“Poor food - disgusting”
Review of The Acton Arms

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Morville
The Acton Arms
Ranked #3 of 3 Morville B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Poor food - disgusting”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

April 2013
Having visited the Acton Arms previously and had good meals, we now find that the present management do not match that of 2007-2010 approx.
A family gathering recently experienced very inferior food and a "could not care less" attitude re: customer satisfaction.
Chips that were served were coloured GREEN and when this was pointed out the waitress said that it was perfectly okay and that their own family ate green potatoes and chips. These were overcooked, greasy and only lukewarm. As we were the only customers at the time and early we suspect that they could have been reheated chips from the day before.
Potatoes which are obviously green contain SOLANINE, - this is a known glycoalkaloid toxin.
The recommendations are clear on this point - do not eat such potoatoes. While it will not cause any serious health damage in small quantities, always avoid unnecessary intake of any toxin which disagrees with the nervous system.
We found the dining room was bitterly cold with only a minimal attempt to heat it.
Clearly this is an establishent that we shall not revisit until we are certain that there has been dramatic change in all aspects of restaurant management and catering.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 462DavidP

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Bridgnorth
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The Acton Arms looked after over 60 guests, age range from 4 months to 80+, excellent service, delicious food (and plenty of it). Nothing was too much trouble, would highly recommend this venue for a large family party. Thank you to everyone at the Acton who made it such a success!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DredaBridgnorth
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Seeing a previous review i though i would offer my opinion as i was there on this night with my partner and also ordered the turkey dinner. This cosy restaurant that we have been at before always surprises us, with a new menu on and a huge variety of specials my partner ordered the rump steak and said that it was cooked to perfection and it came just as he specified my turkey dinner was beautiful, the turkey so succulent and the vegetable were cooked lovely, the red wine gravy topped it all off the roast potatoes were crisp yet fluffy inside it was clear to see that these meals had been cooked fresh and was well worth popping in for. i would defiantly recommend this restaurant and as a added bonus we went into the bar side and enjoyed the local ales and were welcomed by those that use the pub regularly as we heard some old stories about the local area. I though i would let you know my opinion as i feel the comment below is false . the food was beautiful and the service was excellent, our waitress was very attentive and made sure we were happy and if she could make it any better for us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ami B
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Visited The Acton Arms on our way home from Much Wenlock on a Wednesday night to find we were the only customers (a few others arrived later) We were greeted warmly & shown to a table. We thought that the menu overall seemed quite expensive but we stayed as it was a two for one menu. Our food arrived after a while with two of the meals a bit on the small side (Turkey & Pheasant) Our son had the Gammon which came with chips & seemed a larger portion. The Turkey dinner was just horrible! I had about one soggy potato in total cut up, three soggy little pieces of carrot & the other vegetables well.. we don't even know what they were!! just little cubes/slices of goo which tasted of vinegar, perhaps swede, parsnip or pumpkin we really didn't know!! The gravy was disgusting & tasted burnt, leaving an unpleasant after taste. I couldn't eat it so when asked if all was ok with our meals I reluctantly complained. I was offered another meal or a sweet. I chose to have a replacement meal..The waitress just stood not offering the menu whilst I tried to choose from the specials board. I eventually had to ask to look at the menu myself & finally chose the fish & chips..Thought I'd be safe with that! But no... these were just ok! the 'mushy' peas were terrible as was the tartar sauce which came with it. This meal also had a strange after taste so half of that was left as well. My husband had the pheasant was very dry, it came with a swede mash & a whole roasted onion or not totally roasted in this case! inedible! Even my 16 year old son moaned!! saying the pineapple served with his gammon tasted of vomit!? (He never moans) Overall a terrible experience. We couldn't wait to leave & won't be going back! Four different meals ordered in total & all bad!!! Something must be wrong in that kitchen!! Perhaps they need a trip from The restaurant inspector!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lovey50_11

Travelers are raving about these Morville hotels

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My father and I were heading for lunch anywhere in Bridgnorth but saw this place and popped in. It was 2:15 pm on a Wednesday and we were greeted with smiling faces from restaurant bar.
The menu is excellent with a few of the 'expected' pub restaurant items and a wonderful selection of other dishes that showed thought and creativity. There is something for everyone here and even the starters reflect this.
The service (from Di and Amy) was excellent and we were left alone when it was time to eat.
Other reviews comment upon the speed of service but, as the menu does politely warn you, all food is cooked to order. Our wait was certainly not excessive by any means and the food was excellent in terms of taste, portion size and presentation.
Outcome: took a copy of the menu for friends and my parents will be paying a lunch time visit one day next week.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrew W
Bridgnorth
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The food was excellent as was the service. Local ingredients, very well cooked. Had the shropshire beef burger - really tasty and on a lovely bread bun. The chips were freshly cooked, crispy and delish. Excellent value with two for one main courses so it worked out around £12.00 for two lovely lunches. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank WickedBridgnorth
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Had drove passed the Acton Arms a few times on our way to Bridgenorth and mentioned we must try the food as we heard excellent feedback from friends and family. We were very impressed with both the service and food. My husband and myself had the " Two for one offer " and we were very pleased with are choices, off the " spoilt for choice menu ". The pub was busy on are arrival which is good to see in the climate we are living in now. Well done Acton Arms keep up the good work its good to see a pub working well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morville
Wood Cottage
#4 of 29 in Bridgnorth
The Pheasant at Neenton
The Pheasant at Neenton
#6 of 29 in Bridgnorth

Been to The Acton Arms? Share your experiences!