“Restaurant Review”

The Spread Eagle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Thame
Reviewed November 4, 2011

The restaurant is a warm and comfortable place for a meal. The staff and service are all very friendly and efficient. The menu is interesting and most of our food was good. The only let down was being charged £3.50 for triple cooked chips, as potatoes are not included with some dishes. For £3.50 you get 6 (yes six) chips which despite supposedly being "triple cooked" were not fully cooked all the way through,

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank andski
GeneralManagerThame, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

Thank you very much for you your comments.

I am so pleased you enjoyed the restaurant here at The Spread Eagle. I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the triple cooked chips. I trust that you mentioned this to a member of staff. As I would hope that the staff member would of replaced the chips so you could of enjoyed your complete meal.

I have shown your comments to the head chef, and he is looking into the cooking method of the chips we serve. Marcin and all of the kitchen team are sincerely sorry that you did not like the triple cooked chips.

I have done some research regarding cooking methods for chips which I have passed onto the kitchen. I have found a web site which might be of some interest. www.potatolovers.co.uk
Please see the page related to Heston Blumenthal's Triple Cooked Chips

I hope you will return to The Spread Eagle very soon

Yours sincerely

Reviewed November 2, 2011

We returned from a two night family stay at the hotel late October and overall we were mostly disappointed, particularly since we had paid an above average price. After complaining about the suite we were provided with on arrival (which had been changed at the last minute despite booking 3-4 weeks ahead)..old musty smell, dirty stained furniture, two make-shift campbeds up against a damp wall, we were offered the original inter-connecting double/twin rooms onto the garden. This was much better as it had been refurbished and there was no apparently serious problem as first advised - although visitors please note the plumbing and power of the showers leaves a lot to be desired- expected in an old building but we were in a modern extension. I wouldn't use the bath as it was stained and the gold taps were dated and in obvious need of replacement. If the room had been fully refurbished, this may have been a good time to change them. The standing area in the bath for showers is also restrictive - my 6ft+ husband struggled. There were not enough sockets in the room (2 for tv and kettle - and one bedside light with nowhere to plug it in - with phone and laptop to charge, plus hairdyer etc., this was a bit of a pain).

Its clear the front desk reception/management are expected to turn their hand to everything and this shows - there weren't many happy faces (save for the cleaning lady who always had a smile and a hello!).

The Reception area was in need of a clean, particularly behind the reception desk which is on show and a warm welcome was lacking on arrival; as well as during the stay and upon leaving. I never saw a "concierge" any time. On departure we were not asked if we had had a good stay and there were no thanks for our custom, in fact the receptionist made no eye contact and was quite off hand. No complimentary drink or discount offered despite being clear that we were not happy with the room on arrival. We were not the only people complaining about their rooms either and the hotel had about 20 rooms in use so hardly that busy.

The restaurant is excellent however and the decor is lovely (shame it hasn't yet reached the rest of the hotel!). Expensive but actually competes well on price with other venues in the area. Good food and selection of drinks/cocktails at the bar. Tables were a bit dirty at breakfast time and a table cloth would have been nice (perhaps taken from the tables never used in the court yard) - but despite being rushed off their feet, they were very attentive.

We liked the fact the hotel was old and had history, and the musty smell and creaky floor boards reminded you of this but its obvious that their core business comes from weddings and functions. We chose Thame because of family roots there and its a great place to stay but I think it will be a Premier Inn next time where you get a clean room, good facilities and a friendly smile, all at a much lower price!

On a final note, the restaurant emailed me pretty quickly when we got home to ask me for a review of their service which was good but I've not heard from the hotel at all.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a refurbished room. This is not really a family hotel. More for visiting cou...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

-- It is great for all of us here to receive feed-back whether positive or negative.
I have passed your review onto the owner and he is well aware of your frustrations regarding the room. The hotel is has now had conformation that a further refurbishment will take place at the beginning of next year. The points you have raised about the amount of sockets in the room will be carefully considered in the planing of the re-furb.

I can confirm that there was a problem with the rooms prior to your arrival, for that reason we did call you to advise you of that we would be changing your room. I do understand that the room that you were allocated did not live up to your expectations. Hence you were shown the original rooms that you had requested. I am very sorry but I cannot explain why the fault with the room had despaired.

I have spoken directly to all the staff and shown them all of your comments about the lack of smiles in the hotel from all of its staff members. We now have a happy smiley work force. Thank you.
The reception has now had a deep clean, and following a meeting with all of the reception team they have now introduced general house keeping duties into there shifts.
We do not have a concierge here at The Hotel, but again I have introduced a procedure into check in's with the reception team with regards to helping guests with there bags.
You did fill out a feed-back form in the restaurant. This provides us with comments from our customers for us to improve or add to our service. On filling out this form you signed up to our Loyalty Club.

