“Charming village inn needs a bit of TLC”
Review of The Fleece

and 1 more site!
The Fleece
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Witney
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Charming village inn needs a bit of TLC”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed one night only,

This is a charming pub in a delightful Cotswolds village in a great location, with lots of charm.

Plusses: charming and welcoming hosts who allowed us to check into the room 3 hours early; fabulous breakfast (huge serving of eggs Benedict, vast portion of scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, eggs cooked to perfection) very comfortable beds, great power-shower and beautiful big fluffy towel, everything clean.

Minuses: room very dark, and smelled a bit of damp. Furniture (bedside table, wardrobe, dressing table) all scratched/chipped, looking a little tatty and worn; no place in the shower to put shampoo or cosmetics; horribly noisy ventilator fan in the bedroom which took about 10 minutes to cut out after switching off . (Duvet far too heavy for summer use (but that's personal taste)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Peach_Pubs, on behalf of the Manager at The Fleece, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
thank you for your review.
It was great to have you stay with us at the Fleece, and I am glad that you enjoyed Witney. Dan our head chef is happy that you both enjoyed your breakfast, breakfast is so important and can make and break a stay.
It was great to read your review. Trip advisor is a great way of finding out how our guests find our hospitality and then how in turn we can keep working on making it better. The team and I care about what we do and really do want you to have a relaxing time with us. I am sorry that we missed certain attention to detail and so in turn didn’t quite make your stay with us as special as we would have liked. I would love to know more about any other things you noticed. My name is Helen and I am the director for Oxfordshire, It would be great to hear from you. My personal email is Helen.sprason@peachpubs.com.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks
Helen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Oxfordshire
Reviewed August 20, 2012

It had been some time since we had visited The Fleece & when I received an e-mail offering a bottle of house wine if we booked we decided to go there on my Birthday, being yesterday the19th.
We were greeted by Alice, a lovely girl who was the one redeeming feature of the evening. We had booked for 7pm & bearing in mind that they serve food up to 10pm, many of the dishes on their menu were no longer available! I opted for the Roast Leg of Pork with roast pots, yorkshire pud & veg. The pud was burnt around the edges & the potatoes had clearly been reheated as they had none of the crispness of a roast potato that had been cooked in this "special beef dripping" as quoted by Alice. I didn't bother to say anything as both my husband and daughter had their meals & by the time I had ordered something else they would have eaten their's, plus it was my Birthday so I just wanted a pleasant evening! The Pork was fine as were the veg & the extra side order of Cauliflower cheese. My daughters Caesar Salad was fine as the Fish Cake my husband had ordered.
After our main my husband and I ordered a Cheeseboard for 2 which the menu stated would contain 5 cheeses. On arrival there were only 4, which we pointed out to Alice & she very quickly went back to the kitchen to investigate. She came back to say we were missing the Brie and they had none left! The kitchen clearly had not informed her of this in the first place, were they hoping we just wouldn't notice?? Whilst we were waiting to find out what had happened to the "other cheese" we looked at the cheeseboard and found it difficult to justify the £11.50 charge. It contained 8 thin crackers, a small dish of what tasted like pureed branston pickle & 3 thin slices of different cheese & a sugar cube size of another. When Alice returned to inform us about the Brie we decided that we did not want the Cheeseboard as it was overpriced for what it was. She did try to explain that as they were "artisan cheeses" they had been "measured" and this was the correct portion size. We still declined! To her credit she offered to get more cheese but by this time we had gone off the idea of a cheeseboard. Alice then offered us a drink on the house as way of an apology for our disappointment. Meanwhile our daughter had been tucking into the Strawberry Sunday Sundae, very much like a Knickerbocker Glory & as there was so much of it we offered to help her finish it off. At the bottom of the glass there were chopped strawberries & both my husband & daughter said they tasted funny. On tasting I immediately identified the taste of onion! My only explanation for this was that whoever was prepping the strawberries had chopped them using a knife or chopping board that had been used for onions, or both! We didn't bother informing Alice of this as quite frankly, by this time, I had had enough! And as Alice was such a lovely girl I really didn't have the heart to complain about the dessert!
We have had many lovely meals in The fleece over the years but this was a very disappointing evening. Alice was a delight, efficient service, smiled and chatted & tried to make amends for the cheeseboard, so this is no reflection on her. When you consider how many restaurants there are now in Witney such as The Blue Boar, The Hollybush & The Horseshoes based on our experience last night The Fleece need to improve. Sadly we will think twice before returning and will instead visit one of the other establishments where we have yet to have a bad experience. Very sad.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nickypooh
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My son and I had lunch at the Fleece to celebrate examination success .

