“Top class service”
Review of The Fleece

The Fleece
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Witney
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This was our first trip to Witney. We booked at the last minute, wanting a cosy night away and a good meal to cheer us up for midwinter
Despite it being a busy weekend at The Fleece, we had excellent service, with any minor problems being rectified in a friendly and efficient manner.
It was a cold weekend our room was a bit cold, but as soon as we mentioned this, a portable heater was installed and the room was nice and cosy by bedtime.
Our meal in the restaurant was good, chosen from an extensive and imaginative menu. I chose one of the recommended wines, Cotes du Rhone Village, perfect!
The following morning, my partner mentioned that there was a rather noisy party in the function room beneath us and without hesitation, we had a full explanation, apology, and a complimentary
Breakfast!
Well done, team, we intend to return.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I visited the Fleece today after around five years of not visiting.... We used to live in Witney and use the Fleece now and again... Back then it was the stand out eatery in Witney and I recall top notch food served by warm, friendly and knowledgable staff...

Today was somewhat different but not awful by any means... We dropped in for a spot of lunch and took a seat in the bar: an efficient waitress took the order and brought us out drinks. We subsequently ordered a fish pie and a soup with a cheese and ham toastie.

The food arrived within 15 minutes and was presented well. My fish pie was a real let down I'm afraid. The garnish of Kale and sautéed shallots and peas was great but the fish pie was bland. The mash was 40% of the dish and overworked and under seasoned. The pie was cooked in a light bechamel sauce but the prawns were ruined by virtue of the fact they were over cooked and still had pieces of shell in them!

The dish was just not great I'm afraid.

My wife said the potato and leek soup was good but the cheese and ham toastie had no cheese... Literally none... Clearly an oversight. It was tasteless and she left half of it.

We were never asked if our food was good which would have resolved our concerns so we ate what we could and I paid.

I did tell the waitress at the bar when I paid that there was no cheese in the toastie and to be fair to her she reduced the price of that dish. Well done to her for recovering but we still left a bit unsatisfied.

The route to the car park was messy with laundry room and bin area open for all to see with garden furniture strewn over the car park.

I should say that this is still a well presented pub with better standards than many places locally but I must be honest this is not what it was and of it were my first visit or indeed if I were staying or visiting locally I would not visit.

I hope the feedback assists in improving the food and ambience

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We held a small family lunch party at The Fleece, in their private room at the back of the hotel. We were very well looked after by Becs, Andy and the team and the chef produced an amazing Italian board to start in response to my request for Italian with a contemporary twist. Many thanks to all.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We visited last year, friends had been and liked it. We went early evening. A three generation meal, unfortunately it coincided with there team 'chat'. Couldn't get attention to place order, took ages for drinks, needed to return meal - replacement not fresh. Will not be returning!

Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We travelled 50 miles to have lunch at The Fleece as it had always been a memorable meal in the past. Today, however, the food was only average and the prices were high. The 'haddock smokie' was covered in sauce with no mention of sauce on the menu and my husbands pie was served on a flat board enabling the gravy to pour inti his lap! A member of staff, having her break on a nearby table, was using her iPad mini for a Skype call and was joined in this by other members of staff, laughing and dancing around. All very disturbing when you are paying top prices for an OK meal.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
nick s, General Manager at The Fleece, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Good afternoon. Thank you for your feedback. It is a pleasure to know that we have people who travel so far to see us but I am incredibly disappointed that on this occasion it has been memorable for all the wrong reasons. As you have been before you are aware of our normal standards and I must assure you that this is not a slip in standards but an isolated incident. The Smokie is a recipe that has been develped by one of our senior chefs and im sorry that it was not clearly described on the menu. If you do ever have any questions about any of our dishes we do full tasting sessions with the team and any of them would be more than happy to recommend or describe any dishes for you. Presumably it was the Pork Pie that your husband had and it should not have been served this way I can only apologise for this. It is very important for us to accept any kind of feedback and it can only be used to strengthen our offer and ensure that we do not make mistakes like this again. The team members disturbing your meal with skype antics was inappropriate and has been dealt with. Your experience should be an enjoyable one and anything that would jeapordise this is top priority for us, so I thank you for contacting us. We would love to see you again and I understand that to come such a long way it takes trust in the destination and I don't want to lose that trust. I would like to talk to you to discuss a return visit and regain your trust in The Fleece.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Visited in December for an evening meal.

Good points: Nice décor and atmosphere. Very good friendly customer service.

Bad points: Over priced for the portion sizes. Average food.

I had the chicken Caesar salad, which was tiny for £12.50! Hardly any chicken and pretty tasteless. My partner had the beef roast, also a small portion but was tasty.

Undecided if we'd return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Overall a lovely stay, the staff could not have been more friendly and the service (other than a mishap at dinner, which was dealt with very well) was good. Our room (annexe family room) was large, and although slightly worn in areas, very comfortable. Only suggestion would be to put down laminate floor in the seating area, as was impossible not to get the cream carpet muddy, especially as weather was so terrible. Lots of room for our dog, who was also made very welcome in the bar. The tables are nicely spaced out, nice menu, good wine list. We will definately be back, mainly for the location and the friendly helpful staff.

Room Tip: Annexe family room great for dog owners.