“NEVER AGAIN - RATHER SLEEP IN THE GUTTER”

The Spread Eagle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Thame
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“NEVER AGAIN - RATHER SLEEP IN THE GUTTER”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Upon arrival we were first allocated room 5 on the ground floor. We were not satisfied with this room as music playing in the bar could be heard and the room was tired and gloomy. We (grudgingly we felt ) were then allocated Room 8 which we reluctantly decided would have to suffice. When we came to book out we were presented with a bill of £7.90 for ‘changing rooms’ – As we were pressed for time I did not stay to argue but I was VERY unhappy.
Now let me detail to the shortcomings of Room 8:
1) Dowdy and old fashioned decor.
2) Carpet old and patchy. Curtains old and dull.
3) Electrical bulbs in several fittings did not work.
4) The wardrobe doors were stuck closed – we managed to prise open using a spoon as no key for the lock or handle could be found.
5) Smelled disgustingly of ‘furniture spray polish’ throughout.
6) Picture hooks on panelling above bed but no pictures.
7) T.V. situated on luggage stand – moved for convenience.
8) Bathroom shaving light did not work – Reported but was not repaired!
9) Bathroom was VERY hot – thermostat control had been broken and did not work.
10) The shower here is the VERY WORST that I have ever encountered in over sixty years of visiting hotels throughout England, Scotland Wales and the rest of the world.....There was the merest dribble from the shower head and absolutely NO control over temperature at all.
11) Very old fashioned shower screen which had been fitted upside-down and looked awful with manky rubber fittings. Sink taps which took several turns to get to work.
12) Tired, scruffy bath and panelling
13) the photographs of rooms and food as portrayed in the advertising bear no resemblance to that which we experienced, I shall be sending a copy of this letter and complaint to them concerning these issues as well as requesting a refund.
Also we overheard several other guests express their concerns over the issue of having to pay extra to park – redeeming the fee at the bar was not possible against the drinks I had ordered therefore redemption went begging.
Unfortunately I also have complaints about the food:
1) The fixed meal menu was very limited.
2) My breakfast order of eggs Benedict was awful – the poached egg was hardboiled and the sauce was like sludge.
3) My partner’s Scottish oats was like a dish of cement.
4) Next morning I ordered ‘bacon, sausage and a fried egg “SUNNY SIDE UP”....’ hoping I would get a decent breakfast – when it arrived the waitress saw that the egg yolk was broken with yolk spilling out all over the dish – ‘Is this all right?’ she enquired: My options being a)Send it back and let the better part of the meal go cold awaiting a new fried egg b)Accept the breakfast as another failure of this Hotel to uphold any semblance of high standards....What kind of chef or cook sends out a breakfast plate with sub-standard items? YOURS!!! I merely shrugged my acquiescence of the situation.
I respectfully requested that theyreimburse me for the £7.90 ‘Room change’ charge as we were not told this would be applied when we changed rooms.
STILL WAITING WEEKS LATER.

Room Tip: Don't change room they charge you....don't park they charge for that too!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pwazza
GeneralManagerThame, Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Sir

Thank you for your review. I have replied to you personally explaining the issues that you have highlighted. As mentioned the 7.90 you were charged on check out was not for changing rooms but for a glass of wine and a pint of real Ale that you enjoyed in the restaurant. I am sorry you have felt the need to post a negative review on trip advisor but as mentioned to you in the email i sent, we thank you for highlighting areas that you feel need improving and your points have been actioned.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I booked a room at this hotel via a Deals site and when i phoned to book my double room i was told there weren't any available on this date but if i paid another £20 i could have a "Deluxe" bedroom. I accepted this and to be honest with you i wasnt expecting too much.
The check in was very easy and we were told we were staying in the "A S Suite" which sounded promising so off we went to our room.....when we opened the door we were gobsmacked to find that we in fact had a 2 storey suite that was the size of a small house! The downstairs room consisted of a suite of furniture, a fridge and 2 patio doors that went into the garden and the upstairs was a very large bedroom with the usual furnishings and large bathroom. It was very well decorated and we thoroughly loved staying here (my only qualm was that as we were only there for one night we wouldnt be able to utilise all that this suite offered)!
It was a lovely decorated room and the only downside was that the water pressure in the taps and shower was so weak it more or less dribbled out.
As part of our deal we were entitled to a 3 course dinner (on a set menu) which we had no complaints on.....it was lovely but the breakfast in the morning left a lot to be desired. We both got to the restaurant at 8.30 (they finish at 9.30) and when we finally got served our breakfast (15 mins later) the black pudding was inedible (you couldnt get a knife through it where it was so tough and crispy) and the rest of it wasnt too far behind. We got about 5 slices of mushroom and 10 baked beans :-(
I can honestly say that apart from the breakfast we would def stay here again and have no other complaints about it. The place is modern and pleasant as are the staff!! :-)

Room Tip: Im not too sure how much the suites are on a normal day (i was on a deal) but if you can afford it t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed at this hotel with two other couples on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal. The reception area is obviously newly refurbished in what I suppose you would describe as an art deco style. I'm still not sure if I liked it or hated it! We stayed in rooms 5, 10 and 15, the latter of which had been redecorated to a good standard, although the headboard was just resting loosely behind the bed? Our friends paid an additional £20 to stay in this room. Room 5 was off the alley between the hotel rooms and the bar and dining area. There were 2 windows, only one of which had net curtains, so the curtains had to be constantly closed. As mentioned in other reviews of this hotel - it is obvious that several rooms (including 5 and 10) are sorely in need of refurbishment. The furnishings are in a dated finish, with far too much wood in realtively small rooms, and are very oppressive. Room 10 bizzarely has a bed that folds up into the wall. However, on a positive note, the bar and dining area are brightly refurbished and the staff there are extremely polite and friendly. We had a limited dinner menu, probably because of the deal we were on, but the food was good. Breakfast was enjoyable and well presented.

