“"The customer is always right".......NOT !!!”
Review of Ragleth Inn

Ragleth Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated in the lovely village of Little Stretton 12 miles south of Shrewsbury, The Ragleth Inn is set in beautiful countryside a quarter of a mile off the A49.Dating back to 1663, the Ragleth Inn offers all you expect from an English Country Inn. The village is just south of Church Stretton, lying snug between the hills on what used to be the main road to Ludlow before it was by-passed. To the east are the wooded slopes of the Ragleth and to the west rises the Long Mynd.The Ragleth boasts one of the best pub gardens in Shropshire, set in approximately half an acre of lovely shrubs and trees. With the Ragleth Hill to one side, and the Longmynd to the other, the surrounding views are spectacular.The garden itself has benches which can seat up to 70 and is ideal for younger children with two large trampolines. Just two minutes walk behind the pub is the Small Batch campsite, nestled at the base of Ashes Hollow.The Ragleth offers two lounges with seating for 40 between them. There is also a separate dining room, which overlooks the garden area, and which seats 30.The new propriaters took over as new owners of The Ragleth Inn in June 2005. They closed the pub straight away to completely renovate it. The first thing was to knock off the plaster and expose all the lovely old brick walls and sand blast the old beams back to the original. Having fitted a new log burner in one of the lounges, The Ragleth now guarantees a warm and friendly welcome.
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We sadly had the misfortune to call into this local pub to round off our Sunday with a sweet as I had been told that the standard of food was of a " very" high quality.The staff were friendly,we placed our orders and went out into the garden area,the sweets arrived and looked " modest" .I had sticky toffee pudding and ice cream,i found it dry,very sweet and no sauce...just a small amount of crystallised sugar water... oh and the ice cream tasted as if it hadn`t been kept frozen properly,then to my horror I found a small hair in my pudding!!...then another!.I checked both hairs to make sure that they were what they looked to be[by checking that a spoon wouldn`t cut through them] I asked my Partner to return the partially eaten desert and show them the two small hairs that I`d found.To my surprise he returned with a squashed dried date...he said that it had been taken to the Chef who stated it was just date fibers, look and he showed me !! .I regularly cook this pudding,I know that dates have fibers[they disapear when put in a blender for a minute ],I also know the difference between date fibers and hairs!! I would have expected an apology at least ! a quality establishment would have apologised,offered another or alternative desert,if this was declined ..a full refund !!. I previously have had many years of experience in the catering profession and there was always one basic rule..."the customer is always right"....Where has this "Basic ethos" disappeared to?? all for the sake of £4.50,future custom will be lost, I find this very insulting! and will share my negative experience . Saddened ..

1  Thank Doris A

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were a group of 10 friends who had Sunday lunch at The Ragleth on 14th July. It was absolutely fabulous in every way. It was a very hot day and we were seated on a lovely square table inside.with plenty of space around it and it was really cool in the restaurant.
We were welcomed by the owner who took our order for food and drinks all of which came quickly. Good choice of starters, mains and puddings and our group certainly enjoyed the food. We asked for more roasties and they came quickly. And they even had decaff coffee
Waitresses came to the table during the meal to see if everything was OK and if we wanted more drinks. In fact we didn't have to go to the bar at all, except to pay.
Our group have eaten at the Ragleth before and it has always been excellent and very reasonably priced. Here's to the next time

1  Thank Margaret M
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Having lived in the area for 20 years I know this pub does have its ups and downs. Recently I have heard good things about the food so when friends were over we booked for sunday lunch.We were able to order fairly quickly and soon received our starters which is were problems began. Both the toast with pate and bread roll with soup were burnt in places.
Moving on to main meal three of the party ordered sunday lunch. This arrived with one tiny bowl of vegetables between them, cold yorkshire puddings and burn roast potatos. On complaining we eventually received replacement roast potatos and a further supply of cold yorkshire puddings!! After further comment these were removed microwaved and returned to us.As for boiled potatoes that other tables seemed to receive , none ever turned up for us.
Having brought guests to this pub I was extremely disapointed

2  Thank domtim
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Great evening meal, rang up at 6pm to see if they had a table for that evening and they were able to fit us in at 8pm Fab food and service. There was not a long wait although they were really busy.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Having done a long walk this pub was a welcome stop. We had a lovely pint of Hobsons beer, shared a squid, chilli and herb starter which was very good and I had grilled plaice which was fresh and my husband had pork and black pudding which he said was delicious. I tried the sauce and it was delicious. It is a very popular pub and we would not have got in had we not ordered before the reservations attended. We will be back.