“Such a refreshing change”

Meze Lounge and restaurant
Ranked #3 of 105 Restaurants in Witney
Cuisines: Greek, Turkish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

This is now the third time we have been, it just keeps getting better. Lamb kleftico, simply the best lamb dish I've had. Wife had grilled chicken kebab, she really loved it. Yes the rice Is microwaved but there is no way you can cook lamb that tender in a microwave, if you've been once and had a bad experience I would urge you to give them another go, the improvement we have seen since our first visit just gets better. Ps stop putting aerosol cream on the deserts, they don't need them, tiramisu is Devine without it, and Turkish coffee should be law to drink its fantastic

1  Thank Kurtwinship123

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was extremely disappointed with my experience at the Meze lounge in Witney. Initially I was excited to see a new restaurant open up and I was keen to experience the Greek and Turkish food. Perhaps we went at the wrong time of day but the continuous sound of the 'beep' of microwaves was somewhat disconcerting. Not only that, but I could SEE four microwaves through the door into the kitchen... The food was awful and the meze platter was very sparse (50% of what is shown in the photo) and everything tasted like it had been microwaved, which it clearly had. It is such a shame that the food wasn't cooked authentically as it could be a great place.

5  Thank Sarah R
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had a lovely meal here last night. We booked on Friday night and a good job we did as the restaurant was full when we arrived at 8pm. The large doors that open onto the street are lovely and it gives a great opportunity for a bit of people watching! We had the hot mixed meze, these were good and although I don't like prawns (this was one of the mezes), my husband loves them so we were perfectly happy. He had lamb fillets as a main and I had a mixed shish. The presentation was good and I was pleased to see that my portion wasn't enormous. I don't go in for large portions as I want to have a pudding as well! There was certainly plenty of lamb fillets on my husbands plate so he was happy. The good news was that we had room for pud, we had tiramisu and baklava both of which were excellent, in particular the tiramisu is to be recommended as it was beautifully light.

This is a new restaurant in Whitney and I'm sure it will take them a while to settle in. Personally I think the prices are in the high side and this might be something that the owners want to review, we had three courses, coffee and a bottle of house red which totalled £65.Not horrific, but more than I'd expect to pay. The service is more homely than professional, but if you've eaten in Turkey then this is par for the course over there and we like to be able to chat to the staff. It's nice being served by the owners as there is s real family feel. The owners were great and we were made to feel at home so will certainly be returning.

2  Thank furryjen78
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Popped in for the first time on Saturday evening, didn't book and it was sunny, so was I initially surprised that there were plenty of tables free.
Various starters were available for between £4.25/£5.50, so thought that the meat mixed sharer for two "seemed" good value at £11.95. It said chefs choice of 6 types. We didn't like the look of all of the choices listed in the hot meat meze section, so we asked the waitress if we could specify which ones we wanted - we were told NO. She pointed out that they would be any from the list... and pointed to various meat items. We decided to go ahead. When it arrived we thought the portion sizes were smaller than expected, we also realised that one of the items was seafood (which my dining partner has a severe allergy to). We immediately brought this to the waiters attention, and it was removed from the table.... we continued to eat - hoping that a substitute would be brought, but there was no inquiry or offer from the staff.
I decided that I would discretely discuss the issue with the waitress when we paid the bill, so I approached her at the till - back of house. I informed her that we were not happy about the seafood and were not expecting it in a meat meze. She immediately got defensive and said it was lower down the menu page (it was in a totally separate paragraph). I pointed out that this was not clear and had not been brought to our attention - to which she answered we should have told her we didn't want seafood. I asked if I could pay for the items we had eaten, she said we had to pay the full amount as it was our mistake.
So if you do go there to eat, don't expect to get what you think you've ordered.... plus don't expect any effort to ensure you are satisfied and would want to return.

5  Thank JuGr2013
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Visited Meze lounge for my son's birthday. Cannot fault the food, service or atmosphere. The shared hot meze platter was well cooked and served hot. My son's meatball starter was in his words the "best" . We followed with two different lamb dishes and a chicken burrito all of which where excellent and beautifully presented. The lamb melting in your mouth. To finish, the best baklava I have tasted. An elegant layout to the restaurant with a lovely wide window which opened out onto the street. Shut your eyes and you could be on holiday in Greece, Cyprus or Turkey. This place is only just beaten by my favourite restaurant on Rhodes! Will certainly be returning - this restaurant is just what Witney needs.

1  Thank kat89