“Lovely weekend”

The Crown At Hopton
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Crown at Hopton Wafers is a lovely Inn with good beer and food. Rooms are comfortable and reasonable well equipped as expected for such a place. It is just a few miles from Clee Hill village where you can experience one of the best views in the country looking south over 7 counties and not far from Ludlow, Leominster etc. Really enjoyed our 3 night stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank 0823Malcolm52
There are newer reviews for The Crown At Hopton

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Before we went on our short GoGroupie deal I made the mistake of reading the reviews that people had written....my heart sank! But to our delight we found that the earlier reviews didn't match our own experience.....yes there is a need to do some updating and maintenance as others have suggested, and a little more care with some aspects of staff training and aspects of customer service but that's being picky. We had a lovely stay especially given the discounted deal we went in on....not sure I would pay the rack rate to stay. The food was excellent as was the warmth of the staff.

4  Thank Steveg63
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here for a 2 night break with a on line deal, rooms are very old looking, but it is an old type pub but it could do with a lick of paint in rooms to brighten it up. beds uncomfortable( for me anyway) we were in room 7, no where to plug your hairdryer near the large mirror in the room. bathroom hot tap at sink didn't work but plenty of hot water in shower. every time we flushed loo it sounded like a boat fog horn, so we dare not flush late at night because of the noise it made. plenty of tea facilities in room which is good, always filled up. at breakfast you are given 2 choices, continental or cooked english. if you have cooked you are not allowed cereals. (for 2 pounds extra you can (what cheek)stayed in cheaper and better places that give you everything.if you have continental you get toast or 1 crossiant. so be aware. the ladies who serve you are very pleasant but the manager needs some customer skills or put it bluntly a smiling skill. also not very talkative. sorry would not stay here again

Room Tip: Rooms 6,To 8 Are Above Where People Sit Outside For A Drink And Smoke So Can Be A Bit Noisey If You...
1  Thank milkate
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a KGB voucher and had a really lovely time!! We stayed in room 16 (i think) just separate from the pub and the room was lovely yes ok a few things could have done with updating/ maintenance but overall was a lovely room and both me and my partner had the best nights sleep we had had in a long time!! I think some of the reviews have been a bit harsh and to be honest it's one of those places where you have to see for yourself! We only ever stay in a hotel to sleep and relax as we're always out exploring in the day! Let's be honest if all you have to moan about is a spec of dust or chipped paint then you should stay somewhere with less character and a much bigger bill!! It's a lovely spot with lovely neighbouring towns and a nice country drive to the hotel itself! Don't let other reviews put you off if all your looking for is a place to sleep wash and have breakfast as overall it ticks all the boxes and we would stay here again!!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank PeteNBex
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Arrival: The hotel/pub is quite easy to find on a very long country road and has ample car parking. Check-in was quick and easy and shown to the room.

Room: Room was quite spacious, very clean and tidy with a nice bed with plenty of pillows and a duvet. The mattress was firm which suited me and I had a very good nights sleep. The room overlooks the rear yard, nothing to see but so what, go out and enjoy the countryside to see it. Plenty of cupboard and wardrobe space. Tea, coffee milk and biscuits provided with kettle. TV DVD and Freeview in room. Hairdryers could be requested. Room had wifi (very on and off, however the signal on my phone was non existent in the area completely so not just an issue at this hotel). Nice fluffy towels provided as were toiletries. Lovely cottagey look/feel. My room had no main light, just a selection of lamps however this gave plenty of illumination for the short time I was in the room and not asleep. There was a generator (or similar) out the back which was quite noisy in the morning, it didn't wake me up but noticeable over the sound of the TV once awake.
Bathroom: Shower was very hot, very very hot - so don't get in until you have it at the right temperature, the flow was good too. Compact bathroom with toilet sink and shower, plenty of space for what you need to do!
Food: I had an evening meal, the food was very nice. There were about 9 or 10 main course choices, covering most of the main meats/veggie options. There were less starters, quite a nice selection but most were "on toast" and I don't eat bread. The restaurant was clean, fresh with plenty of tables though it filled up quickly and not just residents so that says a lot if the locals eat here
Breakfast: Continental or Full English or Salmon and Egg. There were juices/cereals and tea and coffee also available, a good selection sitting 0830-0930.

Overall, foodwise If I went again Id make sure I got in before 1930 hours as 2 courses were about £15 whereas I just missed this and it was £22 for the quantity at a pub restaurant I thought was a bit pricey and there are a number of pubs within a short drive.
The stay was nice, clean, tidy comfortable and staff who wanted to help. I think they, or at least some of them, have only just taken over and are eager to make guests feel at home. If this continues it will prove to be a good stop. I wouldn't hesitate in staying again. The "cottage" type accommodation outside the main block also looked nice. The service was very good and attentive.

Room Tip: Rear rooms 9, 11 I don't know what others have a generator going in the morning out back
2  Thank ImOntheroadagain74
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Hotel was in a lovely area with plenty to do nearby - walks, towns to visit, National Trust properties etc. Very Large room & huge bathroom with separate shower/wet-room area. However, toilet was so close to the bath it was difficult to use. Hotel food was excellent so we ate there each night. Lots of choice at breakfast. We stayed 3 nights on a 'Wowcher' voucher & it was fantastic value for money. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda W
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We went to the crown on a KGB deal with a lot of apprehension having seen the reviews. But all I can say I don't know what people want born complainers I would suggest, We had a beautiful room (room 10). The bed was more comfortable than my own, beautifully decorated, quaint with the existing beams I would imagine. The whole place exudes the atmosphere of an old country pub, the food was very very good. Yes the floorboards creaked but its what I would have expected in an old inn... No complaints at all, a visit to,Ludlow well recommended beautiful,place....

Room Tip: Room 10 beautiful
1  Thank KIm M
The Granary Hotel and Restaurant
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bewdley

Been to The Crown At Hopton? Share your experiences!