“Great wedding reception” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Trout at Tadpole Bridge
Ranked #61 of 104 Restaurants in Witney
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Great wedding reception”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Went to a wedding reception here at the weekend. The food was great and they were really helpful sorting out things that I could eat after having a wisdom tooth out 2 days before. The setting is great on the side of the river.

Swindon, United Kingdom
“Excellent food but menu choice was limiting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

As a party of four we were guests of friends who had been previously and given us a voucher. The premises are lovely and well maintained, the welcome by staff and landlady, friendly and genuinely enthusiastic and heart felt, a welcome change from surly "Saturday" staff begrudging you even turning up and putting them out with "work".

For three of us the food choice was fine however my wife struggled as she is not a great red meat eater and very selective on fish. She had banked on the specials board after going on line to make up her preferences but a number of dishes were not in evidence.and there was no chicken based course at all.

The starter of Mussels from the specials board was delicious, but small by standards of other establishments ( I had 7 mussels, my son 9) The Rack of Lamb was excellent as was my sons. The daughter had the steak & mushroom pie and was well pleased, my wife the Plaice which she felt was rather bland and watery, especially as she had turned down potatoes in favor of a Rocket salad. All the food was beautifully presented.

I passed on dessert, but my son and daughter both enjoyed ice-cream and cheese cake respectively and my wife lapped up the locally sourced cheeseboard selections. A house wine for £17.00 was well appreciated, as well as a round of beers.

All in all a very pleasant and relaxing way to spend a (rare) balmy Spring evening, and reasonable value for money all things considered. I will re-visit for the sake of my wife who really did feel it a bit of an anti-climax, but will check menu options first over the phone as I am sure on another day her selection would be greater.

I would recommend a visit to judge for yourself the food and standards. Food always polarizes opinions be it good or bad. My opinion is one of good!

England
“"Frozen Icecream"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Having dined here several years ago I relished the opportunity to revisit it recently. I was actually a little surprised and not little suspicious at being able to book a table for four on a Friday evening two hours before we dined. However my doubts soon subsided. The staff were very very welcoming, the prices very very reasonable and the food very very good EXCEPT for the crumble desert served with ice cream which unfortunately had been pre-portioned and both the ice cream and the glass it was served with was frozen, a little disappointing. However it didn't detract from the overall experience and I'd thoroughly recommend a visit.

Farnborough, United Kingdom
“An excellent evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We dined at the Trout Inn whilst staying near by, this restaurant was recommended to us. We were not disappointed. The food was excellent, hot, well presented and very tasty. The staff were very friendly and the service throughout the evening excellent. We were made very welcome and would not hesitate in returning.

• Visited February 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Rather a disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We went to the Trout at Tadpole Bridge after finding it had received the Oxfordshire Dining Pub of the Year. All I can say is - maybe they have changed their chef! The food is a real let down. The pub is attractive, the staff friendly, the Landlady charming, all set for a good evening therefore....... then they brought the food. The food arrives hot, well presented and really average. My friend had a steak which was good, but then anywhere should be able to cook a steak. The menu sounds good, and the reality is a dreadful let down. Get a new chef!

• Visited January 2013