“Another Chilling Experience”
Review of Bear Hotel

Bear Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wantage
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for two nights on the 28th and 29th December 2012.The overall experience of the room was way below average! I am not a picky person, all I wanted was a clean, warm room! However upon arrival we were escorted to room 8 situated at the front of the hotel - it was absolutely freezing! After speaking to the management we had our radiator switched on and the room did warm up after a few hours however the next evening the heating and hot water were completely turned off! Not only do you get to sleep in a totally freezing room - you can’t even take a hot shower! As the hour was late there was no staff or management to assist us:((((

We stayed at this hotel as part of a wedding party consisting of 10 people - no positive remarks were made about the hotel! I am average height but could not stand in the shower as the ceiling was too low :(

On the positive side the beds were clean! :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at the Bear Hotel on monday 03/12/2012. There is a walk from the car parking in the town car park but was happy with the distance and acessibility.
I checked in and took the lift to the 2nd floor. I came out of the lift and felt the warmth of the heating. (it was 1 or 2C outside) when I opened the door to my corridor it felt very cold. The room was not particularly warm but I spent a reasonably comfortable night there. The room was clean & tidy with a functioning TV.
I was not offered the W-ifi code. The book in the room said to ask reception. I expect this to be offered or included in the room book!
When I went to breakfast around 07.15am and I was shocked to see a window open about 400mm and it was windy and very cold outside! I could not understand why the window was open but sat at a table close to big cast iron radiator. However the radiator was cold. I don't suffer with the cold usually but was very uncomfortable. I spoke to other guests who were complaining about the cold. This really was unacceptable!
I was only offered one coffee for breakfast and no one came to offer a refill.
The toast was pretty low quality brown bread. The poached eggs were much nicer.
I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid going to the right on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Good value for the money. It seems that part has been refurbished and for what I saw, it was basically good. However part needs refurbishing and the bar area must be at the top of the list as it is currently very uninviting. There needs to be a little more attention to detail : -
I had an extra chair in my room which gave limited access to the door to the bathroom - it should be removed.
Due to limited space in the bathroom, the shower screen had no swing stop so significant splashing on to the floor was inevitable.
On this occasion, I did not eat at the premises.

Room Tip: Due to the quaint building layout, It is more comvenient to be in a room over the reception area rat...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We went to a wedding in a village nearby and chose the Bear to stay in. It was ok - the price was ok, the rooms were ok and the breakfast was ok. I would say that the rooms vary quite a bit - some friends had managed to get much a bigger room which was considerably nicer so I would definitely ask for that!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed one night to attend a wedding nearby, the room was what you would expect, my only gripe is that we booked a double room and our beds were in fact two bed pushed together rather than a double bed which we would have preferred, as it was rather uncomfortable with a gap in the middle, The staff were really friendly and the breakfast was great, all in all a nice hotel

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night whilst on business ,the second time I have stayed. Very attractive from outside and lack of parking not a problem for me as parked where I was working (opposite!) Had a room overlooking rear of building so no view and some noise before 7,possibly from kitchen? room was ok , had a bath which I prefer tho there was a shower too.room had a very creeky floor (but it is very old so to be expected!)tap on sink was loose and had to put kettle on floor to plug it in.glad I didn't wash my hair as hair dryer was fixed to the wall and it would be difficult to then see yourself in mirror!the best thing about the bear is the food - it was fab! Had the steak pie and it was the best I have tasted,breakfast good too. also slept well.would I stay again-yes,I like quirky !!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I feel for a low cost hotel it's well priced for what you get. It's on the market square and there is a public car park at the back of the hotel.

Our room was a fair size and also clean, the hotel bar has a good atmosphere. breakfast was nice and filling.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ROSSB1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wantage
Star Inn
#3 of 4 in Faringdon
The Holt Hotel
The Holt Hotel
#29 of 44 in Oxford

Been to Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!