“Chilling Experience”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wantage
Boughton Monchelsea
“Chilling Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at the Bear Hotel on monday 03/12/2012. There is a walk from the car parking in the town car park but was happy with the distance and acessibility.
I checked in and took the lift to the 2nd floor. I came out of the lift and felt the warmth of the heating. (it was 1 or 2C outside) when I opened the door to my corridor it felt very cold. The room was not particularly warm but I spent a reasonably comfortable night there. The room was clean & tidy with a functioning TV.
I was not offered the W-ifi code. The book in the room said to ask reception. I expect this to be offered or included in the room book!
When I went to breakfast around 07.15am and I was shocked to see a window open about 400mm and it was windy and very cold outside! I could not understand why the window was open but sat at a table close to big cast iron radiator. However the radiator was cold. I don't suffer with the cold usually but was very uncomfortable. I spoke to other guests who were complaining about the cold. This really was unacceptable!
I was only offered one coffee for breakfast and no one came to offer a refill.
The toast was pretty low quality brown bread. The poached eggs were much nicer.
I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid going to the right on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Good value for the money. It seems that part has been refurbished and for what I saw, it was basically good. However part needs refurbishing and the bar area must be at the top of the list as it is currently very uninviting. There needs to be a little more attention to detail : -
I had an extra chair in my room which gave limited access to the door to the bathroom - it should be removed.
Due to limited space in the bathroom, the shower screen had no swing stop so significant splashing on to the floor was inevitable.
On this occasion, I did not eat at the premises.

Room Tip: Due to the quaint building layout, It is more comvenient to be in a room over the reception area rat...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We went to a wedding in a village nearby and chose the Bear to stay in. It was ok - the price was ok, the rooms were ok and the breakfast was ok. I would say that the rooms vary quite a bit - some friends had managed to get much a bigger room which was considerably nicer so I would definitely ask for that!

• Stayed September 2012
Didcot
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed one night to attend a wedding nearby, the room was what you would expect, my only gripe is that we booked a double room and our beds were in fact two bed pushed together rather than a double bed which we would have preferred, as it was rather uncomfortable with a gap in the middle, The staff were really friendly and the breakfast was great, all in all a nice hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
dorset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night whilst on business ,the second time I have stayed. Very attractive from outside and lack of parking not a problem for me as parked where I was working (opposite!) Had a room overlooking rear of building so no view and some noise before 7,possibly from kitchen? room was ok , had a bath which I prefer tho there was a shower too.room had a very creeky floor (but it is very old so to be expected!)tap on sink was loose and had to put kettle on floor to plug it in.glad I didn't wash my hair as hair dryer was fixed to the wall and it would be difficult to then see yourself in mirror!the best thing about the bear is the food - it was fab! Had the steak pie and it was the best I have tasted,breakfast good too. also slept well.would I stay again-yes,I like quirky !!

• Stayed September 2012
ROSSB1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

I feel for a low cost hotel it's well priced for what you get. It's on the market square and there is a public car park at the back of the hotel.

Our room was a fair size and also clean, the hotel bar has a good atmosphere. breakfast was nice and filling.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ROSSB1
Accrington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I was very under whelmed with my stay at The Bear. First impressions were excellent entering the lovely looking market town of Wantage and the hotel had a breezy feel downstairs - it is very nice to look at.

My room was very average. Overly soft bed that had seen better days and the shower wasn't the best. Guess it was passable but not really worth £70.

The problem I had was breakfast in the morning. I entered a filthy / messy looking restaurant at about 7.50am so not exactly last dregs of the morning. I was told by a member of staff that she would be right with me (as I waited to be seated) as she then proceeded to make up a table from scratch (not one I would be sitting at). After about 30 seconds I decided to seat myself and then had to spend the next 20 minutes listening to the staff complain to each other about another guest. Whether their grumbles were valid or not I don't think that I should be listening to that. It felt like Faulty Towers.

When I then went to check out and requested an invoice (this was a business trip) the reception staff were unsure about how I would get one. Bizarre.

This place has potential but management need to look at how its being run. Wouldn't be recommending this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Wantage hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wantage
Star Inn
Premier Inn Oxford South (Didcot) Hotel
Manor Farm Bed and Breakfast
Manor Farm Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 1 in West Challow

Been to Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!