hotel in terms of what it would be like to stay there because I never had the chance to do so.

I recommend that you keep well clear of this place because even if you book in advance, and give a deposit, it doesn't mean that you'll get a room!!!

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Groanie
GaskellMews, Owner at The Gaskell Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2009

I find this abhorent and vicious attack on this hotel totally unacceptable. Mistakes happen very rarely and on this occasion arrangements for alternative accommodation, for the guests involved, were made at a 3 star standard hotel just 2 minutes away in the same town.

Reviewed November 1, 2008

I don't think much has changed since the other reviews. We didn't stay here but stopped for drinks and thank goodness we weren't staying. Arrived about 9.15. No welcome whatsoever. Stayed long enough for coffee and cognac in an empty bar and when we left at 9.40 the door had to be unbolted to let us out. We were staying at the Fox (excellent rooms) but as the restaurant was closed (the owners were away) the next night we went for a meal at the Raven. What a difference - welcoming, friendly and good (but fairly expensive) food.

• Stayed: October 2008
GaskellMews, Owner at The Gaskell Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2009

The Gaskell Arms Hotel has been upgrade to AA 3 Star Rated 79% and VB 3 Star. We have made many changes for the better and would welcome any prospective guests to pay us visit.

Reviewed May 30, 2007

My family and I recently visited the Gaskell Arms for a wedding in Much Wenlock and the welome and hospitality was about as miserable as the weather. It didn't start well as a few months after booking, we phoned on the off chance to clarify details and were told they had no record at all of our booking! When we arrived, we were greeted by a lady who didn't really seem to know what she was doing and had alreday lost our credit card details! We then left to go to the wedding service, which was lovely and then returned to the hotel, only to be told that our room rate had gone up from when we booked! We had actually recieved e-mail confirmation of our room booking and rates and were now being told (3 hours after checking in!) that the room rates had gone up and we had to pay them because 'that's just the way it was'. The woman was rude, unhelpful and unapologetic. Not great personality traits for a landlady! On top of that the rooms were dated and grubby and the shower took 10 mins to warm up. There was one younger woman who was absolutely lovely but the 2 older ladies were disorganised, unfriendly and rude. We won't be going back.

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank DuckieLondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Much Wenlock
The Raven Hotel & Restaurant
The Raven Hotel & Restaurant
#1 of 2 in Much Wenlock
The Swan hotel smoke and taphouse
Best Western Valley Hotel
Best Western Valley Hotel
#1 of 3 in Ironbridge
Ramada Hotel Telford Ironbridge
Telford Hotel & Golf Resort
The Tontine Hotel
The Tontine Hotel
#3 of 3 in Ironbridge

Been to The Gaskell Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!