“Don't bring the cat......”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleobury Mortimer
The Crown At Hopton
Ormskirk
“Don't bring the cat......”
Reviewed August 30, 2010

the room wasn't big enough to swing it! We specifically asked for a room with a double bed and were put in one of the "cottages" where the room measured 10'8" by 11' exactly. The wooden bedstead obscured the view of the tiny TV - the solution is to remove one of the draws and rest the TV on that.

Before we move on to other things I need to talk about the room a little more: cleaning them once in a while would be nice. Dead moths on the window cill, plenty of spiders and cobwebs and dust. As for the toilet - splashing a bit of toilet duck about just doesn't do it, poo and pee stains round the rim and bowl need to be CLEANED OFF! And fix the toilet roll holder; it's just a matter of tightening a screw. Oh, carpet in the bathroom - please! Between the noise from the bathroom extract fan in the next room and the traffic roaring up the hill I can't say it was the quietest two nights, but at least the road isn't that busy.

More staff, particularly at breakfast would help. One person (trying his best) is not enough. It would also be nice to get everything you ordered - for all those that did order toast, got it but didn't touch it....b&$*~#ds.. I really wanted mine. Cold tea and instant coffee in a cafetiere (the menu says freshly brewed) - and if it has to be instant, more than just enough to colour the water would be nice.

On the plus side, the food was very good - couldn't fault the evening meal and breakfast was good if not fully co-ordinated (not enough staff), and the kettle in the room boiled quickly!

In summary, a nice place but too many corners are being cut to make it a truly pleasurable stay.. Katherine and Terry, you must try harder (which may mean getting up a tad earlier!).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2010

The Crown gladly took best part of £2000 off of our party for very little in return.
Damp rooms, mouldy bathrooms, unclean bedrooms, surly and unhelpful staff, toilet flushes that don't work, rooms that have seen better days - probably more than 5 years ago when the photos were taken!
No vegetarian options, poor breakfast choices, long waits for service, an over whelming reluctance to do their job - eg answer the door to enable you to get back in to the place after dark.
Shockingly bad filing systems with terrible records of advance payments or bookings so that you risk being charged twice. I could go on. If it weren't for the nearby wedding venue the place would have gone out of business years ago.
Find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed August 2010
4 Thank Crown186220

Travelers are raving about these Cleobury Mortimer hotels

UK
Reviewed March 31, 2010

We did experience a few problems and surprises. We had not expected to be called at 10.20 the night before to see where we were .. . our booking was definitely for the next 2 nights, but the hotel were in a muddle over which date it was on the Saturday!

The staff were lovely and keen to please, but our rooms did have a few problems, we were in the new extension rooms 23 - 25, in one the flush on the loo would not stop running (although we developed plumbing skills and worked out what to do), it had clearly been happening for a while and whilst someone came quickly to look at it the problem it was not resolved by them. Another room had cold water in the hot tap and no water in the cold tap, the final room everything worked, except for the light in the bathroom, and the a flashing light on the shower which made us a bit anxious. But, as we had all 3 rooms in the building we just shared the facilities.

Our rooms weren't ready when we arrived - we were early, but we were given coffee and sat by a lovely log fire while we waited.

The breakfast was excellent if you had the smoked salmon and scrambled egg, the english breakfast was a bit greasey and the fried bread inedible, but we asked for fruit and had a lovely mixture of fresh fruit. We did learn that if you want something you need to ask for it and it comes with a smile.

We chose to eat in the 'fine dining' restaurant where the food was of mixed quality, the starters were excellent, the sea bass and asparagus lovely, but the drizzle of balsamic on the salmon was a flood and made the vegetables inedible. we asked for 3 coffees, got 3 mints but 2 coffees and couldn't find anyone to ask for the third . . it appeared on the bill, our wine didn't, but it all got sorted, although we never did see the final coffee.