Once again thank you for all of your comments

Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed here for a wedding we were attending and found it great. Our room was great and while not huge there was plenty of room for the 3 of us and the room had a little annex with a single bed in it for our toddler. Rooms were very nicely decorated.

The decor in the hotel is very quirky and the staff are very welcoming without being intrusive.

There was a great choice for the breakfast which is included in the price and the food was very good. Even the meal we had during the wedding was excellent.

Overall I had no complaints and would definitely stay here again. The hotel is situated right in the heart of the town so very convenient for shops or anything else you may need.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We had a thoroughly enjoyable experience: the food was worth every penny. We were amused by the "Alice in Wonderland" furnishings and the staff were affable without beuing intrusive. A good and varied menu: it would have been difficult to find any faults to criticise.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We arrived at the hotel on Friday evening (11pm) and noticed that a wedding party was in full swing - I commented to my partner that I hoped our room wouldn't be backing onto this. We checked into our room and once in it found that it backed right onto where the wedding was being held (room nos 5 if anyone is given it). We were also right next to the walkway where tables and chairs had been set out (I assume for the wedding guests) - the guests seemed to congragate here so my partner and I had 4.5 hours of listening to the disco music and people talking/shouting at each other outside our room - we didn't get to sleep until 2.30am. The room we were given looked nothing at all like the rooms on the website, I would say that a Premier Inn or Travellodge hotel was of a higher standard. The room was very tired and definitely not worth the £90 per night charge.
As we had booked in for 2 nights, we asked to be moved the next morning due to the noise experienced the night before - we were offered no apology but were moved to another room. We had asked to be moved to a quieter part of the hotel but upon arrival to our room, found that it still overlooked the walkway area but was on a higher level! This room was in the same run down state and much smaller than our previous room.
We didn't have time to change rooms again as we were attending a wedding at another venue and didn't have time to pack up our bags again!
All in all we were very disappointed with the quality of the rooms and felt that the website photos of the rooms in no way reflected what is actually on offer.
I wouldn't say £90 for a hotel room is cheap so felt a bit ripped off when paying our bill.
On a positive note, we thought the dining facilities were very nice and reflected the photos on the website, the breakfast was also very nice and the restaurant staff friendly. I would point out that the reception staff of the hotel were not quite so courteous.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room in a quiet area of the hotel - when booking also ask if there is a functi...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Booked 2 single rooms to attend a wedding (not hosted at the hotel). One of the rooms was ok - although not worth the £65 charged. The other was quite bad with peeling wallpaper, creaky floors and a damp smell.
Had some lunch in the restaurant. Food was not good and very overpriced. Breakfast the following morning was rather chaotic - and the staff seemed more than a little frazzled. The food once again was not up to expectations.

The Spread Eagle really has a lot of potential which it currently has a lot of work to do to achieve.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerThame, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

Dear hotel guest.

Thank you very much for your comments.

It would be very helpful for myself and the staff at The Spread Eagle if you could contact us directly concerning the issues you had on your stay with us, as I can get these areas fixed for future guests.

As for the restaurant I am very concerned that the food was not up to your high standards. I would be interested to hear what dishes you had and what the problems were. again if you could respond to me directly. I have also spent alot of time comparing prices for food items around the surrounding area so that The Spread Eagle is certainly not over priced and in-line with the other local restaurants in the area.

I trust that you understand the complexity of a breakfast service. The Spread eagle offers a cooked breakfast as part of its room rate. We do struggle with weekend breakfasts from time to time, I will happy admit too, every weekend we do place extra staff on for the service both front and back of house, but as you can image it does get hard when all the hotel guests arrive for breakfast at the same time. Potentially we have to cook and serve over 70 breakfast in just over 45 minutes.

Sometimes we do let our guests down for that we are very sorry, but it is only with feed back from customers like yourself that we can learn and fix our mistakes.

Your review has been addressed in our weekly management meeting and been addressed with all the departments of The Spread Eagle.

Once again if you would like to raise your concerns with me I would be delighted.

Thank you again for your comments, they have been a great help.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed September 24, 2011

We were attending a friend's wedding which was very well planned and organised. The meal was very good and the service friendly and efficient. After having been at the pinewood in Slough where we had a great time we headed to this good venue where we had nice food and service at a decent price.

Room Tip: The new refurbished room are very nice
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thame
The Swan Hotel
Pinewood Hotel
Pinewood Hotel
#13 of 21 in Slough
The Oxfordshire Golf Club & Hotel

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel? Share your experiences!