“Great food - dozy service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Crown At Hopton

The Crown At Hopton
“Great food - dozy service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

This pub is in a beautiful part of the world. There is a great value deal on food before 7.30 p.m. The food is excellent particularly at that price. It needs a front of house manager as the staff are so dozy it is painful.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Nigel D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Dukinfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Once again a fantastic stay great staff quirky rooms and fantastic food, not forgeting the first class service and warm welcome.
I would recomend this quirky friendley hotel to anyone and even better news you wont have to go out and find some place to eat your in the best restruant in the area and the food is at great prices to suit your pocket

Room Tip: All very individual
1 Thank Phil Marie R
Shepperton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights on kgb deal and were thoroughly impressed. Nice comfortable room in stable block with comfortable bed, lovely fresh clean linen and towels with tv and coffee/tea etc all nicely presented. Food excellent, evening meal good quality and breakfast very substantial and nicely presented. Staff are all very friendly and obliging, work hard with good customer service and thank you Jordan for just going that extra mile with friendliness, it didnt go unnoticed! Thoroughly recommend.

1 Thank JoanieShepperton
Dronfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had a really lovely 3 days here, easy to find, and within reach of many wonderful attractions. The service is very good, and the staff all very friendly. The food is good Inn food, and reasonably priced. Please note, that there are steps and no lift. There is wi-fi access, but a bit patchy. The bed was very comfortable, and the room plenty big enough. The down side was the bathroom, had to bend nearly double to use the shower. DON'T HAVE ROOM 12.

Room Tip: Don't have room 12
1 Thank Derek R
Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Just come back from a 2 night break at the Crown booked through KGB. The staff were extremely pleasant and nothing was too much trouble. We were shown to our room in the cottages - room very nice. My sister and cousin had rooms in the main Inn - both rooms very nice although room 8 is a bit noisy being on the main road. Beds very comfy. Food absolutely excellent - we ate from the early bird menu which was just lovely - plentiful. We ordered steaks one night - excellent. Breakfast great - fresh fruit salad, fruit juice, tea/coffee/ full English or scrambled eggs with salmon. Would certainly go there again - can't see where some of the people who have stayed here are coming from!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Came across this pub on Wednesday May 29th, looked at the menu and decided to book a table for 4 at 7.00 We arrived promptly and ordered our food. Two of our party were having starters and the other two elected to wait so we could eat our main courses together, The 2 starters did not arrive until 7,40 and the main meals ( after a reminder) eventually turned up at 8.05. An attempt to order 2 deserts was fraught as one of those offered on the special menu was 'unavailable'.We were eventually offered the main menu at no extra charge and chose Black Forest roulade. This turned out to be a slice of chocolate swiss roll bearing no resemblance to Black Forest, no cherries. no liqueur.The sound of the waitress apologising began to get rather tedious and we were glad to eventually leave at 9.20!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank oaptraveller_11

Travelers are raving about these Cleobury Mortimer hotels

Worcester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

We used our KGB deal to buy a two night break over the spring bank holiday (Sunday and Monday night). When we got there, there didn't seem to be anyone capable of doing the reception duties. The young woman who finally did check us in was strangely off-hand and it took about 10 minutes to take us across to our room (and, call me old fashioned, but I didn't like the way she kept calling us 'guys' - I am in my 50s my husband in his 60s - it didn't seem very respectful). The room, in one of the cottages, was sweet and spotlessly clean, but as other people have said is very noisy - the people upstairs seemed to be tramping about on the floor above all night (don't want to know any more!)

We decided to go over to the bar for a drink at 6 and the ale was very good but the young girl behind the bar was very very vague; after we had asked to put the drink tab on our room bill and she took our room number down, she then asked us if we were staying the night , duh!

We were eating at 7.30 but as we had seen the menu and knew what we wanted, we asked if we could order then (about 6.00) to make sure of our choices as my husband does not eat meat and there was only one fish dish on the menu. There then ensued a bizarre conversation with the girl behind the bar, one of the waitresses and a regular who was drinking at the bar about whether they should or should not tell the chef about our request or whether to just leave our order behind the bar until we sat at our table. I insisted that they take it to the chef so he knew to put two portions aside for us, one plaice and one stuffed venison (which sounded delicious and I was sure would run out quickly). Eventually they did what we asked.

At 7.30 we asked if we could go to our table. The restaurant (which has two large rooms of tables) was empty except for a group of 4 people in the corner. The waitress (who was the girl serving at the bar) showed us to a tiny table in the middle of a corridor between the two rooms. I objected to this strongly on the grounds that there were so many empty tables and after saying that all the other tables were reserved, she finally relented and we went to a table further into the room that had enough space to eat comfortably. The waitress came over and asked if we would like to order - we reminded her that we had ordered earlier - bearing in mind the strange (long) conversation we had had only just over an hour before and the fact that there was hardly anyone else there, it seemed odd she had forgotten.