The location is great, what a surprise the escarpment on the road to Ludlow was, the most fantastic views. . .and you do get what you pay for and the room rate had been very reasonable.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank holidaybug
Bucks
Reviewed February 26, 2010

We have just spent 3 nights at the Crown in at Hopton Wafers. Our welcome was warm and friendly, our cases were carried to our room which was warm and cosy. It was a very pretty beamed room with a vase of fresh flowers, bottled water & a kettle to make tea coffee and hot chocolate.The bathroom was a little small but clean with plenty of fluffy towels and soaps etc. There was a very good choice on the restaurant menu. I chose Sea Bass which was cooked to perfection the vegtables were cooked just as I like them and all the food was hot, the plates were hot which is always a good sign. The breakfast was freshly cooked to order The fruit at breakfast was fresh raspberries and strawberrys so much nicer that prunes and tinned grapefruit which is often on offer at even top class hotels. The staff were friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a small hotel with old world charm in a lovely part of the country the The Crown Inn at Hopton Wafers is for you,

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Anglesey
Reviewed November 22, 2009

Stopped over here on a Saturday night on the way home from Cardiff. We paid £75.00 for a double room, and this included breakfast. We also had dinner in the restaurant on the Saturday evening.
My wife and I have spent a good deal of time eating out and staying at hotels over the last few years as our children have become more widely spread around the world.
I have to say that The Crown at Hopton Wafers provided us with excellent value for money: all the food we ate appeared to have been made using high quality ingredients - it was also very well cooked, particularly the breakfast on Sunday morning; the location is tranquil and very attractive; and its proximity to The Ludlow Food Centre on the A49 is an added bonus.

1 Thank dienw
surrey
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Two single rooms. One adequate if overheated, one adequate but cold.
Shower in room 9 either scalding hot or stone cold. Reported but not fixed two days later.
Whilst staff were generally good the understaffing was extremely serious. As an exampe shortage of staff was so abysmal that after a wait of half an hour plus for breakfast on the second day of our stay we decided to obtain breakfast elsewhere, and cut short our stay.....certainly neither a four star nor a value for money establishment.

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2009

The first thing I noticed upon arrival was that the room (no.5) was rather ‘compact’, the second thing was the absence of a TV. When I went down to report it I was told that they could not quite understand as to why there was no TV in the room but they promised to sort it out immediately. When I went back to the room about an hour later, having had a drink in the bar, the TV still had not appeared and I went back down again and asked what happened to it. They young man behind the bar went off to check and finally came back with a TV, plugged it in and it was fine. It was about 5pm by then and the room and the bathroom felt rather cold so I tried to switch on the heater which was mounted on the wall and supported by two house bricks. Nothing happened, I turned the little knobs and fiddled with the controls but had no joy, the heater stayed cold and so I went downstairs again to report it. Once again I was told it would be sorted out and I went back up and waited for someone to come and look at the heater. My wife wanted to have a shower and get changed but felt uncomfortable about it as the room was too cold by then and surely somebody would come to the room and do something about the heater. Nobody turned up so down I went again to be greeted by a young lady who quite sternly told me that they were aware of the problem with the heater and that they were looking for a another heater to for our room. It did arrive some 10 minutes later and it worked fine.
As I said at the beginning the room was rather small, it contained only ONE chair to sit on to watch the TV, the second person had to sit on the bed with a totally obstructed view as somehow the bed was the wrong way round with the high headboard by your feet and the low end of the bed against the wall making it impossible to watch the TV whilst lying in bed. There was also only one bedside cabinet with a missing/broken handle and which was dominated by a table lamp which, apart from another lamp on a small table by the window was the only source of lighting in the room.
There was a somewhat larger table lamp on a drawer cabinet, but this one was not working and had no bulb in it. The three doors of the drawer cabinet were locked and could not be used and one of the draws contained a broken castor wheel.
I also noticed that the courtesy tray had two cups but just one saucer and that there was only one glass on the small wooden bathroom shelf. There was no other shelf or anything else to place any toilet bags or cosmetics, they had to go on the floor.
The shower cubicle was extremely small and you could not avoid it but to knock the mixer tap when turning round which could be quite dangerous if you push it inadvertently towards the hot water setting.
When we went to bed I unplugged the heater they had supplied as I don’t like sleeping in a warm room but somehow the room did not cool down and when I checked it out in the middle of the night I found to my surprise that the wall mounted heater, which had shown no sign of life before, was suddenly working overtime.
To sum up my experience in room number 5 I would say that this room is not suitable to be used as a double room, it could also do with some attention and needs an urgent make over.
This feedback is purely based on the room allocated to me upon my arrival, it does not mean that all the other rooms at the Crown are like this, they maybe excellent but as I have not seen one I cannot make any comments as to the standards of rooms in general. This would not be fair or just.
The food in the restaurant, there are three altogether, was fine and the prices are in line with the price structure of similar establishments

1 Thank Redpumpernickel
The Elms
The Elms
#1 of 1 in Abberley
Travelodge Ludlow Hotel

Been to The Crown At Hopton? Share your experiences!