“What has happened”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wantage
Oxford
“What has happened”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

This has always been a favour of ours, but on our recent visit, we were not impressed. The bathroom was not at all clean. I don't want to put you off, but it was not pleasant.

Breakfast during the week, finishes at 9 am, and when we arrived we were warned not to come for breakfast before 8.30 because it is full of contractors. We felt is very early and as we arrived for breakfast at 8.30 the waitress shouted out room number out to make us feel guilty that we were late.

Also, paying £70 for a moderate B&B is, we believe over priced. We have stayed in many finer establishments and paid less.

The Bear Hotel, really need to make changes and reconsider the pricing.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

I stayed here for one night whilst on a business trip to the area. The first irksome issue with the Bear is that it has no dedicated parking, which I suppose can be excused as it is in a town centre locale. There is space available in a narrow side street by the hotel and also in the car park of the former, now closed poilice station across the road. I agree with the comments regarding the enthusiasm of the staff, they seemed a bit underwhelmed and disinterested generally. When I arrived in the gloaming of late afternoon, I asked if one was required to book for the evening meal in the restaurant, the girl on reception assured me that I should just turn up without reserving a table. After a couple of hours I left my rather small and dull ground floor room and headed for the restaurant, only to be told it was fully booked and there were no tables left WHAT! The member of staff assured me that the restaurant menu was also available in the bar, so I took a seat at a table swimming in stale beer, which, after bringing me a pint of draught Peroni, the exuberant barman cleaned up with a galvanised bucket and grubby looking cloth. I ordered the seafood linguini which was hot, tasty and plentiful, the beer was crisp and cool. Throughout my time in the bar, across the hotel foyer, I observed the restaurant, which at no point could I see it more than half full, perhaps the young staff were playing some sort of game by trying to keep the number of diners down in order to avoid work? Who knows. Since sitting down in close proximity to a table covered in beer, I couldn't help but notice a callow, hooded youth sitting on one of the upholstered bench seats by an open window looking out into the night time gloom as if waiting for a clandestine delivery. He eventually left, which was the barman's cue to go and close the window, thus shutting out the chilling wind which had made its way around the bar. After another beer I retired to my room to watch a small TV mounted so high on the wall as to give you a stiff neck. Mercifully however, the bed was very comfortable. Following morning ablutions, I headed to the upstairs restaurant for breakfast. A revelation, a veritable feast of locally sourced produce all piping hot and beautifully presented, delivered by a a young nubile local lass. Much banter was being exchanged between female staff and an unshaven, strangely accented fellow at a corner table, this chap I assumed to be either a family member or regular visitor to this quaint old coaching inn. Listening to the risque exchanges, helped pass the time as I munched through my mountain of princely breakfast fayre, bravo! All things considered, my stay at the Bare Hotel was peasant, despite the restaurant thing, freezing cold bar, forearms stuck to the heavily beer soaked table and having to later visit my Isle of Man Chiropractor with TV neck strain. I must admit that I will avoid the extablishmont in future, or until more flavourable reviews begin to appear upon this revered and respected web spike.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Booked two nights with breakfast and stayed in room 31 which is at the rear in the outside apartments. Obviously just refurbished and very nice and very clean with a super shower. A comfortable bed with tea and coffee facilities. Very enjoyable. Breakfast was excellent the full English being superb. The staff were friendly and very helpful.

Room Tip: Don't know what the rooms are like in the main building. Those at the rear are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I'm rather at a loss as to the other reviews here. I always stay at the Bear when I'm business nearby, as it's slap bang in the middle of a nice little town, with plenty of food & drink options on the doorstep. The rooms are clean yet small, staff are friendly, there's a good pub and restaurant, and - very important for me - breakfast is excellent. Ok so the rooms are small and dated compared to an out-of-town chain hotel; but with this much character for £60 a night, who needs that?

Room Tip: I'm not telling you which are the best rooms!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed for one night for an awards ceremony at Williams F1 HQ. Rooms are pretty standard and although fitted with the usual Tea and coffee and TV etc they aren't all that thrilling but then what would you expect from an old coaching house? Does exactly what it says.

The main reason for a 5 star review is the people - in particular the lady who runs it. She was fantastic and even gave us a lift to the event for no charge in her own car. That wins it for me everytime. Service like that is unheard of these days and she deserves 5 stars. Well done!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

Oh dear, I have never had to write a review. A rather expensive hotel for a rural market town £88 for the night inc, breakfast which i didn't stay for! Although the rather small room was clean, the house keeping was ok. There appeared to be a problem with the local taxi companies which didn't help matters. I think they have 'black listed' the Williams center due to customers refusing to pay expensive fairs.This is not the Hotels responsability, however they hid the fact!!!
they made our taxi booking. Finally I felt the the high cost of the hotel was that I was paying for the 'wedges' to hold the fire doors open!!!!!!!!! Good luck anyone, fires do occur but hopefully not during your stay. And the staff were very poorly presented!

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ieverett1

Travelers are raving about these Wantage hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

It’s sometimes difficult to score accommodation as it is dependent on what you want from it. We stayed here for one night and wanted good clean accommodation with a nice breakfast and that is exactly what we got so there you have it. I base my 5 stars on that basis. The hotel was conveniently situated in the centre of the town. £65 for a double room with breakfast is in my book good value so we were happy. I would be hard pushed to find fault inside the hotel. The staff were nice, friendly and helpful. We would defiantly use this place again. The front of the hotel looks onto the main square, its nice in daytime but once you have see it, well you have seen it so go for an inward facing room as the market place in the square seems to attract drunks, and groups of young adults practicing foul language later on, but that is hardly the fault of the hotel. The local police were on the case which was good to see and did provide some free entertainment and reassured us greatly that the town was safe.
If the management read these reviews I would suggest they get the rear entrance sorted as the cobbled surface is dangerous, get better lighting there and stop allowing people to obstruct the rear pathway with their cars. All in all a very good stay at a good price.

Room Tip: Inward facing room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wantage
Star Inn
Premier Inn Oxford South (Didcot) Hotel
Manor Farm Bed and Breakfast
Manor Farm Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 1 in West Challow

Been to Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!