“Lovely Food”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: It is easily accessible from Britchcombe Farm Camp Site
Reviewed November 26, 2013

My husband took me to this lovely little place out in the Country for dinner a few nights ago. On entering the bar area I could smell paint, the place had recently been painted and smelled awful, however the lady behind the bar (very pleasant) mentioned to relocate us to a table in the conservatory where you couldn't smell the paint. The waitress bought menu's to us and mine had food all over it.......hmmmm I thought not a good start, then there was a dog that kept coming up to us while we were eating.......really didn't like that. However, the food was lovely, couldn't fault the food at all, I had the duck confit to start and the medallions of pork for main, thoroughly enjoyed the food and would definitely go again. I have scored 4 out of 5 but does have the potential to be 5 out of 5. Looking forwards to going in the spring when you can sit outside and admire the view.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I didn't want to be disappointed and we all desperately tried to ignore our disappointment but now sitting at home....
It was my mum's 76th birthday. I'd booked well in advance. We travelled far to reach this beautiful pub in absolutely stunning surroundings.
They already knew there was a party of twelve and our party of six. Plus all the other tables were full. One and a half waiters for all of us? We tried to ignore the fact that there was no-one around and the food was taking a while. I didn't complain when my vegetarian dish (root vegetable pie) was awful ) chef please taste your food you are serving - way too sweet with un identifiable veg and muddy brown spice sauce - cinnamon? nutmeg? In the sauce - where was the white wine and cream? On the plus side the pastry top was lovely!
We spent a lot of money on poor service and ok food. (The staff were perfectly pleasant)
Maybe people shouldn't go on a Saturday?

Still we had a lovely walk in the surrounding area before driving all the way home.

1  Thank Londonbongo45
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Recommend you share starters otherwise you won't fit it all in. Sirloin steak close to perfection. Other dishes were also fantastic. Would have preferred to dine in the snug pub area rather than conservatory but that is a minor niggle. They also serve a diner menu on Sunday from 5:30pm which would appeal to any family looking for an early meal. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have been there several times over the last 3 years and have never been disappointed. The Blowing Stone has the feel of a pub and serves good food in a pleasant manner that does't deter from the puby feel. I would be very happy and have been to go there just for a drink. So many pubs do not have that opportunity anymore.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I met a girlfriend here for lunch and we both decided to have the Baked Hake with a herby crust and served on a bed of wilted spinach and parsnip puree. It was absolutely delicious! A good sized chunk of fish beautifully cooked ...and the parsnip puree was heavenly. For dessert I had a not-too-heavy summer pudding with a generous "round" of clotted cream and my friend opted for the Eton Mess which she thoroughly enjoyed. It was a lovely sunny day and we ate in the ample garden. It's amazing how many people were there given that the pub is seemingly in the middle of nowhere, down a country lane....but that's the testament to just how good the food is! Will definitely go again.

2  Thank Akasha L