The lunchtime menu and specials were very good and there was lots of opportunity to try something new . We opted for traditional bistro food : platter to share plus a couple if main courses .
The food and service was excellent and having the bubbly half price was a nice bonus !
Ambiance and well informed service made thus lunch really special .

• Stayed August 2012
Peach_Pubs, on behalf of the Manager at The Fleece, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for your review from your lunch with us last week. We would just like to say congratulations on the exam success, and we are glad that we were able to make your day special.
Hope to see you all again and enjoy the rest of your summer.
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed at The Fleece in Witney on a Saturday night in July 2012. This is a nice pub/restaurant with a few rooms upstairs. I think they also have a few ground floor rooms in an annexe at the back, next to the car park. The pub is located along side a large ‘village green’ which is nice to walk around after dinner or after breakfast. We stayed in Room 9 which was quiet, comfortable with plenty of room. Check-in was quick and easy and the staff were friendly and welcoming. We were shown to our room as the passageways are rather higgledy piggeldy and you need to be shown the way to your room the first time. Our room had TV, tea/coffee making facilities plus a couple of bottles of mineral water. The bathroom was rather plain but adequate. There was a heated towel rail, a full length mirror and a few complimentary toiletries. I did not see a hairdryer in the room but I expect one would have been provided if I had asked.
The restaurant downstairs was busy and vibrant. There was a good menu and the food was very good, although I thought a bit expensive for a pub. Service was very good and the staff were friendly and attentive.
There is free car parking at the back of the hotel.

oxford
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Nice hotel and good food, just be careful as one walks in though the front entrance as a small child will be playing with toys as the parents look away,chating expecting the staff to "lookafter" it..
The bar and menu is very good with lots of choice, one can order at the bar but as before a small child will be climbing along the bar stools once gain as the parents look away and the bar staff asking it to get down.
Once sitted, avoiding the pushchairs, one can enjoy a meal, watched by a small child, if not watched, the child will be playing hide an seek with the childern,running about..
Fab if you have small childern, because its like a playgound,and a nappy changing area,,,
Not so good for people who dont want to listern to kids high pitch screaming as one eats,,,, never again.Shame as the coffee is very nice.

1 Thank merlinOxford
Peach_Pubs, On behalf of the Manager at The Fleece, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
We really do want all of our guests to have a relaxing time. I am sorry that on this occasion it was not quite as serene as maybe it should have been.
It is important to us that we are friendly to everyone of all ages and try to make everyone’s experience with us a good one. I hope that you do come and see us again and that you can have a relaxing coffee with us.
London W8
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Booked v last minute, arrived late (fire on M40). Young front-of-house chap checked us in v welcoming - the bar and dining area was v busy with a special Olympics evening going on so really buzzing atmosphere. Another couple arrived just behind us to check in but he told them that he would show us to our room first (tick). Lovely room, spacious, relaxing, fabulously comfortable bed. We checked what time they finished serving (10pm - quite late for the area which great) and went for a drink nearby - and got caught up in the Olympics opening ceremony so didn't get back to the Fleece until 10.30pm - and they kindly provided us with late platters, no problem. The next day, a great breakfast (know this sounds weird but my partner said the best sausage ever (Denshams)) and breakfast available until 11am checkout time which I've not across before. All the staff are quite young but we agreed that they were superbly positive - not something you can say about a lot of young staff today. And I haven't mentioned the superb location on Church Green. All I can say is THANKS! We will return (if we can get in - I've tried to book the Fleece several times but they're always full - no surprise there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing us. It is great to hear that you had a super time. The team work hard to deliver to our guests and so is really super to show them that you have enjoyed your time here. We can always improve however and so this is very important for us to know how we are doing. Thank you again and we hope to see you back again soon.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I had to attend a meeting nearby and The Fleece was recommended by a friend. What a great choice.

Witney isn't a particularly attractive town but this establishment has a very pleasant location right on the green.

The staff and service were excellent and the pub restaurant's menu was pretty extensive; the food was of a very high standard. Slightly pricey but not enough to complain about.

Not so sure if it would work as a destination for families, perhaps more of venue for grown-ups but then I was there mid-week and didn't see any children.

Had I known more about it I would have combined my meeting with a weekend stay. I'll go back there without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Witney
Oxford Witney Hotel
#7 of 7 in Witney
The Maytime Inn
The Maytime Inn
#1 of 8 in Burford

Been to The Fleece? Share your experiences!