“Convenient location but would not return”
Review of Bear Hotel

Bear Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wantage
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed here for two nights to attend a wedding nearby, but skipped out for the third night after finding a much better place. The receptionist was okay but not helpful when we needed more hangers and a fan for the warm room. We stayed in the back of the hotel as requested for the quiet - but surprise, the large, raucous kitchen with many open windows was across from our room. When we complained fairly late at night, we were told that the restaurant was closing soon. However the clanging cleanup and loud voices went on till much later. The room was small and passable, with a newish bathroom, but the walls are thin and the sounds from neighboring rooms and the hallway are noticeable. The breakfast was fine, nothing special, although the waitress is a trip!

Room Tip: In the back but not across from the kitchen
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Although I've never stayed as a guest in this hotel, I have visited the restaurant many times, and have never been disappointed. The restaurant has now been called simply '26' mainly because there is no room 26 in this hotel!
This eatery is open to the general public, not just the guests. The food is quite simply exquisite. Each course has been freshly prepared and presented in such a professional manner. Every time I've visited here, the restaurant has been full, which in my mind speaks for itself.
The main reason for this superb food is quite simply down to the professionalism of the chefs. The staff where equally efficient. It's so nice to pay a reasonable price and enjoy such wonderful food and with a quite varied menu.
Great value for money.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My wife and I were in Wantage on Saturday lunch time and decided lunch at the Bear was appropriate. They have revamped the facia and outside of the Hotel and its frontage all done in good taste.
We were looking to sit in the bar but as it was rather busy we were shown to the restaurant despite only going for a lunch snack. We ordered coffee which was first class and served with cream which is my favourite dressing for this drink. My wife ordered the doorstep sandwich in brown of the Smoked Bacon and water cress with a side of Fries. I ordered the Spicy Tomato soup with home made bread. Both offerings were delicious and this facility really does have things as they should be in terms of both food and drink. We cannot comment on the rooms at the hotel but if the food is anything to go by no one should be disappointed.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel we ate in the restaurant at lunchtime a very pleasing experience.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2013

the hotel its self is ok, rooms clean & well serviced, breakfast acceptable, bar shuts at 11:00 even if your a resident not much good when you've been working late, parking is a problem best bet is pay and display to the rear of hotel, would not want to stay for long period.

Room Tip: depends on needs
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank wayne r
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The gas was broken so the restaurant wasn't open and no where else in town was open. the pipes were hot all night because of the broken gas pipe, only one window would open (only partly) and they didn't have enough fans to go around so I didn't have any sleep the night before an interview! The walls were paper thin and the person in the room next to me was watching TV till 2AM!!! Hair dryer didn't work and by the time I found that out I didn't have time to ask for a new one because I had to leave early. Room was tiny and the shower had hairs in it. The town was pretty boring too, won't be going back. Breakfast was abysmal, not much for vegetarines. The only plus side was the staff were pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Ionie D
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed for a Saturday night as grandparents looking after a 10 week old baby.
Hotel has a lift which was great for push-chair and other baby paraphernalia.
Hotel is ideally situated in middle of market square - of course no car park but long term car-park is nearby with easy access to rear of hotel; probably less distance to walk than from large hotels' on site car park to entrance.
Some earlier comments are totally misleading and unfair:-
e.g. stayed in room 4 - small but really clean and comfortable.
Stayed Saturday night - busiest night for restaurant but did not find kitchen noise obtrusive as with a previous exaggerated review - even with sash windows open. We did have a baby remember and he slept undisturbed

Staff extremely friendly and accommodating, especially with baby in restaurant and at break-fast.
Considering that the hotel is right in the middle of a small town and has to preserve its period setting, the owners and staff have made a really good effort in making it clean, comfortable and accommodating.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CARROS2013
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have twice stayed in this hotel recently and I am about to book again. I found my room was lovely and comfortable on both occasions. I have stayed at the back of the hotel and at the front over looking the square. The was hustle and bustle, but what else would you expect from a hotel in town?! If you want peace and quiet, go to a country hotel. Personally, I really enjoyed my stay and watching the world go by busily outside, 5 nights in total now. About to book another 4.
The food is lovely, breakfast is served with a smile and chat. The fillet steak is beautiful!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GoldCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wantage
Star Inn
#3 of 4 in Faringdon
The Holt Hotel
The Holt Hotel
#29 of 44 in Oxford

Been to Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!