“Great accommodation and food”

The Spread Eagle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Thame
Sale, Australia
“Great accommodation and food”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed for two nights in the 'Hayloft' room, which was the epitome of luxury. A spacious room, containing an ornate, king-sized bed, a lush chaise longue and arm chair. The bathroom was also luxurious (and larger than some hotel rooms I've stayed in); featuring a lavish, claw-foot bath tub, and a modern shower.

I felt very spoilt to stay in this room. There is also free wifi throughout.

The restaurant was also quite lavishly appointed, with some extravagantly large, throne-like chairs, and a great ambience. The service was good, the staff were friendly and efficient. The food was well presented and delicious.

I would happily return.

Room Tip: The Hayloft is the 'top of the range', and other rooms with names (rather than numbers) are...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Family lunch ruined by poor service. The staff didn't seem to know what they were doing. Food was good when it eventually arrived although some dishes were missing and lukewarm. Very disappointing experience and won't go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Thame hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding - April 11th and 12th. We were sent a selection of choices but chose here as it appeared to be one of the nicest; we stayed with our daughter and granddaughter who is 7 months. Initially when first booking we were prepared to take a moses basket for her but as she has grown so much recently revised this and the request for a cot was placed and confirmed by e.mail on the 10th April.

On arrival we were pleased with our choice; the public areas are very pleasant, smart and a bit quirky, as was Reception. We then went to our rooms. We had paid £100 per room per night, not cheap by any means and oh what a dissapointment. The furniture is dated and drab, the carpet was stained and threadbare. The French doors and windows were mouldy and dirty. The bathroom was also from the 70's, with mould around the base of the shower screen. The bed was clean. Our daughters room was better however, although not far so.

We had mentioined the cot at Reception - he said he wasn't aware but would get on to it. My daughter checked at 8 pm, no cot, she checked again at 8.45 no cot. We went to our room at 9.15, spoke to the Receptionist who said that the 2 cots in the hotel were being used so he had sent Housekeeping to see if there was another!! He then said "Not being a parent myself, I'm unsure as to how important a cot is??" Lord Above! We explained just how important a cot is....he said he would continue to check..2 hours later a cot was found from another hotel. No apology..

Next day we waited 25 minutes for breakfast, I was then told the chef couldn't make the Hollandaise sauce as he had run out of the vinegar......Sainsbury's is next door - go there. Other friends staying had walked out of the restaurant the night before as they were so disatisfied by the food - and service.

My daughter had to shower in cool water one day and then cold the following day, she mentioned this to Reception. When we passed through later she was told that Housekeeping had checked and it ran hot after 10 or 20 seconds....right someone is going very wrong here. A guest says they can't get hot water, apologise profusely, say you will ensure it's repaired but do not say they were wrong. Appalling behaviour from a receptionist.

All in all I would recommend that ther staff are given lessons in customer service, they were surly and unfriendly. I would also recommend that the owners either update the rooms or charge a price that reflects the interior of this sad sad place. I am so disappointed, it was not a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't have room 34
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed here in March for a wedding. We paid a little extra - £120 - for a 'Newly refurbished Luxury Double' - thank goodness it was only one night!
The room was quite nice though not what I would call luxury. The lighting was poor and the room was cold.
We had a small garden but there was old doors and windows out there.
The real issue was the bathroom, it hadn't been updated since perhaps the 60-70's, certainly not the contemporary bathroom we were expecting as indicated on our booking. We asked at reception if there had been a mistake but no, we were in the Luxury Double!!
There was black mould on the window sill and very little water pressure, certainly not enough to wash my hair. The toiletries were not very nice (fortunately I had my own) and the towels were scatchy.
The breakfast was quite nice, though very slow in coming, we actually asked if we had been forgotten...
The bar is nice and the barman on duty was quite accomodating.
I emailed the hotel with my comments but have had no response from them.
I would absolutely NOT recommend this hotel to anyone - save your money and stay at The Travel Lodge!!

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
West Calder, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I sympathise with little market town hotels like this, mostly all a bit old and tired and probably not enough business to generate enough income to do anything about it. That's the story here in my humble opinion.

Arrival was a bit strange, you walk in to a bar (sounds like the opeining to a joke :-)) at the front door, the bar's unnocupied and you stand for 3 or 4 minutes waiting and wondering. Then someone tells you (because the bar remained unnocupied) that reception is further though, to the left, back outside, 30 yards up and on the left. Anyway, we found it and check in thereafter was brisk and efficient. Room 3 was spacious enough, double bed, 2 comfortable chairs, a desk with another chair, so certainly no complaints on room size. On the face of it, it was clean enough, just a bit tired and worn. The bathroom was the same, spacious enough, just a bit shabby. Different story in the morning though, I had to shower in moderatley cold water, not what you want on a cold April morning. The bed was comfortable enough and the room was quiet enough.
We hadn't booked breakfast and declined the offer at £12.50pp, I though that extremely high for a small hotel. That said, we did dine in the hotel the previous evening and the quality of food was fine and the prices acceptable.

On a plus side, the staff were all cheery and pleasant.

Overall, we chose this place because it was ranked number 1 of 2 in Thame. It's not a metropolis so you don't have any other choice. It was fine for one night, you just have to align your expectations to where you are going but I wouldn't want to stay much longer.

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms at the back are probably all quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ashford, middx
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We were in Thame for a family weeding and the spread eagle was the hotel all the family and guests were staying. At £95 a night a high expectation was set. I must say I am slightly disappointed as the room we stayed in was dirty, and was in drastic need of some maintenance as the walls had large cracks running along them. The shower was terrible some of our fellow guests could not get hot water. I would not recommend this hotel but on talking to a few locals I believe it's the best of a bad bunch - the local travel in may be a better idea.
Breakfast was nice enough but when it got busy service was very slow and we had to wait around 20 mins for our food to arrive.

• Stayed March 2013
NA
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I arrived at this hotel by chance having been unable to get to the premier inn that my company had booked for me due to the M40 being blocked solid for hours, (who do companies think that PIs are good value?). It was about 21.00 so really last minute stuff! I was offered a choice of rooms and took room 24 which involves a long walk from reception around the horse-shoe shaped building. This was brilliant fun as the corridor follows all kinds of twists and turns with changes of levels as you should expect in such an old building. The room was clean, comfortable & welcoming. It was not sterile and faceless... if you want something like that which seems all brand new, go to a PI. If you want cosiness, come to the Spread Eagle. Breakfast was included, and there was a good choice, fast service and very welcoming. I will happily return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thame
Travelodge Thame Hotel
Mercure Thame Lambert Hotel
Pinewood Hotel
Pinewood Hotel
#13 of 21 in Slough

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel? Share your experiences!