“Great mix of tasty food, sunshine and charming staff.”
Review of The Thatch

The Thatch
Reserve with OpenTable
The Thatch is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 35 Restaurants in Thame
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Transit: Bus to Oxford / Aylesbury from out side the Pub. Nearest railway station is Haddenham and Thame.
Description: The Thatch is run by the award-winning Peach Pub Company. Founder, Lee Cash, was one of Raymond Blanc's inspectors on the TV show and, with co-founder Hamish Stoddart, was recently named in the Observer's Future 500 survey as one of the UK's Top 50 Talents in food. Peach's other Oxfordshire pubs, The Fishes in North Hinksey & The Fleece in Witney both feature in the Michelin Guide 2008.
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We had a long chatty lunch, sitting in the garden with the dog. The sun shone and the staff couldn't have been more pleasant or helpful. The dog was even provided with ice cubes in his bowl of water.
We shared a fish platter and a very nice bottle of Sicilian white wine and then had a salad each. My Superfood Salad was packed with flavour and a real surprise. The waitress suggested I might like to try their chips with it, in such a charming way that I did and very nice they were too. Full marks for well trained staff.
We finished with tea and coffee and were literally sitting in the garden for hours but never felt pushed to,leave. A really enjoyable lunch in pleasant surroundings.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I had received a voucher, becuase I am on the mailing list and it was my birthday, for a free bottle of prosecco if I dined within two weeks of my birthday with a table of four. After a hectic day and actually planning on going somewhere else for dinner I actually ended up at The Thatch on my birthday, along with my husband and my parents. We turned up without reservations on Tuesday evening at about 8pm. The restaurant was buzzing and full of life. We were welcomed nicely and well attended throughout the evening. The bottel of prosecco was delicious and a very welcome treat. The food was generally of a good standard (although the special of pork could have done with more seasoning and the sauce being thicker), the duck croquets were delicious (and mostly duck rather than potato). After the meal, with everyone having declined pudding, a large slice of treacle tart was brought out to the table along with a candle on the top and 'Happy Birthday' piped in chocolate sauce around the plate. What a great touch! We all tucked in and enjoyed it immensely. I was very impressed by the attention and care we received and I was very pleased with how the meal went. It's these little touches that make you return to a restaurant and I will certailny be doing that. A great evening!

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I do like the Thatch, and it is one of the better places in a Thame for food; but every time we eat there, we always walk away thinking that it is expensive. The food is good, and I think they source really good quality stuff; that said I sometimes read the menu and nothing at all jumps out at me (which is rare). It is the only gastro type pub in Thame, so always busy, and it is very consistent........but I always want them to do a bit better. I think if some of the other pubs in Thame sorted out their overall offering a bit better (food, service, facilities), the Thatch would have to up its game.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I visited recently for a business lunch. I cannot fault the interior layout and décor- it is really very nice.

Service is OK, but not over attentive.

The food was a bit disappointing. I had the wild rice, coconut, mango and pickled mackerel. To be honest I felt quite worn out half way through it as there was paddy fields full of rice, the coconut was very dry and the mackerel was both very small and a bit mushy, (the occasional pieces of mango were very nice though). I have had far superior roll mops from a jar, unfortunately.

I also had a been side salad, which I must say was very pleasant. One of my colleagues had the same and the other had the sole which was a bit bland and bony.

Given the reputation, the write ups and the prices, I was overall quite disappointed.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Ate at The Thatch after looking on Trip Advisor for somewhere to eat earlier this week to celebrate my husbands birthday while staying in Thame. Very hospitable and the food was excellent, a but different from the usual pub meal. We ate outside as it was such a lovely evening, and we're not hurried at all, especially as they were very busy. We had the Deli meal as a main course, really good, especially the Fish Deli which I had, perfect for a hit summers evening.