“weekend Break”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleobury Mortimer
The Crown At Hopton
Warrington, United Kingdom
“weekend Break”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and i have recently returned from a weekend break at this hotel we found the staff very helpfull and pleasant we were in room 8 which although on the front by the road was really quiet and was a beautiful room with a quaint old world feel .
Although we didn't eat in the restaurant at night the breakfast facilities were lovely plenty of fresh juices and cereals and fruit full english breakfast and plenty of toast all washed down with plenty of tea. The bar in the evening was always very welcoming and full of local friendly people as well as other guests i would definately recommend this hotel to my family and friends we had a lovely peaceful stay

Room Tip: room 8 was beautiful
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
North West, England
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just returned today after a two night stay booked through a KGB deal. Having read people's opinions after booking I really didn't know what to expect. I asked when booking did they have an annex with access to outside as we were taking our cocker spaniel was informed they did so that was booked. Upon arriving the lady on reception who was great took us to our room it was quite small compared to other places we have stayed especially so as we took our dogs bed. However on entering the cottage where there was an upstairs room ours on the ground floor number 23 not only had a door into the room from the corridor but a door from the bedroom which went directly into the garden which was great for us with our dog. As a smoker myself it was great as I could just pop outside sit at a picnic table just outside the door. Just be careful though as the step down to the garden was really high really needs two steps. The bedding was lovely white, crisp and clean.
Tv is free view. Bathroom doesn't have a bath just a shower which was fine by us.
We decided to eat in the hotel and we could eat in the bar area and take our dog with us. I had the most beautiful lasagne with a green leaf salad with balsamic vinegar with chips. It was wonderful, fresh and home cooked. The chips were the best I have ever tasted crunchy, fat and fluffy inside. Think it was about £12 which I thought a bit expensive but was wonderful. However I could only eat one chip as was very filling so my husband who had chicken curry with rice and a popadom are my chips. The rice head was a very small portion but he said the curry was great.
We were going to eat in Ludlow on the Sunday night but decided to eat again at the hotel. I had Cajun chicken gougons with lemon mayonnaise which was actually a starter but I asked could I have this as a main course with chips and the lovely salad and they said fine. It was absolutely wonderful and cost £9.95. In fact too much so our dog had some as did my husband. He had braised beef with chips although he could have had mashed potatoes with two dishes of vegetables! He said it was fantastic. I cannot say enough about the food it was great.
The staff were so friendly but them as our dog was with us he always seems to draw the crowds staff and customers wanting their photos taken with them (thinking of charging people lol). He is a chocolate and tan cocker spaniel very soft, woolly and friendly and used to by now of people wanting to stroke him, lift him up and patting him lol.
We felt so comfortable there, wonderful friendly staff, lovely food but room quite small. However people we spoke to who were staying in the main hotel their rooms were lovely and spacious.
Breakfast has a buffet for cereal, grapefruit , fruit juice and a coffee percolator. Tea is ordered. A full English breakfast comprises of one sausage, one rasher of bacon, one piece of black pudding, half a tomato, half a sluice of fried bread, a few mushrooms and one fried egg. You can order egg or scrambled egg on toast. It's not a huge breakfast but what I don't eat I bring back to the room for our dog. You can order as much toast as you want.
I want to thank all the staff can't remember their names the 'girls' were brilliant as was Gary and Kane happy 21st birthday for today
Would we stay there again.........definitely.

Room Tip: Want a bigger room stay in main hotel. Must add phone reception dreadful although you can get free w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ben&Ted
CHELTENHAM
Reviewed November 18, 2012

yet another couple who visited using a voucher, husband had asked for room 10 after reading tthe reviews, on first entering "how Quaint " quickly became OH dear - plaster missing from the door frame stained bathroon carpet , and a shower at 5,7" i couldnt stand up in and use the shower head. I fully appreciate it is an old building with low ceilings however with a bit of imagination this could have been overcome. Bedding was mismatched but clean. however the bed itself provided a princess and the pea experience with springs or similar at hip height digging in. Hotel was in process of being painted but money needs to be invested everywhere. an old lady of a hotel who has definitley seen better days. Breakfast served by friendly staf but was on the small side and room was cold .

1 Thank JACQUI22Cheltenham
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Recently purchased a "Wowcher" deal for a 3 night stay, never having used a voucher offer for hotel accommodation, I wasn't sure what to expect............but what a nice experience it was.
A very warm welcome awaits guests at the Crown, every member of staff is so helpful and courteous and nothing is too much trouble. The included breakfast was really lovely and for the price we paid............. I don't know how they do it.
The food is excellent, we ate there 3 times (Sunday lunch and Monday & Tuesday evenings) and the menu choice and selection is extensive.
This is a 200 year old property so creaking floors and such are expected, and all add to the charm of the place.
The beds were the most comfortable I have ever slept in away from home - and generally I have real trouble due to Arthritis, but the bed was heavenly.

