“What a find!”

Description: Traditional English pub
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“What a find!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

On a cold wet Monday ...so glad to have found this lively restaurant in the heart of Witney. We didn't want a lot so a RoseSpritzer, a Pinot Grigio and a sharing plate if Nachos smothered in Cheese with Salsa and Soured Cream... It was just the ticket. Staff were lovely, chairs comfy, toilets clean..perfect !

• Visited November 2013

Witney, United Kingdom
“Best pub in Witney!”
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I have always enjoyed coming to this pub and it has now become my regular. The pub is the only free house in the town and is run by the Semaine family who have over 20 years experience. They used to run the Butcher's Arms on Corn Street.

There is always a friendly welcome and service is usually prompt and always with a smile. The beers and ales or excellently kept and the food very tasty. The portion are pretty big so it will satisfy the biggest of appetites!

The latest member of staff, Victoria, has been an excellent addition. Confident, friendly and has bags of bar knowledge. Along with the other members of staff, who are also very good, the owners have very good track record of finding superb employees. I would definitely recommend this pub as a place to go if you're visiting Witney.

• Visited November 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all Cost”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Very rude Proprietress treats customers with no appreciation this attitude filters down throughout her staff and especially defines itself in her youngish barman which I suspect is her son. If her establishment was not so well placed in Witney High Street I doubt whether her business would survive. The food is expensive and of low quality I found it difficult to find any meat in my watery chilli con-carne. Do not make the mistake of asking for itemised bill as I did, which they are reluctant to supply, as you run the risk of being humiliated by the Proprietress (as I was) in front of a roomful of dinners being accused of casting aspersions as to their honesty and rude to a member of staff… because I wanted things itemised!

Visited October 2013
6 Thank Clive P
Adelaide
“Lovely”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My 12 year old niece recommended this place for lunch, she lives in Witney & we were visiting from Australia.

We had mid week lunch, we were seated as soon as we arrived, there was a good choice on the menu, the staff were all friendly & polite, our food came quite quick, there was a generous serving & it was very tasty.

The pub had a lovely ambiance & we definitely recommend you trying it.

• Visited October 2013
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“Second visit for us first in garden second inside both times very good”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I and our friends visited the Royal Oak on the afternoon of Saturday 12th October just before 2pm. We were in a queue but were quickly seated in the main bar. My wife and I ordered coffee with cream and our friends ordered hot chocolate. Both served to us promptly and all agreed they were very good.
For food my wife and I and the wife of our friend has the Stilton and Broccoli soup with crusty bread. My friend had the Tuna Melt sandwich a multi wholemeal door step which looked and he said was delicious.
The last time my wife and I were in this facility was about a month or so ago and were seated in the garden as we had our dog. Again we had a great lunch and felt it was good quality and value for money. It does become very busy but well worth it if you have to wait.

• Visited October 2013