First course arrived (goats cheese tarts) - very good indeed. While we were eating another couple came and sat behind us and ordered the venison. They were told there was none left. I looked at my husband and said "if they have not kept some back for me, I shall be really mad".
Just then our waitress (the vague girl) came to our tables holding two plates (too high to see what was on them). " A plaice and a Pork" she said (oh oh I thought they have no venison and are trying to fob me off with pork). I told her ours was plaice and venison and she looked confused. Then the couple behind us said, "That must be ours we ordered plaice and pork",
so she put the food on their table and told them she would come back with their vegetables.
After a few minutes, I then saw her approach the bar looking a bit upset and say to the young woman behind the bar (the one who checked us in who I now presumed was supervisor) that she had given someone the wrong food; some whispered discussion later, she approached the couple behind us said she was sorry but she had given them the wrong meals; she had given them plaice and venison instead of plaice and pork (the chap told me later, he was delighted as he had wanted venison in the first place but had been told there was none left so when a plate of venison turned up he wasn't going to complain). She stood looking at them while they looked confused, not knowing what she wanted them to do about it. He said "Do you want me to give it back? I have already started eating". She then turned to us and said it should have been ours - managing to make the couple feel guilty and us feel awkward. Double whammy.

I also knew what this meant - she had given away my venison and there was now none left I was extremely angry, and emphasised that we had ordered at 6pm to make sure of our choice. She said she was sorry and did I want to order anything else - I said I wanted to see the manager She went off and came back 2 minutes later and said the manager was chefing and could not come out Did I want anything else. Trying to keep my temper, I asked what other red meat they had (as I had ordered a good glass of red wine to have especially with my venison) and she disappeared again. She then said chef had said I could have a venison fillet and it would take about another 15 or 20 minutes (which it did). By now I was trying to calm my husband down as he was getting very angry and I did not want it to spoil our evening. But luckily the couple behind us started talking to us and apologised (for what, not their fault) and we all started laughing about it. (However, they never got their vegetables).

But then....... the group of 4 who were in the restaurant when we arrived and had presumably been waiting for a long time, were told by their waitress that there was now no plaice left (and of course no venison) and one of the other options was also finished; they also did not have the wine they wanted. One of the party said they would like to have something off the other menu for the price of the set menu. Off trundled the waitress to the kitchen and came back to say chef said they would have to pay the full price. This infuriated the customer (who by now had been waiting for ages for his dinner along with his companions) and demanded to see the manager (chef). We were then treated to the chef storming into the dining room (luckily not clutching a meat cleaver), shouting at the poor customer that he would have to f***king well pay the full price for the meal because he said so and it was his place. The customer who was quite tall, then stood up and the chef tried squaring up to him (unsuccessfully) and said he didn't care how big he was it was his place and told him to get out. The customer pointed out all four of them were staying the night, had paid for it already and would not be going anywhere. The chef stormed off, the customer followed, one of the other party trying to call him back, there were some very heated words outside, then the customer came back and announced he would be having the other menu, at the reduced price (of course - what were they thinking of, not agreeing to this straight away after such disappointment).

By this time, I was laughing hysterically and so were the couple behind us, but I was also trying to eat quickly in case he decided to throw us all out - and the food was excellent so I wanted to eat it.

At the end of the meal, the strange receptionist/deputy manager came and (sort of) apologised by saying that the mistake had been made because someone had changed tables and that confused the waitress. (That was of course us, who had been seated by the very same waitress so what it was she was confused about I have no idea). She also said it was a shame she did not know what was going on at the time because she was behind the bar - oddly I saw the waitress go straight to her for advice so this was a lie. The other couple said they were upset they did not get any vegetables with their meal but she could not give them any discount on it - the best she could do would be give them a glass of wine. But as they pointed out, they already had half a bottle left. I suggested that she leave a note at the bar for 2 glasses for them for the next evening but this was impossible apparently.

Needless to say, neither us nor the other couple ate at their restaurant on our second night's stay. It was a complete farce and the evening was only saved because we all laughed about it and got on really well, but really it was shocking incompetence and terrible service from the chef down to the waitress.

I could not recommend this place which is a shame because the food is fab, but I would not want to inflict the embarrassment of sitting through this farce on anyone else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,100 reviews
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#1 of 14 in Shrewsbury

Been to The Crown At Hopton? Share your experiences!