“Overpriced”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Thame
London
“Overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

We paid £100 for a room which was outdated, had peeling wallpaper and stains in the bath. The website is very misleading, our room was not refurbished like some and felt more like a 3 star hotel which would have been fine but for £100 we were expecting something a lot better. We didn't see the refurbished rooms which might be fine, check before you book. The breakfast was ok, rubbery eggs Benedict but strong coffee. The staff were friendly.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Turkish first
Hove, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

Stayed on a Sunday night. Was lucky enough to be allocated one of the reburbed rooms, which was nice, although I wouldn't want to pay the rack rate advertised on the hotel's own website. Stayed at this hotel a year ago when they must have recently started the refrub, and a year on, they don't seem to have made much progress. I gather about a third of the rooms are complete and there is a new reception desk, but otherwise the public areas/corridors are in a poor state of decor. However, I can see the potential and if you get a refurb room at the right rate, I would happily recommend this hotel. The location is perfect - right in the cente of the high street and within very easy walking distance of several good pubs, restaurants and shops. In particular, there is a fabulous Indian restaurant just a 3 minute walk from the hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank meg987
Bromley
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2009

What a awful hotel it smelt of damp everywhere and my room was full of the damp the bathroom was dirty and the bath had green stuff growing from it. The toliet seat was broken. The receptionist was most unhelpful when I ask for a remote control for my TV i was told they just didn't have any and that was that. The restaurant stuck of grease and damp mixed into together. I stayed here on my own and was stuck in a dark corner of the hotel in a room that was musky and horrible when asked to be moved i was told no. I would not stay in this hotel if I was you.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Thame hotels

Staffordshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2009

The single room was quite pleasant for a business stay but the WiFI didn't work and so I and another guest had to sit in reception, so not as advertised! The decorations on the passageways were absolutely appalling though, and some of the carpeted areas were unclean.

The service in the restaurant was OK once I had found a waiter to get a table - I must have stood for about 10 minutes before anyone appeared. The liver was undercooked and strong, and another guest refused to pay for it. The breakfast was much better with a good range of hot and cold choices.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
GeneralManagerThame, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
Since this guest has stayed we have finished refurbishing the majority of the corridors as identified in this review, along with installing a new wireless network which has resolved all of the connectivity issues we were occasionally having with the previous system. FREE Wireless internet is available throughout the hotel for all our guests, and also for those just coming in for a drink in the bar.

Our bar and restaurant have recently been refurbished in a contemporary style, although still paying homage to it's classical roots. Our new menu and wine list is proving extremely popular with both residents and local diners alike, table reservations are therefore recommended.
Boyce101
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

I booked this hotel as a treat for my fiancee as it was her birthday, even if i say so myself it was probably the worse present i have ever bought her!
The good points - it is an excellent location, Thame is a really pretty town with nice shops and places to eat. The service provided from the staff was excellent with all being pleasant and helpful.
The negatives - The website suggests the hotel rooms are of a high standard which is not the case. When we arrived at the hotel we were told we had been upgraded to a suite. We were really excited about this but that soon changed after a trip down a dark scruffy looking corridor into a room that reminded me of my grandma's living room about 20 years ago! If this is the quality of the suites I would not like to have seen a standard room! The decor was tired along with all the furnishings, the bedroom upstairs was exactly the same and the bathroom was a disgrace. The wood in the bathroom had started to crumble and it was clear that the whole suite should have been ripped out about 10 years ago. My fiancee decided to have a bath but after over filling slightly she realised that the plug realise didn't work so i had to use a pair of tweezers to release the water. When the water was released it brought up a really unpleasant smell in the shower cubicle. The room had access to a private garden but don't get caught up in the magic, it isn't very nice and there wasn't any furniture to use anyway.
The suites back onto the function room and unfortunatley there was a private function on the night we stayed. The windows are secondary glazed which doesn't block out the noise from the venue.
I am 6ft 3 and struggled with the shower as it came up to my chest meaning that i had to crouch to use it properly. The hotel is generally not tall-person friendly as i banged my head several times!
We had the breakfast which was hit and miss, the continental style breakfast was quite nice but the cooked breakfast was only just warm.
If you do stay i would avoid the toilets in the restaurant as they are in the basement and have no windows and were very tired and unpleasant.
All in all i wouldn't recommend that you stay at this hotel until the refurb has been fully completed, the location is excellent and when the hotel is finished it will be a good place to stay but until then stay well away.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

Firstly, have to say that we didn't stay at the hotel, but went to see it as some of our wedding guests had booked to stay there and we wanted to see what it was like. If we had booked there, we would have left.

We initially went in for tea/coffee. Prompt service, but it all smelled a little damp and the wicker furniture was all very tired and tea served in slightly stained metal teapot etc. I always check out the "facilities" to get a real view of how a restaurant was run and unfortunately they belonged more in a run-down village hall than a relatively expensive hotel.

The lady at reception in the hotel was very friendly and helpful in letting us see a variety of rooms. Cannot fault the service she offered. The standard rooms were somewhat remincent of those I stayed in with my parents in the mid-eighties and I dont think the decor had been updated. The most expensive suite was certainly spacious but again, mid-eighties decor. The corridors in the non-refurbished part (probably 70% of the hotel) were dark, with very worn carpets and peeling, marked paint.
The refurbished rooms looked very nice, but were small and details such as places to put things were clearly overlooked.

The owners of the hotel have clearly found very clever website designers to make it look good, but if you look carefully, almost NO pictures of the hotel on it at all. Slightly fuzzy picture of the dining room and the corner of one bed and bathroom only. There is a reason for this sadly - the hotel doesn't live up to the very stylish website. We were suspicious of this, and sad that we were proved correct.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thame
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
The Peacock
The Peacock
#1 of 1 in Henton

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel? Share your experiences!