“Lovely Food......Terrible Rooms!!”
Review of Bear Hotel

Bear Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wantage
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here with about 20 other relatives as we were all attending a wedding. First impressions from the outside are of a lovely market town hotel and indeed upon entering everything looks welcoming and comfortable. However it all changed once we got to our room. The room itself was very small with a bathroom that you couldnt get 2 people in! The main problem for us was the fact that one of the 2 main windows was painted shut! This wouldnt normally be a problem but the weekend of the wedding was scorching hot and our bedroom was like a sauna!

The first night we couldnt sleep due to the heat so I tried ringing reception to see if they had a fan, 20 mins I tried with no success. In the end we decided to get up and go downstairs to get a drink, sit outside and cool off. Once at reception we spoke to night porter who admitted that they had employed shoddy decorators who'd painted most of the windows in the hotel shut and not just our room! Apparently they were due to be sorted, such a shame it hadnt already been done.

Going back to our room we moved the bed closer to the one open window. This was a mistake as upon moving the bed we revealed some old discarded food on the carpet. Obviously the bed hadnt been moved for a long long time. We eventually got to sleep only to be woken up first thing in the morning by the kitchen staff banging and crashing utensils and plates (our room was opposite the kitchens) and talking at the top of their voices.

Its such a shame that this hotel is let down by the points above. The food is lovely and the bar staff along with the staff in the restaurant were great. Come here for a meal by all means but dont stay in any of the rooms if you want a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Do not stay in any room!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Looked lovely and ye olde worlde from the outside and ground floor bar/reception area, but once you go upstairs to the bedrooms it begins to look decidedly dated, cheap and in the less obvious places (under the bed) dirty and unkempt. Bedroom 4 was extraordinarily hot and stuffy, with the sash window only opening a few inches. Before 7am the kitchen staff began their work and loud chatting and any chance of grabbing a little sleep was well and truly trounced. Breakfast was decent, though, and staff very helpful with regard to the car parking arrangements. Lovely pot of tea, too. The bedroom itself was small but had the basics - shame you can no longer have a glass tumbler in a hotel these days (hygiene-sealed plastic cups instead made it feel more like a cheap motel), and where was the hairdryer? We found old chips and used tissues under the bed when looking for a dropped item. Lovely fluffy clean and plentiful towels, though. A place of contradictions. Cheap, cheerful but not the best quality.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking kitchen
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Nice hotel in gorgeous sourindings in the middle of nowhere. Friendly staff . I had a cabin outside which was nice room, was Small and had free wifi. Bed was uncomftable but I would stay again. I wouldn't recommend the breakfast as it was swimming in grease was not nice at all. The staff are very friendly and helpfull.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Unfortunately the hotel doesn’t have its own parking and that’s about the worst I can say.
The people here met me with a smile and where so helpful. The food was reasonably priced and looked, as well as tasted good. The room I was in, 38, was clean and spacious. In fact the room was too big and I got lost in the night looking for the toilet!
It was a bit noisy late at night when the smokers where in the court yard but nothing to bad
I would recommend this hotel and the town, which looked a “nice” place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank rob s
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Conveniently located in the middle of this market town, the hotel offers excellent accommodation and has a great restaurant. The food is of the highest quality and excellently presented at reasonable prices.

All the staff are very friendly and attentive and the bar offers other options for snacks and a destination venue for locals and residents alike.

Lacking car parking facilities, but there is a large pay and display around the corner, so a minor inconvenience. If you are staying in Wantage then I would recommend the restaurant if nothing else.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I spent only one night at The Bear in Wantage, but that was enough. The room was small, the bed very old and uncomfortable, and the unnecessary noise (kitchen staff music) emanating from the kitchen made for a disappointing stay. The worst part was when turning down the bed at midnight I found fresh blood on the sheets, as if when the maid had prepared the bed a finger had been cut. There was no one in reception, but my husband found a cleaner who got him a fresh sheet. The general atmosphere seemed almost overstaffed during the day, but no one of accountability when presented with such a shock.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Amy R
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at the Bear as part of a wedding party. The staff were very friendly and we were impressed by the extensive menu and the quality of the food at the restaurant. The hotel itself is large and characterful. The back of the building is a bit of a rabbit warren but you get used to the quirks of the building quite quickly. I thought that the rooms were rather on the smallish side but they were clean and comfortable, and served their purpose nicely.

Room Tip: If you have problems with mobility you might like to request a room at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wantage
Star Inn
#3 of 4 in Faringdon
The Holt Hotel
The Holt Hotel
#29 of 44 in Oxford

Been to Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!