“The Fleece”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Witney
South East
“The Fleece”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here recently for one night only, great setting overlooking the green and old village. Room itself was great, but the bathroom was somewhat tired and shabby, grout missing and bare unpainted plaster etc ... it was also cold as the radiator did not work. Didn't eat at the Fleece though most people we spoke to about the food rated it highly. Breakfast was fine but barely warm, poached eggs hard and very fatty bacon, I would not have been happy to have paid the public price of £9-00 pp for a breakfast. Overall it was a nice place to stay though, and I would return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Surrey-guy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Each time we've been to The Fleece to eat we have had delcious food, whether for dinner, lunch or morning coffee and snack. The staff are friendly and the service has always been excellent - and it has been very clean! I would say however, that the ladies toilets could do with a bit more light and perhaps a new toilet seat - it looked as though paint had dripped onto it!
I would not hesitate to recommend The Fleece.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Londoner1982
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for one night with our dog on Friday 2nd November. On arrival, the manager showed us to our room which was spacious and well presented (a family room apparently, but we had only booked a double), and we were also given a water bowl for the dog which was a nice touch. We ate lunch and dinner in the Fleece ....... well cooked, fresh and a nice atmosphere in general in the pub. I had the Sea Bass for main at dinner which was cooked beautifully and my boyfriend had the Gammon which he was equally impressed with. The waiting staff were friendly and attentive enough, but didnt rush us even though it was busy. We had a slight issue getting back into our room after dinner, but this was dealt with promptly by the staff and didnt hinder our stay at all.
Location of the Fleece is ideal. Overlooking a green, it is a 2 minute walk from the town centre's shops, bars/ pubs, restaurants, Waitrose and weekend market......peaceful, yet close enough to everything you need.
All in all, The Fleece is good value for money, great location and has friendly staff. We would certainly stay again if we return to Witney.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Londoner1982
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

What a joy to be welcomed by smiling Staff into a warm, welcoming, comfortable
Bar/Sitting/ Dining area, buzzing both with locals and visitors.
Super Fish Platter for Lunch and great Breakfasts. The Location is highly convenient, within easy walking distance of the Town Centre and it's really surprising selection of excellent shops. It puts many a City to shame. The Church on Church Green is well worth a visit and it is pleasant to walk around the area. We stayed for a Wedding at Bampton Church (also worth a visit) - Downton Abbey street and Church scenes were shot here -. Reception was at Caswell House, excellent.
Witney was a super centre from which to operate.

Unfortunately our room was in the Annexe, to be avoided if at all possible.
Dinner was not up to the standard of Breakfast but - I have high expectations. !

Room Tip: Avoid staying in the Annexe.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alison M
Witney
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Living in Witney, the Fleece has been our 'go to' pub for food when wishing to eat out locally - particularly with friends and family from outside the area because we have always been confident that the food and service would be good.
We visited on Saturday 20th Oct with friends and the food and overall experience were very disappointing-pretty much unenjoyable. Two out of the four starters were cold, did not want to make a fuss and did not send these back. But when the rump steak arrived it was dead cold, you can't eat that ... we sent this back and did not have the confidence to order a substitute despite the offer - the rest of our party would have finished by the time a replacement would have arrived in any case.
From what we could see, the restaurant was over- full ... the kitchen could not keep up and the quality of the food suffered. Our waiter did his best to provide good service, taking the steak off the bill and offering a dessert as recompense. But this does not fill us with confidence that we should return to The Fleece with guests in the future and may take our business to one of the other establishments in town.
As we receive several marketing emails from the Fleece I took the time the following day to write my first email back to them to provide constructive feedback on our experience ... I have not had a reply and this only serves to confirm for me that The Fleece is resting on its laurels ....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
nick s, General Manager at The Fleece, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Hi there. Can I thank you first for taking the time to leave us your feedback. This is truly essential when trying to create the best place in town. I think I remember your party. (table of 4 near the bar? Haddock Croquettes to start?) Anyway, I was incredibly disappointed that you had temperature problems with your food. It is not normally the sort of issue that we have to deal with at The Fleece but admittedly we were at fault and I am sorry that we did not live up to the normal high standards that you are used to. I did not recieve your email but I can only assume that it was because you may have replied to the marketing email which is sent out on my behalf via an alternative server. Perhaps you could forward it to me directly so that I can act appropriately on any further information regarding your meal with us. I sincerely hope this has not deterred you from visiting us again, I can assure you that it was a one off and not a mistake that I am prepared to endure again! Thanks again for your feedback. I hope to see you again at The Fleece soon. Kind Regards. Nick
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed October 27, 2012

From the moment we arrived to a warm, friendly greeting, till the moment we left with a warm friendly cheerio, I can't find a single thing to criticise. We stayed for one night last Friday and also had a meal there with friends.

The Fleece is very close to the centre of Witney - just a couple of minutes walk away from all the shops, overlooking The Green

We parked our car in the carpark at the back of the pub, where there were ample free spaces.

Our room was spacious, overlooking the town green, above the main entrance to the bar. Our bathroom was also very spacious, with bath and 2 showers - one overhead and one fixed to the taps. There was a huge full length mirror on the bathroom door. Wi fi was free, but I couldn't access it in our room (5) although I had no trouble as soon as I went down into the bar or restaurant. We had a comfy night's sleep, undisturbed by street noise until morning.

Food at both our evening meal and at breakfast was very good and the service, although rather slow, was otherwise very efficient. The restaurant was buzzing with atmosphere and fun. The young waitng staff, without exception were friendly and helpful and what struck me most, was they all seemed to be enjoying their jobs. Having said I can't fault the place, there is one thing I now recall and that is that the restaurant was extremely stuffy and hot and despite us using fans for much of the evening, no-one reacted until we eventually asked for some fresh air and instantly a window was opened and at last we felt comfortable. I wish I had asked sooner!

The best thing about the Fleece must surely be the lovely staff, who all seem to genuinely want to please you, without being in your face or pushy at all. Nothing is too much trouble for them; they do the place proud!

We won't hesitate to stay here again should the occasion arise.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed at The Fleece for one night to celebrate my birthday. We couldn't have picked a better place. Our room was above the pub, but we did not hear any noise what so ever from down stairs. The room was spacious, clean, nicely decorated and lovely. Bed was comfy, bath was really nice and the tray with coffe/tea/water etc. was appreciated.
We also stayed for dinner, and was not disappointed. The pub has such a lovely atmosphere which immediately makes you relax and feel at home. Just a nice place to hang out for a beer, or a coffee. We both had steak and it was really really good. As a Bearnaise sauce fan, I was in heaven. The staff were so friendly and attentive and made the whole of our stay perfect. Thank you!!

Room Tip: Reading other peoples reviews, I understand you should ask for a room above the pub and not in the a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Witney
Oxford Witney Hotel
#7 of 7 in Witney
Bell Hotel
Bell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Charlbury

Been to The Fleece? Share your experiences!