“Gets Better”

Bear Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wantage
“Gets Better”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Have stayed here several times in the past and stayed again last night. A lot of work has been carried out since we last stayed 18months or so ago. All painted up, new beds (really comfy) re-vamped bathroom and just really improved and upgraded. We stayed in room 8 (which some-one else said was cold and they couldn't stand up in the shower) and found it warm and the shower was no problem. Actually requested this room as we have had it before and like to be in the older part of the hotel because of the creaky floorboards and character. Well done, will be back soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is a restaurant review.

Very much enjoyed Sunday lunch at The Bear in Wantage. The food is hearty and quite adventurous - or to put it another way good sized country portions with gastro-pub menu. And good value too. The restaurant space is comfortable and the serving staff delightful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Douglas, null, Isle Of Man
Reviewed March 1, 2013

From the outside, this old coaching inn really looks picturesque. It's right in the centre of this small, charming little town, on the market square. When you step inside, you immediately understand that the experience will be a mile away from that in a corporate, chain hotel. The reception is tucked in amongst the bars, restaurant and cubby holes on the ground floor. Check in was quick and easy, and the receptionist friendly and efficient. No key card, no corporate script! Just an old fashioned room key on a key fob. There's a small lift, that worked fine. The corridor to my second floor room was narrow, full of corners and had a low, angled ceiling squeezed under the pitched roof. Watch out for the step as you make your way into the corridor.

My room was small, and although comfortable, furnished with spartan furniture. There was a small flat screen TV on a wall bracket, which was understandable as there wasn't really any space for a table of any size.The en-suite shower room was small and cold, but clean. The shower did not perform with any vigour at all.

There was free wi-fi, which worked well. Unfortunately, I did not get a good nights sleep on either of the two nights I stayed, because the walls are thin and every nearby sound reaches you, including the snoring of your fellow guests and conversation from the kitchen. In short, the rooms are well below the standard of a budget chain hotel like Premier Inn, which I take as the current average. So based on the room alone, I'd have rated this place poor.

But that ignores what is being done in that rather noisy kitchen. I ate one evening meal in the restaurant, and it was excellent. I had seared scallops with black pudding, streaky bacon and rocket and it was yummy! The fillet steak with chunky chips and Stilton sauce was also delicious, as was the cheeseboard. The server kept me supplied with pints of very nice Arkells ale throughout. Breakfast was also good, served at my table and freshly cooked, no buffet here. The server apologised both days for the breakfast taking a while, but really this wasn't necessary as it didn't seem to take that long and it was cooked to order.

In summary, below standard accommodation, but excellent food and some friendly and efficient staff. That equates to an 'Average' in my book. It's just a shame about the rooms, if they were up to a modern standard, then this would be a fantastic place to stay with real character.

Room Tip: Ask if there's quiet room available if you are a light sleeper otherwise you will have a disturb...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Martin T
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for two nights on the 28th and 29th December 2012.The overall experience of the room was way below average! I am not a picky person, all I wanted was a clean, warm room! However upon arrival we were escorted to room 8 situated at the front of the hotel - it was absolutely freezing! After speaking to the management we had our radiator switched on and the room did warm up after a few hours however the next evening the heating and hot water were completely turned off! Not only do you get to sleep in a totally freezing room - you can’t even take a hot shower! As the hour was late there was no staff or management to assist us:((((

We stayed at this hotel as part of a wedding party consisting of 10 people - no positive remarks were made about the hotel! I am average height but could not stand in the shower as the ceiling was too low :(

On the positive side the beds were clean! :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Wantage hotels

Boughton Monchelsea
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at the Bear Hotel on monday 03/12/2012. There is a walk from the car parking in the town car park but was happy with the distance and acessibility.
I checked in and took the lift to the 2nd floor. I came out of the lift and felt the warmth of the heating. (it was 1 or 2C outside) when I opened the door to my corridor it felt very cold. The room was not particularly warm but I spent a reasonably comfortable night there. The room was clean & tidy with a functioning TV.
I was not offered the W-ifi code. The book in the room said to ask reception. I expect this to be offered or included in the room book!
When I went to breakfast around 07.15am and I was shocked to see a window open about 400mm and it was windy and very cold outside! I could not understand why the window was open but sat at a table close to big cast iron radiator. However the radiator was cold. I don't suffer with the cold usually but was very uncomfortable. I spoke to other guests who were complaining about the cold. This really was unacceptable!
I was only offered one coffee for breakfast and no one came to offer a refill.
The toast was pretty low quality brown bread. The poached eggs were much nicer.
I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid going to the right on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Good value for the money. It seems that part has been refurbished and for what I saw, it was basically good. However part needs refurbishing and the bar area must be at the top of the list as it is currently very uninviting. There needs to be a little more attention to detail : -
I had an extra chair in my room which gave limited access to the door to the bathroom - it should be removed.
Due to limited space in the bathroom, the shower screen had no swing stop so significant splashing on to the floor was inevitable.
On this occasion, I did not eat at the premises.

Room Tip: Due to the quaint building layout, It is more comvenient to be in a room over the reception area rat...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We went to a wedding in a village nearby and chose the Bear to stay in. It was ok - the price was ok, the rooms were ok and the breakfast was ok. I would say that the rooms vary quite a bit - some friends had managed to get much a bigger room which was considerably nicer so I would definitely ask for that!

• Stayed September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wantage
Star Inn
Premier Inn Oxford South (Didcot) Hotel
Manor Farm Bed and Breakfast
Manor Farm Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 1 in West Challow

Been to Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!