Fabulous large open fires - one in the Restaurant, with a comfy sofa either side, (ideal to relax and enjoy a post dinner brandy) and one in the bar, really lovely on these chilly evenings.

All in all, the deal price was excellent value for money and we will definately return.
location is ideal for exploring this lovely area - Ludlow, Leominster etc.

If you want contemperary modern hotels, the crown is probably not for you, but for personal service with a smile, and cosy, comfortable, old world charm - you won't go far wrong.

Room Tip: For rooms on the ground floor ask for room 16 or 17.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Karen S
East Midlands
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here last week as part of a KGB deal - a steal really for the price. Lovely friendly front of house staff as previously mentioned. Our thanks to Gary especially as nothing was too much trouble for him - walks were photocopied from their local guide and tips given on local delights such as Ludlow with its castle, market and quaint quirky town gems.

The food at the Crown is truly spectacular, huge portions, freshly cooked and wonderfully presented. While the rooms do need a bit of an upgrade, they are warm, clean and well appointed; previous critics are just far too picky. Our room had a bit of a wobbly bed propped up by a copy of David Copperefield! That only made us laugh as just what does an olde world inn do with uneven floor boards? It all made perfect sense to us!

One huge tip for the autumn shooting season is to ask Gary about purchasing local game. We left with a bag of rabbit, partridge, pheasant, duck and pigeon all purchased locally through his contacts and at a very very reasonable price. I now have enough game in my freezer to last till the spring. It all came beautifully butchered and vacuum packed - but unfortunately not labelled. I've managed to sort out everything except the difference between pheasant and partridge breasts - any tips anyone?.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnneOEastMidlands
Cheshire
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We have stayed for a two night stay at the Inn, we had a wonderful time, the front of house staff Gary and Sarah were welcoming, friendly and very helpful as were the other staff members. The food was high quality and cooked beautiful by both chefs, we ate there both nights and would recommend anyone try any of the menu's. Ludlow is only a few miles down the road, very pretty place to visit and enjoy the beautiful buildings etc ...

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Just back from a 2 night stay through Groupon and all I can say is that we had a great time. The Crown is idealy palced for exploring the area, on the way there we'd spent the day in the beautiful market town of Ludlow with it's 3 Grade 1 listed buildings, the Castle St Laurence's church and The Feathers Hotel. On arriving at The Crown we were given a warm welcome and given the keys to Room 16 which is in the main building and a quick guide of the bar and eating areas. There is a massive fireplace in the bar with a roaring fire. The Crown is a regular meeting place for local shoots and on our first night there were several beaters and hunters in the bar who were partaking of a "few" well earned drinks, although loud they were very friendly and amusing. Our room was very spacious and the en-suite well appointed and spotlessly clean with big white fluffly towels and the usual shampoo etc.and a massive very, very comfortable bed with a dreamily soft light duvet. This is the second place where we have stayed recently and have been warned about the VERY HOT water, it makes a change from waiting for the plumbing to finally dispense hot water. The food in the Rent Room was excellent and very reasonably priced, our only criticism is that they are far too generous with the veg, it was a shame as we only managed about a quarter of the dish. On the fifrst night we shared a starter of whitebait, the I had fillet of seabass,cooked to perfection, Phil had shank of lamb that was so tender it could have been eaten with a spoon. We couldn't manage a sweet. Breakfast has a limited hot choice but again excellent. On our second day were visited the Ironbridge area including Blists Hill Victorian Village as we had seen on the BBC 2 programmes. For our last nights meal I chose the mushrooms with grilled goats cheese, almost a meal in it's self, followed by partridge, so much meat from such a small bird. Phil again went for the whitebait followed by one of the best ribeye steaks he's eaten, served with the usual accompaniments. All the staff were young and so friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them, which makes a very pleasant change. If you decide to stay there look past the odd thing, such as one of the drawers in the wardrobe had come off it's runners and there is no hairdryer and some of the carpets need cleaning/replacing. The place is is the process of being refurbished while staying open,but all this we know takes time and as this is still very much of a local and we would not hesitate in staying there again.

Room Tip: Room 16 was at the end of the building and nice and quiet.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleobury Mortimer
The Elms
The Elms
#1 of 1 in Abberley
Travelodge Ludlow Hotel

Been to The Crown At Hopton? Share your experiences!