We tend to do quite a few of these DBB deals, and the standard of hotels varies hugely. I would definitely say this one is at the bottom of that scale in many ways. However, in view of the well prepared food and the attitude of the staff, a very dreary hotel turned out to be a reasonable stay. Lynne, Chris & Friends, Cheltenham & Swindon

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lynne W

Travelers are raving about these Thame hotels

Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Me and my wife stayed here for one night, we up-graded to a nice room, which was well worth it, think it was room 33, well nice, looks like it had recently been done up.
The staff were very good, we had a lovely three course meal which was very good, couldn't fault it.
I had smoke salmon with a white fish for main, well nice.
We had a lovely cooked breakfast in the morning which also very good.
We got the deal through travelzoo, it worked amazing value.
Looks like the hotel have made some improvements, really made an effort, we would recommended the hotel.

Room Tip: room 33 or 34 are lovely, ground floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dan e
Windsor
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We booked this hotel for a weekend away with Travelzoo. It was fabulous value for money. The bar, restaurant and reception area is newly decorated and quite chic. I think some bedrooms have been refurbished, but ours had not! Although clean and tidy, it was very 1980's and felt like we were staying in a caravan with its dark wood effect build-in wardrobe units for which the bed would fold up into! I am sure the hotel knows these rooms need a serious update! Apart from that, the staff were extremely friendly and couldn't do enough to help. The food in both bar and restaurant was first class. We had a great weekend away, Thame is a lovely market town and plenty to do and see.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed recently for a week while visiting family in the area. I grew-up in Thame before moving overseas 30 years ago, but this was my first time staying at the “Spread.” We had a garden-view room on the ground floor, which was quiet, warm and comfortable. The furnishings were nice to look at, but totally inadequate for a longer-term stay. The one small dresser had drawers that were about 2” in depth and stuck fast when we tried to open them. The wardrobe only sported four hangers. A coat hook on the back of the main door would also be helpful to hang wet coats – it does rain allot! The bathroom was large and there was always hot water – loved the towel warmer. But there was nowhere to place our toiletries as the sink was perched on a tiny stand. The bathroom exhaust fan was broken. Management should also consider installing non-slip material in the bathtub as it was tricky remaining stable while showering. One pet-peeve about many British hotels is the lack of a hairdryer and iron in the room, and there was neither. We had breakfast every morning in the main hotel dining room and can’t complain about the quality or service. (The Brits do know how to cook eggs in their hotels.) We also had dinner one evening with our family and again no complaints. This is a charming hotel full of local history and we’d stay there again. My hope is that management will take care of the little things that would make staying there even better.

Room Tip: The lower garden view rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Went for a weekend break with my wife and baby and stayed in a Suite, which consisted of ground floor relaxing area and first floor bedroom and bathroom. Had to request a fridge to be put in and shame that no TV downstairs, only upstairs in the bedroom. There was wifi in the room but signal was a bit hit and miss depending on where you were within the suite. Furniture downstairs was functional and had the appearance of looking a bit worn. Upstairs the 4 poster bed along with furniture and bathroom were fine. Staff were exceptionally good and friendly in both the hotel and bar/restaurant area and nothing was too much to ask. We had our young baby with us and they were happy to help in any way they could to ensure that we all got a break. Based in Thame which is a throwback to old England style with a high street that has been slightly spoilt by the influx of Costa Coffee and the Supermarkets etc..., but in the main has retained plenty of its traditional type buildings. We dined at the hotel on both evenings and the Manager and his staff looked after us very well. We had a really chilled out break. There are plenty of places to go after you have explored Thame. We chose to spend most of Saturday on a retail therapy trip to Bicester Retail Outlet Village consisting of some 130 odd upmarket fashion/retail branded shops (Paul Smith, Westwood, Gucci, D&G etc...) all offering at least 30% off from the normal high street value of their goods and many much much bigger discounts. Suffice to say my wife was a very happy lady when we finally finished our retail therapy!!! We didn't do much else and hung around Thame for the rest of our stay.... but there are plenty of other options for you if you should wish to explore further, Oxford isn't too far away. All in all very happy people and would recommend a stay at the Spread Eagle. Would not hesitate in going back to this hotel should the opportunity present itself again in the future.

Room Tip: The hotel has it's own private parking (£3.00 per 24 hours) at the rear of the hotel, which you...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank eastendanto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thame
Travelodge Thame Hotel
Mercure Thame Lambert Hotel
Pinewood Hotel
Pinewood Hotel
#13 of 21 in Slough

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel? Share your experiences!