“Food needs addressing”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We have been using the Company of Weavers on a regular basis since it opened but have recently been very disappointed with the standard of the food, I am not sure if there has been a change of kitchen staff, management or attitude, but on the last 4 occasions we have visited, the food has been lukewarm/cold and has had to be returned. I appreciate that the food is very good value, but this does not mean that it has to be served lukewarm/cold. The last time we returned it for this reason, the manager apologised and said the kitchen staff have constantly been made aware of this, but it appears they have taken no notice. This is a shame because I am now not keen to return.

1  Thank Jules244

Reviewed November 1, 2012

My mother - who is in a wheelchair, husband and I had lunch there yesterday. Being a cold, rainy day in half term it was very busy but we had just a few minutes wait for our food which was excellent. The waitresses were in fancy dress because it was Halloween and were all very friendly. It is very wheelchair friendly with an electric lift and I can thoroughly recommended it.

1  Thank Norfolkboy
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

This is a lovely pub/restaurant good quality good price could not believe recent feedback sounds like someone was anti mark patchett rather than anti weatherspoons if you are drunk best you leave so other people can enjoy their meal, mark is a very nice barnan and a pleasure to be served by, the low prices does encourage the wrong kind of customer unfortunately

2  Thank bishy59
Reviewed October 7, 2012

made this trip for me the worst i have ever experienced. I got to Witherspoons at 5.15 after meeting a friend straight from work for a bottle of wine and a nice meal. At 6.30 I went to get another bottle of wine at the bar. I had been there for 5 -10 minutes when eventually getting the "professional" barmans eye, Mark Patchett (and I use the word loosely), he told me after I asked for another bottle, having consumed just one glass of wine, that "I think you have had enough already....", bear in mind we didnt actually have a close up conversation, this was from one end of the bar to half way down the other. I returned to my friend who really thought I was making this up. We then both went the to the "manager", Burce Arkwright, again I am using that term loosely to say I was less than happy of being accused of being drunk. He went and spoke to Mark Patchett, and then said, Mark had seen me "swaying" at the bar and decided on that premise I had had too much to drink. I had been there for about 5-10 mins and was shifting the weight on my feet. This was not based on any conversation, it was an observation from clearly a very inexperienced member of staff. The "manager", Burce Arkwright, came back after talking to Mark Patchett, and instead of saying "sorry a mistake has clearly been made" said " I can clearly see you are not drunk, but I have to back up my team member" .....Mark clearly needs training on how to spot a drunk in a pub, it shouldn't be that hard, I have seen many of them falling out of the Weavers and still being served. Bruce clearly needs training in how to be a manager, as one of the things they are paid to do is to correct mistakes. The young girl behind the bar, as well as the women sat next to us also knew neither of us were in the slightest bit tipsy let alone drunk. This is now the last place in Witney I would go for a drink. We left the pub soon after and went to a lovely place called the Hollybush in Corn Street, where the food is excellent and the staff are brilliant. We were served there very happily for the rest of the evening.

7  Thank deborah a
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I visited Wetherspoons Witney on Friday 5th October for the 3rd (and last) time.

I met a friend straight from work at 5 p.m., we arrived at Wetherspoons Witney at roughly 5.15pm. We ordered food (which was actually quite nice) and had 1 bottle of wine between us - our first drink of the evening. At 6.30pm my friend went to the bar to order a second bottle of wine. She was told that she was "swaying" at the bar (to be fair - she had waited for a good 10 minutes to be served, and was getting quite bored - probably shifted from one foot to the other), and had had too much to drink - the barman - Mark Patchett refused to serve her. She came back to our table and told me this (I did laugh at first - thought she was joking), at which point we both went back to the bar, and asked to speak to the manager (Bruce Arkwright). He agreed that my friend was definitely not drunk (as did another young lady who was serving someone else at the time), and went to speak to the barman who had refused to serve her. We did not hear this conversation, but the "manager" Bruce Arkwright came back and said "I do apologise - I can see you and your friend are clearly not drunk, but I cannot serve you as I have to back up my staff". In my opinion, a "manager" is there to manage - and if his staff have clearly made a wrong decision should be there to put it right. My friend and I were completely humiliated and left the Weavers after asking for the names of the manager and the barman who had refused to serve us. Neither of us were remotely drunk or disorderly, and the way the "manager" Bruce Arkwright and barman Mark Patchett treated us was atrocious. The staff in this pub clearly need training in the art of recognising a drunk! My friend and I have lived in Witney for over 20 years, and in that time have never been refused service in any other bar. After we left the Weavers we went to another bar in Corn Street - The Hollybush and were served very cheerfully by the staff there for the rest of the evening.

9  Thank seac01