“Discraceful”
Review of Old Court Hotel

Old Court Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Witney
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is revolting. I think the owner of this hotel is driven by self interest. I come to this conclusion because any decent business person would be ashamed taking decent money of people for these rooms. Damp, dirty, smelly, dropping to bits. Dogs wondering around the courtyard weeing everywhere and also wondering into the restaurant only to be half heartedly shoo-ed out. Breakfast only served between 8.30 and 9.30 which in itself show's poor customer service. Do not stay here! When you can get a Premier Inn of £50 these days it amazes me that a place like this would still survive.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Amy S
There are newer reviews for Old Court Hotel

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I'm writing this review FROM the hotel. In short, it's brilliant. Great value for money, wonderful rooms, and the best customer service I've experienced in a very long while. I can't recommend this place enough, and I wont stay anywhere else. The owners/managers are simply wonderful and if you stay somewhere else you'll be dissapointed.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

This hotel is in an appalling state and frankly the owner ought to be ashamed to allow guests to stay in it. The shower room was tiny and very cold, with a noisy toilet (complete with ill-fitting toilet seat that insists on resting on your back while you do your business). The rest of the room was also cold- no surprise really considering the apparantly authentic 16th century window panes (I'm all for rustic features but I think the shattered glass and mouldy frames take things a bit far). The tasteless artwork hanging from the dillapidated walls rounded off the shocking experience nicely. If you were hoping a nice cup of tea might make the whole ordeal slightly more tolerable then you would be sadly disappointed as I found it quite undrinkable and I'm not usually fussy when it comes to tea! I have stayed in many B&Bs over the past year and know what to expect for £75 a night. This experience was truly shocking.
Also, the owner is far too arrogant to be in the business, and while pleasant enough while the stay goes smoothly, any complaints (which there undoubtedly will be) will be received with a highly defensive and offensive attitude. This man is deluded as he truly believes he has got it right. Shame really- The building is charming but sadly neglected by its tight-fisted, arrogant owner.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Steph B
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Room ok. Quirky but clean.
Breakfast inedible.
No staff around who knew where anything was or how to cook breakfast.
Worst value for money I've spent in a hotel.
Thank God it was only one night.
Never again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank maz62
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We held our family party last weekend at the hotel. 12 of us altogether around one large table. We had a really excellent experience, the dinner was superb, Thai cuisine, and the breakfast was splendid.
I cannot imagine a better 50th Party!!
My wife and I had stayed there before in the room with the amazing bathroom and chose it for our party because of the quality of the Thai cooking.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here this week with a group of colleagues on business. The welcome and treatment we received has been exemplary. Having stayed in numerous hotels in the area this is by far my favourite.

The owner could not do enough for us and tried to make us feel relaxed, welcome and special. I think previous reviews are very harsh in my opinion.

The public areas are cozy and relaxing. The food has been brilliant and well priced against the quality (and quantity) received. There are two resident dogs who are friendly and quite like a little fuss. It is a dog friendly hotel.

In the owners admission some of the bedrooms are a little tired but they are more than comfortable and very, very clean.

Parking is a little tight at times, but if you speak with the owner he can advise very close alternatives if needs be.

The only problem with the location is that the car park entrance is onto a mini-roundabout. The staff were more than happy to stop the traffic to allow you out!

As a group and personally, we were very happy and would highly recommend staying here. An enjoyable week despite having to work!

Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

I have just returned from my one night stay in Witney. My brother was having an engagement party and so my family booked 3 rooms separately through laterooms.
My poor sister didn't get her room, it wasn't the fault of laterooms but a mistake by the hotel. She was upset but it actually turned out that she got a lovely room else where for much less.
On arrival it took me about ten minutes to park, I had to fit into a tiny space and most guests staying there were having to block each other in.
Next I went to my room to find that I couldn't shut the door. I couldn't shut it when inside or lock it from outside. I called one of the staff who fiddled with the lock for a while and then said she would get it fixed later. I explained I had to go to a party and needed it fixed straight away so that I could go out.
Ten minutes later a really friendly man came and fixed the door.
The room itself was not worth paying £85 to stay in. The walls were peeling, the bathroom was mouldy and rusty and the furniture was falling apart. This hotel needs some money spending on it.
In the morning breakfast is only available for one hour between 8.30 and 9.30. I didn't make it. However I was awake from 7am as I could hear all of the noises coming from other rooms and the kitchen.
In short, go elsewhere and don't stay here.

2  Thank wonderwend
Also consider these accommodations in or near Witney
Oxford Witney Hotel
The Blue Boar Hotel
The Blue Boar Hotel
#6 of 7 in Witney
Travelodge Oxford Peartree Hotel

Been to Old Court Hotel? Share your experiences!