Upon arrival we were first allocated room 5 on the ground floor. We were not satisfied with this room as music playing in the bar could be heard and the room was tired and gloomy. We (grudgingly we felt ) were then allocated Room 8 which we reluctantly decided would have to suffice. When we came to book out we were presented with a bill of £7.90 for ‘changing rooms’ – As we were pressed for time I did not stay to argue but I was VERY unhappy.
Now let me detail to the shortcomings of Room 8:
1) Dowdy and old fashioned decor.
2) Carpet old and patchy. Curtains old and dull.
3) Electrical bulbs in several fittings did not work.
4) The wardrobe doors were stuck closed – we managed to prise open using a spoon as no key for the lock or handle could be found.
5) Smelled disgustingly of ‘furniture spray polish’ throughout.
6) Picture hooks on panelling above bed but no pictures.
7) T.V. situated on luggage stand – moved for convenience.
8) Bathroom shaving light did not work – Reported but was not repaired!
9) Bathroom was VERY hot – thermostat control had been broken and did not work.
10) The shower here is the VERY WORST that I have ever encountered in over sixty years of visiting hotels throughout England, Scotland Wales and the rest of the world.....There was the merest dribble from the shower head and absolutely NO control over temperature at all.
11) Very old fashioned shower screen which had been fitted upside-down and looked awful with manky rubber fittings. Sink taps which took several turns to get to work.
12) Tired, scruffy bath and panelling
13) the photographs of rooms and food as portrayed in the advertising bear no resemblance to that which we experienced, I shall be sending a copy of this letter and complaint to them concerning these issues as well as requesting a refund.
Also we overheard several other guests express their concerns over the issue of having to pay extra to park – redeeming the fee at the bar was not possible against the drinks I had ordered therefore redemption went begging.
Unfortunately I also have complaints about the food:
1) The fixed meal menu was very limited.
2) My breakfast order of eggs Benedict was awful – the poached egg was hardboiled and the sauce was like sludge.
3) My partner’s Scottish oats was like a dish of cement.
4) Next morning I ordered ‘bacon, sausage and a fried egg “SUNNY SIDE UP”....’ hoping I would get a decent breakfast – when it arrived the waitress saw that the egg yolk was broken with yolk spilling out all over the dish – ‘Is this all right?’ she enquired: My options being a)Send it back and let the better part of the meal go cold awaiting a new fried egg b)Accept the breakfast as another failure of this Hotel to uphold any semblance of high standards....What kind of chef or cook sends out a breakfast plate with sub-standard items? YOURS!!! I merely shrugged my acquiescence of the situation.
I respectfully requested that theyreimburse me for the £7.90 ‘Room change’ charge as we were not told this would be applied when we changed rooms.
STILL WAITING WEEKS LATER.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Spread Eagle Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Spread Eagle Hotel Thame, Oxfordshire, UK