“Peaceful”

and 1 more site!
Hopton House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 9 Craven Arms B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My girlfriend and I booked Hopton House for two nights as a base to explore the local area. Upon arriving we were both suitably impressed with the quiet rural location, tucked away as it is in this quiet and very scenic corner of Shropshire. Karen the owner greeted us and showed us to our marvellously furnished room, which I have to say offered a high degree of luxury. The extra attention to detail gave the room a real home from home feel, and the balcony with views to die for would surely have got more use on a warm summers evening. Upon waking after the first night I drew open the curtains and drank in the wonderful view, realising I had just had the best nights sleep in ages, the bed was just so comfy! The locally sourced breakfasts were of the highest quality and it was so hypnotising just to sit at the table and watch the chucks and birds feed outside. We dined in local gastro pubs in the evening and would heartily reccommend The Lion in Leintwardine, which is a short 3 mile hop across the border in Herefordshire. All in all a very relaxing stay in luxurious accomodation set in a tranquil location, far from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris R
BramblingTweets, Owner at Hopton House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Hello Chris
Thank you for your review.
I'm glad you had a good stay and loved the view and the birds and the chickens.
Hopefully you'll come back in the warmer months and try the balcony!

There are newer reviews for Hopton House Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Hopton House is one of those finds that once stayed in you wish to keep to your self as it is that good! But I cannot as that would be selfish and these straightened times not good for Karen's business. If you think you have had the best breakfast in Britain then you are wrong.. The list of options is too long to describe here cooked to order Eggs Benedict through to Omlette's and a fabulous Full English that with home made bread fied in virgin olive oil. I cant fault this B&B the service and room are above the 5 star rating. A Home made cake in the room (not a slice) and a wide selction of tea's and coffee. We stayed in the Granary it's the second time of many visits to come. There are many great pubs and restaurants around plus Ludlow, Stokesley Castle etc, etc on the doorstep. There is also a station within walking distance so no excuse for anyone who cant drive or doesnt want to. The room below us the Barn room is also accessable with a lovely seating area so we might go for this next time.
The Breakfast room is delightful set up for all your breakfast requirements. Coffee perculating to order, fresh orange juice pressed that morning and home made granola. The views out of the room an oak framed conservatory are fantastic a skyline of shropshire hills with a lovely landscaped garden full of rare breed chickens ( providing your eggs) plus bird tables where you can watch a large variety of breeds feed.
So get booking and enjoy one of the best B&B's in Britain!

Room Tip: I love the granary a large timber framed room with en suite with views across the fields to the moun...
1  Thank Francis_Shaw

Hi Francis
Wow - thanks for such a great review. And thank you for not keeping us to yourself :)
Hope to see you both again very soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have just come back from a wonderful two night break at Hopton House to celebrate my wife's birthday and I can honestly say it fulfilled all my (high) expectations and more.

From the silent fridge in the bedroom, to the lemon drizzle cake, the little things added up to a really rather wonderful whole.

Room Tip: The Barn was perfect for us
1  Thank Stewart N

Hi Stewart
Thank you for your review. I'm very glad that we exceeded expectations and that we contributed to your wife's birthday treat :)
There's always a lemon drizzle cake waiting for you here......

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Hopton House for 2 nights,it was our first visit.We stayed in the Granary Room on the first floor and it was a great choice,large comfy bed,huge bathroom and fantastic views.The host Karen prepares a sumptious breakfast,and has certainly got an eye for detail which is evident from the standard of the whole accomodation.
Perhaps the ultimate quality is the location,very rural but only 20 mins from the delights of Ludlow,and a choice of good pubs with food nearby,and the option of exploring further afield on the Heart of Wales Line from Hopton Station a 5 minwalk away.This is THE place to totally unwind and recharge the batteries,wecant wait to return !

1  Thank stephen h

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to do a review - we do appreciate it.
We are lucky to be able to enjoy the perks of rural living whilst having lots to do locally as well. The Heart of Wales Line has 1 small carriage and only goes in each direction 4 times a day but is lovely little train. We hope we will welcome you back soon to take a trip on it!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our second visit to Hopton House, staying 3 nights in the Barn room. Karen makes you feel so welcome, the rooms are spotless, with everything you could ever need for a relaxing stay (homemade cake and biscuits as well!!!)
The breakfasts are amazing, with a huge choice, including Eggs Benedict. Which I adore! Breakfast is cooked to perfection, delicious and very relaxed. Watching the chickens and birds through the window, with lots of tea, coffee, croissants to over indulge on, what could be better!

We found plenty to do in the area; Karen gives lots of information in her welcome pack. We spent a lovely day on the Severn Valley Railway Steam train. Which was great, stopping off at different villages, visiting the engine house and passing through stunning countryside?

I would highly recommend a stay at Hopton House, You’ll love it!

Room Tip: Karen accepts dogs in the Barn room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsey155
ShropshireLandlady, Owner at Hopton House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Hi Lindsey
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review.
It was great to welcome you back to the B&B and I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay .
Hopefully we'll be seeing you both again in the future.
All the best

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My partner and I originally stayed at Hopton House a couple of years ago on our quest to try out as many B&Bs in the lovely Shropshire countryside as we could find. Hopton House is definitely one we find ourselves repeatedly drawn back to. On one of our stays, Karen told me about the course that she runs on how to plan, set up and run a successful B&B / Self-catering business and I have just done the course this weekend. The two days were extremely professional and well thought out with excellent documentation for us to take away and refer to. Karen is an amusing and pragmatic teacher and attendees came away with clear plans and some new contacts - not to mention full tummies after the delicious lunch and endless supply of home made cake and biscuits. I found the experience inspiring and extremely useful.
In addition, my partner and I stayed in the Paddock Room on the Saturday night and sampled yet again Karen's super-soft and comfy beds, the delicious home made cakes and shortbread and luxuriated in an experience where no detail is overlooked and no little extra forgotten.

Thank you Karen.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dawn & Bob
It was great to welcome you back to the B&B and also onto the course.
I hope you found it useful and thank YOU for contributions to the day.
Thank you also for this review and your very kind words about the B&B.
I hope we will welcome you back again in the not too distant future and good luck with your self catering business venture - I'm sure you'll be very good at it.
Take care

Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was our final stop on a Uk road trip and we absolutely loved it. We had the Barn room, with our dog and it was spacious, clean and well equipped. Numerous extras made such a difference; the cake, the shortbread, the fridge and lots of information.

Karen was very helpful and welcoming and the chickens in the garden were great fun. We ate at two vastly contrasting places; the Lion at Leintwardine, good quality and a lovely spot and the White Horse at Clun, a good, busy, traditional pub with wholesome food. None was as good as the breakfast though; the smoothies and eggs benedict were superb and I loved the porridge too!

We will have no hesitation in returning.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
ShropshireLandlady, Owner at Hopton House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Peter and Brenda
Thank you for writing us such a great review.
It was a pleasure to welcome the 3 of you.
I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfasts and the porridge ( I really think our local organic porridge oats make all the difference ! ) and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards

#3 of 9 in Craven Arms
Elm Lodge
Elm Lodge
#2 of 49 in Ludlow

Been to Hopton House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!