“Lovely friendly place”

Ranked #3 of 9 Craven Arms B&B and Inns
Reading, United Kingdom
“Lovely friendly place”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Read some reviews on here and thought the place would be a bit iffy based on the price of £30 for the room. Just finished my excellent full english breakfast and have to say what a great weekend I have had. Dinner last night was beautiful, slow cooked lamb breast presented with an appealing plate of veg. Staff are very friendly and i would highly recommend a stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cornwall, UK
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed here with my two children, my grans 90th birthday lunch was held at the Stokesay so it was very convienient for us to stay overnight.
We had a lovely, clean, spacious room and bathroom, with tea and coffee facilities. Great breakfast in the morning. Lovely helpful staff

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
South of England
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed here for one night recently. One of our elder offspring was with us and he had his own room. It had a hole in the wall, evidence of water ingress through the ceiling, peeling paint, a bed that looked fit to collapse and old & very tired decor. My wife and I worried about our room. When we finally got to see it, it was better but not by much. We had a miniature wardrobe which was too small to hang a suit, the tv did not work (no digital signal apparently), there were tea making facilities but no cups and again mold/water ingress through the celing.
However, the staff were friendly and the breakfast we had the next morning - although nothing out of the ordinary - was tasty, well cooked and served by a friendly waitress.
Its evident that the current owners have been around with a pot of paint, but this place needs so much more...like closing down for a few months and gutting from top to bottom. I cannot quite understand why rooms are currently let given the state they are in.
Would we stay here again? Definitely not.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Looking for somewhere to stay for the Ludlow Food Festival, we’d left it too late to book anywhere in Ludlow and chanced upon The Stokesay Inn in nearby Craven Arms. I have to say that this would not have been my first choice of accommodation; however, we were very pleasantly surprised.
Their only available room was the family room (which sleeps three) but, as I was travelling with my son, this was fine, especially for the very reasonable £75 per room per night. On arrival on Friday morning, the staff were very friendly and helpful – happy to let us leave our car and even giving us the number of a local taxi to take us into Ludlow.
When we returned late in the afternoon to prepare for dinner, we found our room very clean and comfortable; nicely decorated and lovely and bright with dual aspect windows.
We did not eat at the inn as we had already booked a restaurant in Ludlow, but the menu looked quite nice and was very keenly priced. We had a drink in the bar before we left and again were helped to find a taxi.
We both slept very well, although my son did find the single bed a bit lumpy. There was plenty of hot water and complimentary toiletries for a shower in the morning. My only criticism of the bathroom is that the bath towels are a bit small and mirror isn’t very brightly lit.
Breakfast is not included in the room rate and (as we were going to a food festival!) we didn’t try it, although other guests that we saw seemed to be enjoying it.
We didn’t see much of Craven Arms itself, but it’s very handy for lovely Ludlow, with a regular bus service and just one stop away on the train.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Zoe C
Craven Arms, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Great place for excellent Ale, very well cooked local food, the staff are friendly and hard working, Rez is the perfect host.
Since taking on the Stokesay, Tina and Rez have tastefully refurbished the restaurant, Lounge and bar. It is a lovely place to visit.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank tom t
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Me and my family have a meal in the Stokesay hotel most weekends, the food is always lovely and the HPA is just as good. The staff are always attentive and very friendly, the managers have done so much to the hotel since they took it over and they have really worked hard to improve every aspect of it. I haven't actually stayed in the rooms as it is our local but I have looked around them and they look accommodating and very clean. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, it's a lovely family pub and we are always made to feel very welcome.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Jayroo0427
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

A tired pub hotel which needs some serious redecoration and refurbishment. Plus points excellent breakfast and friendly hardworking staff. Would I stay there again no I would pay a bit more next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Church Stretton
The Boars Head Hotel
The Boars Head Hotel
#1 of 11 in Bishops Castle

Been to Stokesay Inn? Share your experiences!