“Never Again!!”
Review of Stokesay Inn

Stokesay Inn
Ranked #3 of 10 Craven Arms B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Stayed in this Hotel (Should rename it hostel!) for a couple of nights
The room was small and in desperate need of decorating, it had wood chip wall paper that was peeling, the door felt very insecure and if someone pushed hard enough i reckon that it would have opened!
The TV was mounted on the wall, but too high up to watch from the bed. and to boil the kettle you had to pace it on the floor! Not a very safe thing to do!
On the plus side at least the water in the bathroom was hot, the cleanliness was to be desired and the light cover in the bathroom had a big hole burnt into it.
Decided on the first night to sample the food, asked for a pork chop, tht is what i got, no vegetables! just a few very soggy chips,
This is unfortunate as the Landlord is actually a very nice chap.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Philw1970

Reviewed April 26, 2011

We used this hotel as a base to explore Stokesay castle and area over Easter. It is more of a pub with rooms and a restaurant but is very welcoming. The room had a flat screen tv, fridge and good mattress. The food from the restaurant was well cooked and fast and there was a good selection of bitters!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I found this hotel extremely welcoming. The staff were friendly and went out of their way to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay. The room was clean and adequately provisioned. The breakfast was very good. It was, overall, excellent value.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 6, 2010

We stayed for one night at the hotel during a 5 day walking holiday in the Shropshire hills.
We arrived at the hotel absolutely wet through and were immediately offered the use of a washing machine to wash and dry our clothes. Our clothes were more wet than dirty and we were given access to the boiler room to dry them out.
The rooms were of a good size and simple and clean. We did eat in the hotel and dinner was very good. The full English breakfast was also very good.
Nothing was too much of a problem for the very helpful staff.
I would recommend the hotel to travellers passing through wanting good simple food and accomodation.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I was very shocked to read nturner123 reviews for The Stokesay Castle Hotel or Inn as he called it! My Husband and I have been to Shropshire and have stayed in The Stokesay, twice. I have never had any reason to complain and find it very hard to believe that he found so many thing wrong in his stay there unless he was there for 6months or more. I will also be staying there again soon for the royal welsh show that is Builth Wells which is a good 45min from Craven Arms but to find some where as good a value and welcoming as The Stokesay is very few and far between. The food is always spot on when I have stayed there and have never not eaten the fresh breakfast I was given. There was also other people staying in the hotel at the same time as us and I never heard them complaining! I do also happen to know that they no longer test the kettle for safety, it is the power lead that they test. The Stokesay is a very old building and I should of thought that some day the dust will get the better of them and I rather the fly are dead then flying round my head at least they have taken measure to kill them and sure everybody knows that there are billions! I hope that anyone else who has read his review will now think twice! I stand by this comment that I have made so strongly that I am willing to give my number out to confirm that I am a genuine person. Many regards Rosie. 0786 392 6995 x can i also ad as there no where else to put it. The staff are ever so helpful and the take to time to talk to you about the local history as we found after coming there for the 1st time for wedding and not haveing much time, after speaking to them and from seeing bits and bobs we deciding that we would come back for a long weekend and are very glad we did as Craven arms has so much to offer x

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2009

Staff very friendly, food is excellent, nice atmoshpere, Made to feel very welcome and comfortable. Accomodation was clean and tidy. Would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2009

terrible room, dirty everywhere except the towels and sheets.

dust all over the place, especially in the bathroom

broken lights

dirty carpet

bunkbeds crammed in a double bed room

dead flys and bugs in and around the kettle which was not recently tested for elec safety in 2004 !!!

breakfast was not good, mold on the bread and full english that was partly done in the mircowave and with grey bacon ? did not eat it after seeing the mold

stay in a private b & b nearby but dont stay here

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Ashlea Pools Country Park
Ashlea Pools Country Park
#1 of 6 in Craven Arms
Hopton House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Stokesay Inn? Share your experiences!