“A gem in a place far away!”
Review of Waterdine

Waterdine
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Serves Alcohol
Description: Nestled in the Shropshire countryside is a half timbered building, the picture of relaxed country living. Luckily for us The Waterdine, just outside of Knighton, is a restaurant and B&B, open to world weary diners who want to experience good food without pretentious surroundings and obsequious service. Rustically charming and comfortably homely, The Waterdine restaurant feels welcoming and restful thanks to burgundy painted walls, knobbly old beams and feature wood burning stoves, not to mention staff who’ll make you feel like one o the family. With an experienced chef in the kitchen the menu, based on local and organic produce as far as is possible, is a modern take on traditional British dining.
“A gem in a place far away!”
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

Quality local produce and good value can be a hard thing to find these days. The Waterdine proves this as, even now after returning home, I am not quite sure how it is I got there, and where exactly it is!

However, upon finding the delightful building, it was lovely to see a stall next door selling jams, chutneys and plants from the restaurant by way of an honesty box.

Inside, I was welcomed by a cosy bar and sofas. The owners are husband and wife I think, husband the one and only chef in the kitchen. Wife front of house with an assistant. Service excellent throughout.

I had a wild garlic cheese cake as a starter which was remarkably balanced. Followed by saddle of local deer which mushrooms, artichoke and a type of swiss pasta. It worked really well and the meat was so tender. I envied my partners duck breast in redcurrant type sauce.

You must try this place for somewhere truly authentic and unique. Three courses for £32 is excellent for food of this quality and the drinks menu is vast and well priced.

All you have to do is find the place!

Mildenhall
“A real gem”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

The hospitality was 5 star - welcoming and relaxing us upon arrival and so it continued during our stay. The food was delicious and the house and surround was beautiful. It's the little personal touches that make it more special. We will be back as it was a great place to chill out and be pampered. David & John (Suffolk)

• Visited May 2012
Murcia
“Wish we could have stayed longer”
Reviewed March 11, 2012

After two nights in Ludlow my wife and I decided to 'chill out' in the tiny backwater of Llanfair Waterdine and booked an overnight stay at this lovely old inn, now describing itself as a 'restaurant with rooms'. Arriving late afternoon we were given a very friendly welcome, a lovely pot of tea and a plate of freshly home baked scones.
Dinner was superb. Lovely local produce beautifully cooked and presented were easily the equal of La Becasse and Fishmore Hall where we had eaten on the two previous evenings. My wife's main, rump of black welsh lamb, was the most beautiful piece of meat I have seen for years and I was rather hoping that she would be unable to finish the rather generous portion and that I would get the opportunity to taste this lovely looking dish. No such luck! Unusually, my wife cleaned the plate and declared the dish 'wonderful'.
Our room was 'cosy' with a small bathroom curtained off and a seperate WC. Given the difficulties in converting an ancient drover's inn into a modern B+B the accomodation was very comfortable and the owners have gone to considerable lengths to furnish the rooms in an appropriate and tasteful fashion.
Breakfast was just about anything you wanted. Everything local or home made and was excellent.
We cannot stress too highly the level of hospitality we experienced at The Waterdine. We left feeling that we had stayed the night with friends and we would not hesitate to return on one of our future trips to the area. A final bonus. Our three course a la carte meal was less than half the price of La Becasse.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank JemandCateCehegin
MIlton Keynes
“Nice Veggie food and good hosts”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

We could not find anywhere to eat and ended up at the Waterdine by accident. We rang ahead to make sure they were open and advised them that we were vegetarian and could they accomodate us for dinner. they were very welcoming and by the time we arrived down the back roads and found them we were welcomed with a drink and a personalised vegetarian menu just created by the chef. to say we were impressed was an understatement. We had a declicious meal. Not cheap but nice surroundings, good service and very delicous food. We were so pleased as vegetarians to also be given a choice on the menu. We will be back in June 2012! See you soon. shame we do not live nearby!

• Visited September 2011
London
“Ultimately disappointing”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The restaurant is in a very old building tucked away in beautiful, remote countryside. At £32 per head for 3 courses, we expected very good food. Unfortunately, my monkfish was dry and overcooked. The crab starter was thickened with so much mayonnaise--clearly a cost cutting measure-- that completely obliterated the delicate crab. My friend's lamb chops were cooked on one side and appeared to be uncooked on the other. Other comments were similarly lukewarm: food cooked wrong, under-flavoured. No excuses at this price.

• Visited August 2011