“Great Location”

The Blue Boar Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Witney
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed at the weekend Saturday night. Hotel is in a great location in the center of Witney. Witney is great plenty to see and do. The hotel is nice rooms ok but they are built round a courtyard that has customers drinking in the courtyard so on a warm night some rooms are a couple of yards awayso you could be disturebed, Also while we were there there was a DJ playing .he was great and we had a good night. Drinks at the bar are very expensive nearly £9 for a pint and g&t, staff are helpful breakfast fantastic with waiter service. We paid £120 fot bb just a little to much. A downer no parking had to move car twice. for what you pay the hotel should provide parking.

Room Tip: Definatly away from court yard
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
OISite, General Manager at The Blue Boar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2017

We understand that this is a particularly historic review, but we thought that we would mention that The Blue Boar underwent another refurb which completed in March this year and, amongst other things, included the addition of air-conditioning to all rooms, improvements to the soundproofing and free wi-fi throughout the venue.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

This place is a great restaurant, the decor is great with a good selection of tables including booths. Service very attentive and the place was full which may explain the lack of friendliness. However the food is very good, all four of our dishes were different and all perfect. The chef is to be complemented as it's as good as restaurants three times more expensive.
BUT..... why does this place not have a door to close out the hideous loud music being played in the bar?? In fact close the bar and increase the restaurant size because it is a better at being a restaurant than a bar.
I will go back, but most likely not on a Saturday when there is a dodgy 'live' sound system present.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My partner and I went in ther just to celebrate his birthday and get in from out of the cold. We order our drinks 1 pint and 1 hot drink, the bar man said to find a seat and he would bring the drinks over.
We sat at a table which had dirty glasses on already, so I moved them to one side of the table thinking that a person would come and move them but didn't.
We waited 15 mins just for our drinks, the pint was not a full pint and my hot chocolate I had to mix, as all the chocolate was at the bottom of the glass and the milk was separated. Not impressed

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Jayne030
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I held my birthday dinner at the Blue Boar in October 2012 and had a great time, several friends also complimented the staff about how friendly and helpful they were. I had a slightly shaky start with the organisation of the party due to a particular member of staff, however they soon left and things improved . The team were very helpful in making suggestions, helping with the planning and they were very patient with my visits to check out the venue. On the evening all stops were pulled out and nothing was too much effort, we partied until the early hours and again we were not made to feel we had over stayed!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michaelfox28
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed for one night in September and the hotel looked as though money had been spent on refurbishing it to a very good standard. Food was excellent and the service was very good from all staff.
The rooms are nicely decorated and quite modern with very comfortable beds. there were a couple of issues. the heating did not work in my room and asked reception to sort this out. I did get a call saying they had put the boiler on but it would take a while for it to come through. I returned to my room at 11.30 and it was still cold and no heating!!!. The remote for the TV was missing and again I had to get one from reception and also the toilet seat was very loose. The rooms are not cheap and you would not expect these issues from a £100 per night hotel. Please be ware there is nor car park with this hotel but you can park in the square for free from 6pm-8am.
It would not stop me staying there again but I would check what else was available locally.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stopped by here for lunch with the intention of booking in had our plans not changed. I can only describe the experience truthfully by saying superb.
Staff, food, atmosphere, service and VALUE!!
Will definitely return

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 24, 2012

After being let down in a truly shameful manner by the Old Court Inn (read my previous review for more information) I was booked into the Blue Boar, Witney at very short notice.

I was met by James (Asst. Mgr) who could not do enough for me. Although he had finished his shift, he went out of his way to advise on best parking and then booked me in and took me to my room with minimum fuss.

He apologised and said that the room was one of the smallest but to be honest, the £90 paid was by far and away excellent value. A comfy bed, brilliant bathroom with amazing shower and a Plasma TV.....what more could you need?!!

Breakfast in the morning again was excellent and unrushed in a vibrant dining room.

The Hotel is located bang in the middle of Witney and I will definitely be staying again along with recommending to friends and work colleagues alike.

James - thanks so much for all your help (if you get to read this) - out of advsersity comes light and this hotel is certainly one of the best I have stayed in.

Room Tip: I was allocated room 3 and although James said that due to the short notice nature of the booking it...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Also consider these accommodations in or near Witney
Oxford Witney Hotel
7 mi away
Macdonald Bear Hotel
Macdonald Bear Hotel
#2 of 6 in Woodstock

Been to The Blue Boar Hotel? Share your experiences!